WireMailSmtp

horst

1 minute ago, adrian said:

Unfortunately this is probably a path to disaster these days - spam has made email painful and I think the only reliable option these days is to go with a transactional email service like MailGun, Postmark, SendInBlue etc. And be sure to spend the time to learn about and properly implement DKIM, SPF, and a DMARC policy.

ugh..ok.

but... it works fine from my localhost dev server though?!

Just now, Jonathan Sachse Mikkelsen said:

ugh..ok.

but... it works fine from my localhost dev server though?!

I'll defer to horst on the troubleshooting of it actually sending. I am just talking about the deliverability issues you are likely to deal with. If the emails are only to site editors/staff you may be ok, but if they are being sent to site users then it's likely going to be an issue at least in my experience. Maybe others will disagree?

pfffffff... ok everyone thanks for the replies!

but i think i just found the problem.

The client hadn't filled out the subject line field in the back-end, so i was trying to send emails with no subject lines.

so i guess all the send requests got filtered by a spam filter or something, or they were just invalid. But now they are being send.

Stupid mistake, which took way too many hours to correct! But that's web development for you i guess ? 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've been using Wire Mail for a while and now I would like to change its signature settings to send a signature along the email message "only when explicitly called via the API" (currently I have "automatically with every Message").

WireMail-signature-settings.png.a30ce971328a473dc13f39147919fcca.png

My questions are:

1. How and where to call the signature API? That is, which code should I use and in which file should I add this code to have a "signature on demand"?
  2. I'm also using Form Builder and other PW modules that send emails with Wire Mail. How and where to set the signature via API for them, in particular for Form Builder?
  3. How to customise the signature if you don't want to use (and send) the Sender Signature set in Wire Mail module settings?

On 3/3/2014 at 1:36 AM, horst said:

addSignature ( true | false ) - the default-behave is selectable in config screen, this can be overridden here
(only available if a signature is defined in the config screen)

Hi @LAPS,

current implementation only allows one signature, set in the config screen. The option only defines when it should be send: never everytime or defined via API.

Maybe it would be a nice addition to have a API method to pass in different signatures.

Edited by horst

• 1 month later...

I've used this module a number of times and it works well. Now I am trying to use it in a multi-instance environment and am a bit stuck. Is this possible at all?

To explain: I have two sites (in a  PW multi-site setup - although I think the issue would be the same even if they were completely separate). "site" is a private admin site and "site-web" is a public website. "site-web" accesses "site" via an instance as described in https://processwire.com/blog/posts/multi-instance-pw3/.

"site" has a contact form which is accessed by "site-web" and has WireMailSmtp installed. When completed, an email is sent using $mail=wireMail(). This works fine when the public site is not a PW site. However, when it is a PW site (as "site-web" is), the context for WireMail is "site-web", not "site", so $mail returns a WireMail class, not a WireMailSmtp class. I cannot find a way to call WireMail in the right instance context. If I try and call WireMailSmtp directly, it is operating in the wrong context and fails.

I guess I could install a copy of WireMailSmtp on "site-web", but then I need to maintain the config on both sites. Besides it seems counter-intuitive that using a non-PW site for the public site should be easier than doing it in PW!

I'd be grateful for any ideas or insights.

Can you give concrete examples to the following?

Are you able, and if so, how do you create your instances instance_A and instance_B, and which one is called from where?

You have to be aware that WireMailSmtp supports PW Versions up from 2.4.1 until now. There wasn't any multi instance available and it can be that it is not easily possible to implement it into the module. But it can be possible to find a simple to use and easy to maintainable way. Therefor, I need to know how you are using it, how the code snippets look like.

Where is your instance_A, where your instance_B,

how do you create the second instance,

where and how do you call the wireMail object?

14 minutes ago, horst said:

Where is your instance_A, where your instance_B,

In your terminology, lets say instance_B is "site" and instance_A is "site-web". Both sites sit under the same root, sharing the same wire/ (i.e. a multi-site installation).

