Release: Discussions

apeisa

Personally, I think PW is better off focusing on the CMS rather than worrying about building a forum solution. This just distracts and removes time better spent on expanding and improving an already excellent CMS. There are plenty of exceptional forum solutions out there already, why not use one of them? A native one just become a lot more work starting from scratch when tons of options already exist.

That's my two cents.

• Like 6

Personally, I think PW is better off focusing on the CMS rather than worrying about building a forum solution. This just distracts and removes time better spent on expanding and improving an already excellent CMS. There are plenty of exceptional forum solutions out there already, why not use one of them? A native one just become a lot more work starting from scratch when tons of options already exist.

PW in itself, yes, but I don't see why a 3rd party module shouldn't explore this. I also wouldn't call existing open source forum solutions "exceptional" (Discourse was started because of stagnation in the forum world). I just think someone clever might be able to create a forum toolkit for PW that would allow people to build different takes of forum-like interaction as opposed to a ready-made solution.

I also share Mike's opinion, that forums are best left to dedicated software and we've already got a lot of great options. Part of this is that I think the huge scope of forums and the potential needs are not apparent until you run one. A CMS dedicated purely to community generated content (forum software) is a completely different animal than another type of CMS. The focus of features needs a very different slant, especially on the administrative side. What I'd be more interested in is bridges between ProcessWire and forum software, so that one can more easily communicate between the two. I know that Pete has been working on and off on this stuff for awhile with IP.Board and ProcessWire. Hopefully we'll be using some of those solutions on this site eventually too. 

An integrated forum could use/ interact with pw fields, same login, profile and permissions/ roles.

Discussions is a starting point but no update since two years (only a proof of concept).

So a dedicated forum software needs a good api to share information with pw (loggedIn/ Session, permissions, profile fields). 

Anybody working on a bridge module for a forum? Vanilla, SMF, IP.Board,...?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Apeisa. 

I´ve been testing your excelent modul but I can´t underestand why posts displays under the input form like a link again. This link opens no existing page. I´ve tried to find a answer somewhere in forum but without success. 

For more clear demonstration a printscreen is attached. 

Great thanks for your help. I am really newbe in PW. post-2107-0-55099600-1392498154_thumb.jp

Great thanks for your marvellously fast answer. You are right. I use the basic template where in foot.inc is this repeating functinon. 

As I wrote in my first post I am really newbe. 

I am very looking forward to new one. 

• 1 month later...

Just out of interest, do you plan on developing this further? If I had the talent to create something like this, I would with some more additions. Current forum solutions just don't integrate right with the site I'm trying to develop.

I'd much prefer this, or something like it, to gain a few more features and be a paid-for module rather than free.

There might be some development coming for this module, but not planning to commercial this (not even able to, since this is build mainly on my work time). What features you are interested in?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There might be some development coming for this module, but not planning to commercial this (not even able to, since this is build mainly on my work time). What features you are interested in?

Hi, I've not actually tried your mod yet, so some of these features are probably already implemented, but I'm looking for something that can handle the following:

I'm using Foundation 5 for my site layout, so I'd like to be able to output the forum elements accordingly.

Private conversations (groups) / Private messages.

Profiles, with the ability to add extra fields etc.

An option that allows comments on articles/pages etc to create a new forum topic, so that users can reply in the forum, or on the actual article/page etc.

Moderation tools, copy, move, close, pin, ban etc.

If this isn't possible or will never be then I can look elsewhere. Either way, thanks for your time.

apeisa: was wondering if you can share the any URL's that uses the forum module you created. Would be great to see it in action.  I was also wondering if you think using CKEedit with this module on the front-end would be advisable/possible? 

would using fredi in conjunction with forum allow for this or would that be a giant security blunder? Better to include CKEditor JS on the front end of site?

@GuruMeditationi
it's worth looking at the source code for the module. it is 410 lines of code. It's pretty bare bare bones as far as forum's go, but the essentials are there to build something awesome if you have the time.  

"Private messages"

You would have to create this feature but, this page makes it seem pretty simple.

"Profiles, with the ability to add extra fields etc."
Supported through processwire. All users are pages and can have custom fields. 

"An option that allows comments on articles/pages etc to create a new forum topic, so that users can reply in the forum, or on the actual article/page etc."

I'm wondering about the "best" way to do it myself. But certainly looks possible.

"Moderation tools, copy, move, close, pin, ban etc."
copy, move,  delete are all possible through the admin interface. Ban, close and pin would require some simple changes to module i think.

Does not look like there is email notification/topic watching support yet either.  

Forgiveness in for any wrong information, I hope some one can correct me as I am still pretty new to all this as well. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

Just discovered this awesome CMS and would like to use it to convert my sites, however, they both have large discussion forums, so a good Forum module is essential.  If you're open to new ideas, I'd like to work with you to implement them.  I think they are essential for a good Forum and great user experience.

Thanks,

Ray

On 2017-4-19 at 1:23 AM, rayorg said:

If you're open to new ideas, I'd like to work with you to implement them.

Welcome to ProcessWire!

Since you are interested in the issue of a "missing" Forum module for ProcessWire, you might want to review a few topics already in our forum:

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, loukote said:

@apeisa

Hi,

the module is tagged as compatible up to pw 2.2. Would it be safe with pw 3.x?

I have actually used it on an old site that I upgraded to PW 3 and it seemed to work fine. The site isn't really active anymore unfortunately (government budgets and all mean that the program is no longer active), so I haven't checked in a year, but I think you'll be ok. It's a pretty simple module.

• Like 1