Large Scale PW-Sites / Spread PW / Help needed

felix

We recently won a pitch for a website of a larger organization that we hope will gain a lot of visits and interest (in our region). The specification book didn't force a CMS to be used but recommended using typo3 as the clients old website is already running with it.

Of course(!) we are planning to build the website with processwire as it's our current CMS of choice (and because Typo3 is a pain in the a... ;) ). After presenting PW to the client's IT-Department and the internal ressources that will be creating content they are interested but still not convinced because there are few example showcases and experience reports that match their organization size (1k+ employeers).

As a result we were asked to collect some Information on large scale processwire sites and the companys behind them. Plus (if possible) give them some contacts on organization side who they can talk to about experiences (everyday work, performance, security).

So: If any of you can help us with that (examples, contacts) your help will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest for PW as a system when the website will be built with it.

• Like 5

You read the specification book and you already decided PW could meet te requirements. Just out of curiosity, what is it that would really test and/or be special for PW in this case? Volume of pages, concurrent users in PW backend, heavy traffic?

Actually there isn't anything "special". The site will have to handle a pretty decent amount of traffic and there will be a lot of custom Code to connect the Website with various webservices. But that is even easier to achieve in pw than it would have been in typo3. It's just the Client that likes to have some sort of security apart from what we are telling him.

• Like 1

ere are few example showcases and experience reports that match their organization size (1k+ employeers).

u building website no ?

or u renovates company bathrooms ?

tell.client look at web sites traffic 

not no. employee 

disclainer : i used to cleans  bathrooms

so i lookd at no. employee

• Like 8

Sorry felix that I can't help you with what you specifically need, but I think - as SiNNut mentioned - it might be a good idea to break the clients questions  down to concrete concerns instead of trying to cope with his diffuse discomfort. As a consultant I would ask the client what it is in particular he is concerned about and then trying to address this points. Narrowing things down to practical problems and their solutions makes it easier for you to compare PW with Typo 3 (which is indeed much overestimated) and to offer concrete solutions for concrete problems. (while showing him how easy it is to set up XYZ in PW he might even forget about his other concerns ...). In addition, offering solutions - even if it is only for a detail - gives you the chance to re-enter the driver seat and strengthen your position as an expert they hired for getting the job done. If you come up with a lot of references you are still not directing the process. That's the problem I see here.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

• Like 3

Hey totoff,

thanks for the input. You're absolutly right with what you are saying. That's why we've already "been there, done that". We did a comparison and a live demo, Featurelistings and adressed all of their points. We even offered a contract to continue pw core & feature development if it's been discontinued for some reason. As I said: It's not that the customer doesn't like the system from a feature and usability point of view. But having a certain company size sometimes includes making sure there are some numbers you can rely on that save your back in case of "political" pressure. And that's what we are searching for to give him the needed security.

Very big part of our business at Avoine is build on top of ProcessWire. We are something between 2.5 to 3 million euros revenue currently and working with ProcessWire since 2010. Solutions we build on top of this platform are things like websites, applications like event management, voting systems and member portals. Our clients include some of the biggest non profit organizations in Finland.

Our focus and pw usage only grows from day to day. Happy to tell you (or your client) more if needed.

• Like 10

@Joss: When it comes to larger sized projects and traffic i'd ask ryan or mike from cmscritic (or even willy) for some stats. But sadly it's more dependent on organization size for the reasons already stated.

@apeisa: Thank you very much. I'll contact you soon for sure!

• 1 month later...