PW vs Drupal new project

freestone

I am still inclined to use the template as tables with my own foreign keys since I now understand the page CRUD

You can, but you will be missing a lot...

How can I pop out a calendar to pick the date?

post-88-0-76312100-1395955604_thumb.png

• Like 1

OK.... going to read the tree explanation 20 times and revisit Antti's Shop module code with all this great new info you guys have shared. 

If I can expand on Antti's order creations process to add the extra fields I need to capture and instead associate an order to an authenticated user I think I can start to do some work.  Oh how I don't want to bail and go back to Drupal.

Is this the module I want to authenticate users and let them set up their own profile ? http://modules.processwire.com/modules/frontend-user-profile/   

I will need to associate my orders to logged in user and allow them to see past order they have placed..... I dont want them to have to put all their info in each time they order.

To be honest, and no offense intended to the author of that module, but I don't believe it is really stable yet and unfortunately he hasn't been responsive to fixing some of the issues. The other issue is that it includes a lot of fields that you may not use.

I think you'd be much better off creating your own system for front-end user management - it is very easy. This post from Ryan should get you started:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/1716-integrating-a-member-visitor-login-form/?p=15919

• Like 2

Well, to answer your original question...

Based on my experience with both systems and a bias for PW, Drupal is actually the right tool for the job in this case. It's a pain in the ass to work with (3 year learning curve is typical) and you'll have more fun using PW (Drupal 8 is actually pretty awesome, but not stable yet). If this was a personal project where time and budget weren't a concern, I'd say use PW. You'll have a better product, because it's custom and built exactly to your needs and it's using a better framework. Since that's not the case, you may be looking at 500 hours of work and testing to implement the remaining features into PW. 

1.  Has to be tablet and phone responsive.
2.  Easy two level nav bar (menu)
3.  Has to manage orders as it is a service oriented e-commerce site.  Shop for PW looks like 60% of what I need. (Drupal module exists)
4.  Need to easily be able to ask the users a series of questions and build an “order” based on the answers.  Some of the questions will result in form changes that would ask yet different questions.  So I need to look at some good code for DB interaction.  Perhaps looking closer at Shop will ramp me up there since the DB interaction I need is all order related. (Drupal module exists)
5.  I need to interact with a tool that will calculate mileage from address A to Address B. (Drupal module exists)
6.  I need authorize.net payment gateway. (Drupal module exists)
7. Standard social media like/follow
8.  Contact Form with email to multiple email addresses.
9.  I need to expose the Orders and other order related info to admin users that should only see the order management (none of
the standard PW admin).  I think I understand what you'd like to do and I believe there is partial support, but not as robust as Drupal permissions (which in most cases is fine). Look at the permissions and role modules. There's a module which adds field permissions and there are some which add page specific permissions.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

RHJ1cGFsIGlzIGJldHRlciB0aGFuIFBXLg0KDQpCdXQgdGhlbiBhZ2FpbiB5b3Ugd2lsbCBub3QgZmluZCBhbiBvYmplY3RpdmUgYW5zd2VyIGluIGEgZm9ydW0gbGlrZSB0aGlzLCB0aGlzIGlzIGEgUFcgZm9ydW0uICBJdCBpcyBmYWlyIHRvIHNheSB0aGF0IHRoZSBvbmx5IHdheSB0byBmaW5kIG91dCBpcyB0byB0ZXN0IHRoZXNlIENNU3MgYWdhaW5zdCB5b3VyIG93biBwcm9qZWN0cy4gIEFuZCB0aGUgbnVtYmVycyB3aWxsIHNwZWFrIGZvciB0aGVtc2VsdmVzLCB0aGVyZSBhcmUgcmVhc29ucyB3aHkgcGVvcGxlIHVzZSBzb21lIENNUyBtb3JlIHRoYW4gdGhlIG90aGVyLg==

Edited by Martijn Geerts
Encoded childish post

Drupal is better than PW.

But then again you will not find an objective answer in a forum like this, this is a PW forum. It is fair to say that the only way to find out is to test these CMSs against your own projects. And the numbers will speak for themselves, there are reasons why people use some CMS more than the other.

Quite frankly, i am starting to get annoyed with your posts. I get the impression that all you do is start threads, or digg up old ones, with the sole intention of trolling around. I suggest you stop this.

• Like 1