Marco Angeli

migrating site from subdomain

Hi there,

I installed PW here: new.mydomain.com

Then I'll switch to www.mydomain.com

I think all I have to do is copy all the files from "new" to root, isn't it?

(I mean: there's no need to transfer DB, right?)

it depends on what you want to do with the installation in new.mydomain.com

If you drop them after successfully copied over, there is no need for transferring the DB.

If you want keep the new.mydomain.com for future testings, you should not use the same DB for both. Then you should copy your DB and modify your test-domain to use that insteed.

Just my thoughts,  :)

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alanxptm
      Hi, I have already tried in different ways and many times to migrate but I always have issues at the end.
      Here's what I have done so far:

case 1:
      1. Install PW on live server (all normal)
      2. Import local DB into live DB
      3. Front page site seems to work but I cannot login into admin page
      case 2 (I'm currently on this stage):
      1. Copied all files from local to live server
      2. Import local DB into live empty DB
      3. Front page works, but any other page and admin page are 404

In both cases:
      - I have changed config.php info accordingly to live server (DB name, DB user and pwd, userauthsalt code)
      - Uncommented RewriteBase / and RewriteBase /pw/ lines on .htaccess
      - applied owner and group permissions to www-data for PW location
      - applied permissions to folders and files accordingly
      - applied a2enmod rewrite to apache2 on live server and restarted service

I have read some posts (Ryan's too) about migration and it seems to me that I'm doing it fine, don't know what it fails-
      I'm on VMWare machine, Ubuntu Server 18.04, php 7.2, phpMyAdmin 5.0.1
      Hope you can help me, thanks in advance
    • By franciccio-ITALIANO
      Hi, I must change server provider.
      I don't want rewtrite all page and articles, what must I do?
      I download a database copy on my pc, and now?

Thanks!!
    • By Shailaja
      I have a subdomain. Now i dont to use that subdoamin so i have deleted but if I open the subdomain it is redirecting to 404 page.
      Thank you in advance.

• By joeck
      Hi Guys,
      I'm trying to do my first migration to the customers existing server (IIS 10) . I ran the site as a subdirectory on my website for test purposes (everything works fine).
      Following the tutorial of Joss, I tryed the site on a local xampp server to make sure, it also works on a root directory. So far so good, everything works.
      Now I moved the files (from the xampp) to the customers server. The root/index page is shown but for every subpage i get 404 Errors...
      Hence I followed the troubleshooting guide for not working URLs:
      On the first sight, the .htaccess file is not recognized, therefore I contacted the host support. They said, it is recognized but not all modules are supported in the processwire .htaccess file. I did the "öalskjfdoal" test in the .htaccess file and didn't get a 500 Error.... BUT the rewrite rule from the hosts support, to proof the file is read, DID work... The support claims, they do not provide debugging... so basically the .htaccess file is recognized and working, but not throwing any errors (for whatever reason).
      Working rewrite rule (from support):
      RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteRule ^test\.asp$ index.html [NC,L] RewriteRule ^test\.html$ konzept.html [NC,L] RewriteRule ^test2\.html$ team.html [NC,L] The support said, a couple modules are not supported in the htaccess file, the supported ones are listed here: http://www.helicontech.com/ape/ (I think mod_rewrite is supported)
      As I do not completely understand what exactly is happening in the htaccess file, I'm stuck. I tried all suggestions I found regarding this topic on the forum, but none of them solved the problem.

.htaccess.txt
    • By Entice
      Hi.
      I'm trying to figure out what might be the best approach when using PW for your CMS, but needing access custom tables. I know you can query your custom tables, so that's not my question here. What I'm trying to figure out is if I should separate an application from PW.
      Out of the box, the application I will be using has its' own tables and the app is built towards using those tables, so I don't want to rewrite the app to use PW, seems too much work.

I do however want to use PW for the CMS and frontend where my users can add/update rows in those custom tables. Now the app itself can be connected from various devices on a handful of ports, so I'm expecting a high volume of requests to the app to a point where I'm seriously considering a dedicated server for this project.
      Would it be beneficial to create a whole subdomain just for the app and use PW to query the db? Or should I keep the 2 in the same db? Pros/Cons would be great here.
      Thanks!