17 minutes ago, horst said:

how do you create the second instance,

in _init.php (part of the template rendering) in instance_A:

$config->admin_site = new ProcessWire($config->paths->root . 'site/');

I use $config->admin_site so that it can be accessed anywhere (assuming the current context is instance_A).

20 minutes ago, horst said:

where and how do you call the wireMail object?

Ah, that's a bit (!) more complicated. Instance_A accesses a runtime markup field in instance_B thus:

$adminPage = $config->admin_site->pages->get("template=Availability, name=bawd-hall-availability");
$availabilityTable = $adminPage->runtime_markup_availability;

This field renders php in the file Availability.php, which lives in instance_B ("site")

Availability.php renders a form thus:

$out .= $config->admin_site->files->render($currentPath . 'booking_form.php');

where $currentPath is $files->currentPath(); - i.e. booking_form is a sibling of Availability. (BTW, Availability.php checks the host name in the headers to determine whether it is being called as a second instance or not).

booking_form's action is $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] (i.e. the original page, thus running Availability.php again). Availability.php tests (isset($_GET["submit"]) ) and if true processes the POST variables from the form. After validation, the mail is constructed from these variables with $mail = wireMail(); etc.

For more background (if you really want ? ) you can see here, where @kongondo was extremely helpful getting the RuntimeMarkup Fields module working in a multi-instance environment.

@MarkE, it is not necessary for me to know what and which forms you are using and how you have organized this. ?

I only want to know where and how you call the WireMail object.

Is it in the runtime markup field? Where and how do you call it?

13 minutes ago, horst said:

Is it in the runtime markup field?

Yes. The php for that field is Availability.php, which is in instance_B, and calls mail as described above. Not sure what more info you want re "where and how". Abbreviated code for this script is below:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;
$headers = getallheaders();
$permittedNonPW = array_map('trim', array_map('strip_tags', explode(',', $page->bodyTop)));
$permittedPW = array_map('trim', array_map('strip_tags', explode(',', $page->bodyFoot)));
// If site is a PW site, then need to deal with the different instances
if (in_array($headers['Host'], $permittedPW)) {
    $site = $config->admin_site;
    $config->sitePages = $config->admin_site->pages;
} else {
    $site = wire();
    $config->sitePages = $pages;
}
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Process any form results:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// define variables and set to empty values
$name = $email_address = $phone = $fromToDate = $adults = $children = $pets = $provbooking = $message = $spambot = "";
$fromerror = $toerror = $radioerror = $propertyName = "";

function test_input($data) {
   //.........
    return $data;
}

if (isset($_GET["submit"])) {
    $out = '';
    if ($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST") {
        $propertyName = test_input($_POST["property"]);
        //...... //fill variables
    }
       //......
            $mail = wireMail();
            if($mail->className != 'WireMailSmtp') {
                wire()->log->save('debug', 'Could not get the right WireMail-Module (WireMailSmtp); found: ' . $mail->className);
            } else {
                $mail->to($to)
                    ->from($myemail)
                    ->subject($email_subject)
                    ->bodyHTML($email_body_top . $email_body);
                $numsent = $mail->send();
                if ($numsent > 0) {
                    //.....
                        $out .= '<script>alert("Your request has been submitted - you should receive an automated email acknowledgement shortly.")</script>';
                   //.....
    $url = strtok($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], '?');
    $out .= '<script>window.location.assign("' . $url . '");</script>';
    return $out;
}
///////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////// MAIN PAGE ////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////
$currentPath = $files->currentPath();
$out = ... // Fills the availability table ...

////////////////////Don't forget the form itself//////////////////////////////
if (in_array($headers['Host'], $permittedPW)){
    wire()->log->save('debug', 'Calling booking form sitePages = ' . $config->sitePages->get('/')->title . ', $headers["Host"] is ' . $headers["Host"]);
    $out .= $config->admin_site->files->render($currentPath . 'booking_form.php');
} else {
    $out .= wire()->files->render($config->paths->templates . 'RuntimeMarkup/booking_form.php');
}
//////////////////FINALLY RETURN THE OUTPUT!!!///////////////////////////
return $out;

This works fine for $permittedNonPW but not for $permittedPW.

