Lister

ryan

Very nice job guys !!!!!

I noticed on the video that some countries were missing, for example Cyprus :)

Of course, I know that is still under construction that is why many features are missing but I LIKE the concept a lot.

Keep up the good work guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is fabulous, ditto the thanks others have said to Apeisa, Antti, Avoine, Ryan and anyone else who contributed to this coming out. Only sorry I missed it until now.

+1 for what tobaco said. Excuse me if I missed it, but this seems so good a way to build custom queries and results o/p that I assume I can get build queries as shown and present them on the public side too?

Think of Lister as a powerful administrative tool, but definitely not a front-end tool. With much power comes much responsibility. :) You can access any piece of data in the site from ProcessWire selectors (and correspondingly, Lister), so it's not something you want coming from just any user's input. When it comes to ListerPro, that goes even further and lets you modify any piece of data in your site en masse. 

I explained that question poorly, I was thinking, while Lister is clearly an uber powerful Admin tool, as a by-product piece of functionality, could a Lister 'view' (a preconstructed 'find') be made visible on a public page (read-only, fixed results, no controls available to the public)?

It would be a sort of query and results builder for custom finds.

I hope that question makes sense and I've not misunderstood something obvious(!).

• Like 4

InputfieldSelector is the query builder. PW now has Selector fieldtype and inputfield in a core. That means you can add it to any page, and then you have it's selector value available in your templates. There it is reasonable simple to use that selector to build table and pagination for that data (maybe using jquery datatables and like). I don't think Lister has been develop at all front end in mind, so while it might be possible to it offer a "public view", I am not sure if it's good thing (it is obviously already quite a complex module). I think it could easily end up for something that views is for Drupal, and I remember I never learned that tool (it probably is huge productivity boost for those who can handle it)...

InputfieldSelector of course misses the "columns" part, ie. choosing which fields to show. You cannot have it all.. or can you? :)

• Like 2

This is just awesome, I was just starting work on something like this when I noticed the push via IRC.

Any estimations on to when the Pro version will be available? And will this support presetting (and hiding) filter values?

[...] while Lister is clearly an uber powerful Admin tool, as a by-product piece of functionality, could a Lister 'view' (a preconstructed 'find') be made visible on a public page (read-only, fixed results, no controls available to the public)?

It would be a sort of query and results builder for custom finds.

What Ryan and Antti are saying here definitely makes sense (and they're the ones to know the module best anyway) but this was exactly what we were wondering too when that first Lister screencast hit our office. For 90% or more of all product, news, event etc. lists and/or tables Lister views would be more than enough.

No custom, site-specific code and even being able to allow customer decide exactly what is visible and where.. and then modify that whenever needed -- how damn cool would that be?

In case you ever decide to take Lister to that direction, it'd be a killer feature for a lot of sites (and an awesome time-saver for people building those sites), but I totally understand that this was never your intention and it would probably require a ton of extra work. Perhaps even so much that building another tool just for that would make more sense. Still, +1 for this idea from me/us :)

• Like 5

PS: In my innocence over the amount of work required to get Lister here let alone to do more, I naively thought "Oo? Wouldn't it be cool if once a view/report was veiwing how I wanted it I could "Press a button" [totally sounding like an end-user there ;)] and Lister produces a Hanna style slug and I just insert that where I want the output".

If Lister is 'free' and Luster (sort of even sexier Lister) was charged I would buy it ^_^

PPS: +1 for what teppo said much more eloquently than I did :)

<small>PPPS: Do I win a prize for the name Luster? No? Oh.</small>

Edited by alanfluff

I think markup module that takes few variables: selector, fields, results per page and then renders the list would be cool. That could be used together with InputfieldSelector or just as independent helper.

Teppo, you should build that!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yup - it's installed by default - it is used to display users (Access > Users) and also Pages > Find.

With the standard version of Lister you can't add custom views - that requires Lister Pro, which hasn't been released yet, but should be available when PW 2.5 is released which should be too far away.

What you see in the lister video is a very early version of lister before Ryan split it into Lister and Lister Pro. Unfortunately you will need to wait for Lister Pro to be released if you want to be able to create those custom lister items in the admin interface, but the use of lister in Pages > Find is very powerful already and you can instruct your users how to easily add a new filter that limits the view to a particular parent.

• 4 weeks later...

On the dev branch 2.4.9, is it possible to use the new InputFieldSelector with the Page Fieldtype?

I'm looking to use Selector to provide a better UI for selecting large, complex sets of pages as Page references.

Currently, I'm able to set up a Page field using Selector as the InputField, but when saving a page with this field, nothing is being saved to the DB. 

Not sure if this is planned for 2.5 but I'm trying it a bit too early, or maybe I'm missing a step in the setup...

Thanks!

Thanks apeisa, 

That works except that I want to use the resulting pages as part of a $pages->find( ) not just at run time.

For example, If I have a Template and set of Pages representing Cities, and another Template and set of Pages representing Laws.  I want to have a FieldTypePage in the Laws template that allows Cities as children, and use InputFieldSelector to make it easy to add page references. Then I could use Subfield Selectors to find all Laws for a given city/cities.

With just the SelectorFieldType, I could output what Cities apply to a given Law at runtime in a template, but I can't access those values for searching/filtering. 

Make sense?

• Like 1