Advanced Multisite functions

Luis

Howdie,

my wish is to get more controll over a multisite-setup in one place, like a main admin on which I could communicate with all connected pages out of the box.

For the moment I end up in a setup with a global modules and global templates folder. Every Site has a news section which communicates with the main site via the 'Pages Web Service' 

But connecting to the multisite users/data out of the box would be a great addition.

• Like 2

I'm guessing that you're already familiar with it, but the Multisite module Antti wrote does awesome job when you want tightly connected sites. If that's too much, custom interfaces (or pages web service, as you already mentioned) make it possible to design exactly the type of coupling you need.

Just saying; your idea sounds great, though not sure if this would make that much sense as a core addition, considering that it's pretty specific need you have there and all the building blocks are already available, so to speak :)

I didn´t choose Anttis module because I need an own database for each site, even if they share the same modules and the same templates. Every site has his own user base and differs completely in terms of data and data handling.

Just to clarify:

Mothership Site -> own database - registration form - handles clients and submissions - connects to subsites via one user

-- created subsites -> own database - own users - communicates with mothership 

I wrote a little script which unzip a site profile, creates the client specific database and writes his config.php. 

Every module I place into my modules folder would be installed automatically on every subsite if got a specific prefix. 

I could imagine that a strong support for multisite setups would help to improve or even make some nice ideas possible.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

shared modules like drupals "all" folder would be awesome (it´s bit ago since my last drupal site?!) but as I remember you can have different sites with different databases like PW but every module/theme you put in "all" folder will be accessible from every site so you can save diskspace and so on

shared admin could be interesting as well but probably a little specific as teppo mentioned

shared modules like drupals "all" folder would be awesome (it´s bit ago since my last drupal site?!) but as I remember you can have different sites with different databases like PW but every module/theme you put in "all" folder will be accessible from every site so you can save diskspace and so on

I've been thinking about something along these lines too, though more like "custom module paths", i.e. an option for adding multiple module locations. Either way this would be nice :)

• Like 1