Yep, there are these line(s):

//......
            $mail = wireMail();

This is very unspecific. You need to call explicitly a WireMail object from your desired instance! For example, if you are starting in your admin_instance, how do you fetch up your website_instance? 

You need to check if you really have an own instance of your $website_instance in your $admin_instance. If yes, pick up the $website_instance at that point above in the code and call the mail function of that instance: https://processwire.com/api/ref/wire-mail-tools/

As pseudo code:

//......
       $myMailHandler = $myWebsiteInstance->wire('mail');  // or something like that

Also, in your code above you are using and overwriting(!) the predefined $mail variable, what should be omitted. Instead use your own name for that special instance mailhandler.

Sorry - I forgot to say that I had tried various other things, including your suggestion. I've now done those things again (with $mailOwner rather than $mail - I'd forgotten that was predefined) and recorded the error in each case. These are reproduced below as a pair of lines - code followed by error:

$mailOwner = $config->admin_site->wire('mail');
Could not get the right WireMail-Module (WireMailSmtp); found: WireMailTools [My debugging line]
$mailOwner = $config->admin_site->mail->new();
 require_once(./WireMailSmtpAdaptor.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in M:\laragon\www\BawdHall\site\assets\cache\FileCompiler\site\modules\WireMailSmtp\WireMailSmtp.module on line 290

The second of these seems to be calling the right module (WireMailSmtp) but can't find the file because $config is always for instance_A. This seems similar to the issue we had with Runtime Markup.

Have you debugged $config->admin_site? What is it? Your PW instance object? What debug output does it show when you call $config->admin_site->wire('config')? Also I had understand that your WireMailSmtp is installed and configured in the website-instance, not the admin-instance? Can you clarify that, please?

Which instance is the current started (running)? I thought the admin_instance, is this right?

Where is the WireMailSmtp installed and configured? I thought in the website_instance, is this right?

3 hours ago, horst said:

Have you debugged $config->admin_site? What is it? Your PW instance object?

Yes. It is used extensively elsewhere in Availability.php and works fine.

3 hours ago, horst said:

What debug output does it show when you call $config->admin_site->wire('config')?

Config ($config->admin_site outputs ProcessWire 3.0.153 dev #1)

3 hours ago, horst said:

Which instance is the current started (running)? I thought the admin_instance, is this right?

No the host page is in site-web, which I think you are calling website_instance.

3 hours ago, horst said:

Where is the WireMailSmtp installed and configured? I thought in the website_instance, is this right?

No. It is in admin_instance, where the runtime markup field with Availability.php is.

I have a temporary work-round, although less than ideal. I capture the form details and save it as a page in admin_instance (that works fine, using $config->admin_site). Then a LazyCron in the admin site picks up new forms and sends the emails. (I tried to use a hook after Pages::added, but it seems that this is not triggered when the page is added from another instance.) When the LazyCron runs, it is of course running in the admin instance.

EDIT: Actually there are pros and cons of the work-round method, so I will stick with it for now. Thanks for the comments @horst.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read through all 14 pages, hoping to find some solution to my problem.

I learned that I can no use my regular Gmail password, instead an App Password was generated for my account and I have that in place in the settings ? Thanks to whomever suggested that!

I've gone through and entered all relevant fields pertaining to using Googles Gmail SMTP for my localhost testing. This is being done on my laptop running Linux (PopOS).

smtp hostname = smtp.gmail.com
smtp port = 587
smtp user/password = my gmail credentials and the generated app password
start tls checked, use ssl checked

I submit/save settings but I see no where where it says "SUCCESS! SMTP settings appear to work correctly" ?

I have the following in a template:

<?php
	$to = 'organizedfellow@gmail.com';
	$from = 'organizedfellow@gmail.com';
	$subject = 'email testes';
	$textBody = 'this is the body of the test email';

$numSent = wireMail($to, $from, $subject, $textBody);
?>

• 1 month later...

