Hack

teppo

I've been reading about Hack this morning and I must admit that I'm getting quite excited, to say the least. Just wanted to share this with you folks, in case that someone else might find this interesting too.

Long story short: Hack is a new language based on PHP, used and developed by Facebook. It's compatible with existing PHP code apart from certain features, such as variable variables, that they had to remove to keep things consistent.

There's a bunch of new features that Hack introduces (such as asynchronous functions, lambda expressions and collections, just to name a few), but it's primary addition is (optional) static typing and real-time type checking via local server sniffing file changes -- something that should come in handy especially when working with larger and more complex codebases.

For the record, I don't particularly have issues with PHP as it is, but it seems to me that Hack introduces exactly the kind of features that I've been missing without sacrificing anything I couldn't live without.. not to mention that this is another good reason to finally try HHVM, which is now able run both Hack and PHP  :)

• Like 6