Just installed locally and have some questions

bwakad

I installed the skyscraper to see how it looks and all. But I do wonder...

1. In any CMS you would have a front end login or register. Is this available in processwire?

2. A front-end submission form would also be nice, but the only one I see is the payed one. Are there more options available?

thanks

Welcome!

Two little questions that have rather large answers, to be honest.

First of all, I suggest that you ignore front end for the moment till you get your head round the rest of the process (see what I did there?)

The key to ProcessWire is the incredibly powerful APi which allows you to build any functionality - Form Builder is a module that allows you to create front end forms very easily, but they can also be built manually.

So, I suggest you do one or other of the tutorials in the Wiki just to get the hang of how the system works and as a very basic introduction to the API

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Main_Page

Next step is to look at the API (linked on the top menu) and especially the Cheat Sheet. 

http://cheatsheet.processwire.com/

That will give you a clue to how much is possible with ProcessWire.

The point with PW is that it is not quite an out-of-the-box solution like the Drumlapress mob, but it allows you a lot more versatility and does not shoehorn you into one particular way of working.

Having said that, it is not a scarily complicated system either - many of us started using it with very little development knowledge, but have found it manageable and we have learned a huge amount.

And had fun in the process.(I did it again..!")

So, get your hands dirty with the tutorials and then ask any specific questions you need - you will find the people on the forums here are, quite uniquely, rather better than boring old docs!

• Like 3

Thanks for your answer. I noticed how much is possible with this software. Coming from WP and Joomla, I actually was searching for other software until someone mentioned processwire in a topic about cck's. The approuch that - not only - views, are self made is an advantage. I was getting tired about changing all the css templates and files because of Jooma + template + component working against eachother.

I will look into your mentioned links/topics.

• Like 2

Yes, a couple of us got to here having played with Joomla + Seblod, which I found horribly frustrating.

Yes, this does require more actual writing of code than those do, but the result is so much lighter, faster and yet more powerful, that it is quite liberating - especially that once you output your data it is so easy to display it in any way you like, with any framework you like and with any JS or JQuery plugin you want and so on.

I will say though that I spent so much time with Joomla and CCKs trying to bend them to what I actually wanted to do, that PW was actually QUICKER to work with. And, of course, any functionality you create will be EXACTLY what the client wants rather than a compromise.

Trust me, you will never go back.

• Like 2

Here is a link to a post that links to several others on creating a custom front-end login:

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/5121-frontend-users-validation-processing/?p=49360

Here's a great thread on creating a custom front-end form:

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2089-create-simple-forms-using-api/

PW may lack some inbuilt functionality, but it more than makes up for it in flexibility.

• Like 2

Well, you all so helpful :) great links! I have no trouble diggin in php. I actually like it.

I also had the feeling Jooma and whatever you put on top/inside never seems to integrate the way it should be.

Worked on seblod, fabrik, cobalt, etc. And yes. You always end up having to change just too much.

But before I do look into the last links provided:

I installed skyscraper just to see how everything works. I found out, it is not responsive (CSS), and I would like to start with a bootstrap (responsive) if this is available. Does anyone know where I can find such a template?

Hi, thanks. I did however change to the foundation 4. Right now I try to see how the structure is (template/pages).

The idea is to have a job site with javascript/svg maps for easy searching.

Did it with OSClass in the past. But that software is actually lacking of fields adding / search / filtering / css (last one is really not good).

So my first task is to create the pages:

Frontpage as usual with possibilities, and main map.

For main search links I use the menu e.g. pages.

Then I have to create a front-login and user groups.

After that I need to have the submission for entries.

In the foundation example text it says:

Each of the template files in this site profile includes the header template (head.inc), outputs the bodycopy, and then includes the footer template (foot.inc). This is to avoid duplication of the markup that is the same across all pages in the site. This is just one strategy you can use for templates.

but there are no such files...?

You have a good point about the head and foot inc files. It looks like Ryan used the text from the default PW profile which does use that approach. His Foundation profile however actually uses a different approach using _main.php

Take a look at:

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/FoundationSiteProfile/blob/master/templates/_main.php

Notice that this file contains the entire structure needed for an html page. The content from the PW pages is echoed in various places in this template. For example:

<div id="bodycopy" class="large-8 columns" role="content">

<?php
            echo renderBreadcrumbs($page->parents);
            echo $body;
            ?>
        </div><!--/#bodycopy-->

PW lets you work exactly how you want, which can be confusing for some users at first, but you'll come to appreciate it.

• Like 1