My debuglog is shortified (see last line). What can I do to get the complete log?

array (size=1)
  'DEBUGLOG' => string '

Resolving SMTP server domain "smtp.mailtrap.io"...<br />
Connecting to SMTP server "34.192.182.255" port 587...<br />
Connected to SMTP server "smtp.mailtrap.io".<br />
S 220 mailtrap.io ESMTP ready<br />
C EHLO pw-basic.local<br />
S 250-mailtrap.io<br />
S 250-SIZE 5242880<br />
S 250-PIPELINING<br />
S 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES<br />
S 250-8BITMIME<br />
S 250-DSN<br />
S 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5<br />
S 250 STARTTLS<br />
C MAIL FROM:<noreply@foo.bar><br />
C '... (length=625)

2 hours ago, rjgamer said:

My debuglog is shortified (see last line). What can I do to get the complete log?

To be honest: I don't know. I don't know why you have this, and I don't know how to change this. ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

I can't get wiremail to work ..
Can you show me a solution
Thanks so much

array(1) 
{
  ["SETTINGS"]                       array(28) 
  {
    ["default_charset"]              string(5) "UTF-8"
    ["localhost"]                    string(23) "domain.com"
    ["smtp_host"]                    string(17) "smtp.xxxxxxxx.com"
    ["smtp_port"]                    int(587)
    ["smtp_ssl"]                     string(0) ""
    ["smtp_ssl_crypto_method"]       string(0) ""
    ["smtp_start_tls"]               int(1)
    ["smtp_tls_crypto_method"]       string(31) "STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_ANY_CLIENT"
    ["smtp_user"]                    string(25) "admin@domain.com"
    ["smtp_password"]                string(12) "RBxxxxxxxgEPlj"
    ["smtp_password2"]               string(0) ""
    ["clear_smtp_password"]          string(0) ""
    ["allow_without_authentication"] string(0) ""
    ["realm"]                        string(0) ""
    ["workstation"]                  string(0) ""
    ["authentication_mechanism"]     string(0) ""
    ["smtp_debug"]                   int(0)
    ["smtp_html_debug"]              int(0)
    ["sender_name"]                  string(16) "Vincenzo xxxxxxx"
    ["sender_email"]                 string(25) "admin@domain.com"
    ["sender_reply"]                 string(0) ""
    ["sender_errors_to"]             string(0) ""
    ["sender_signature"]             string(0) ""
    ["sender_signature_html"]        string(0) ""
    ["send_sender_signature"]        string(1) "1"
    ["extra_headers"]                array(0) 
    {
    }
    ["valid_recipients"]             array(0) 
    {
    }
    ["smtp_certificate"]             string(0) ""
  }
}
array(1) 
{
  ["RESULT"]             array(5) 
  {
    ["subject"]          string(14) "Debug Testmail"
    ["addSignature"]     string(1) "0"
    ["textbody"]         string(39) "This is a test message"
    ["recipients"]       array(1) 
    {
      [0]                array(3) 
      {
        ["emailaddress"] string(24) "angelo.xxxxxxxx@email.com"
        ["name"]         string(0) ""
        ["type"]         string(2) "to"
      }
    }
    ["send"]             string(0) ""
  }
}
array(1) 
{
  ["ERRORS"] array(1) 
  {
    [0]      string(69) "could not connect to the host "smtp.xxxxxxx.com": Connection refused"
  }
}
array(1) 
{
  ["DEBUGLOG"] string(144) "

Resolving SMTP server domain "smtp.xxxxx.com"...
Connecting to SMTP server "smtp.xxxxxx.com" port 587...
"
}

Dear friends,
the failure of the module depends on the hosting (godaddy). Below is the question solved ..

Sending emails through other providers in Godaddy is not allowed, so you need to use the following settings:

Port: 25
SMTP authentication: False or None
SSL or secure connection: None
Server or Host: The relay server to use depends on the type of hosting and script you use. What type is my hosting account?

Linux (cPanel)
Use localhost, unless:

You use a PHP script and the mail () function.
You use a Perl script and the binary / usr / lib / sendmail.
In these cases, you will not need to specify any relay servers.

• SebastianP changed the title to Strange PHP error in WireMailSmtp: unexpected fully qualified name "\getmessage"