WireMailSmtp

horst

• 2 weeks later...

Added Support for Servers|Connections without Authentication,
currently in a dev-branch: https://github.com/horst-n/WireMailSmtp/tree/allow_without_authentication

Please, if someone uses SMTP without authentication, can you try it out with enabling the new option in modules config screen and check the "Test Connection" feature with it?

wiremail-allow-without-authentication.thumb.png.ab405683f342555239d753c1d2676961.png

wiremail-allow-without-authentication-test-settings.png.cd322da18b09380a9106a77a74b40c15.png

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, horst said:

I've created a new branch on github with the requested feature by @felix. Please can you and / or anybody else try this out and give some feedback. If everything is working as expected, I will push this to the master branch.

I've missed this completely! Thanks for creating this. A real timesaver not storing this in the DB. And thanks for bringing it to our attention @adrian!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I want to include file attachments to my mails. It is not so clear to me how to achieve this.

The docs say this:

attachment ($filename, $alternativeBasename = "") - add attachment file, optionally alternative basename

So I can get the filename as value from the input field. Thats basically the name of the file itself (like "mytextfile.txt").

So then I say for example:

$mail->attachment('myfile.txt');

But this does nothing. The file is never send as an attachment. Can somebody help me how this is supposed to work?

If I need not the filename but an absolute path to the file, where can I get it? It's not included in the form POST data, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Stefanowitsch said:

So then I say for example:

$mail->attachment('myfile.txt');

But this does nothing. The file is never send as an attachment. Can somebody help me how this is supposed to work?

If I need not the filename but an absolute path to the file, where can I get it? It's not included in the form POST data, isn't it?

wireMail()->attachment() needs an absolute path for every (disk) file it should attach to a message. 

UPD: oh, i've missed last sentense, U know about absolute path already. You must save image from POST and then Send it, using absolute path.

UPD2: VEEERYYY bad example. You need to check uploaded file for type, size etc first. But it should work ?

<?php
if($input->post('submit')) {
    $uploaddir = "/upload/";
    $uploadfile = $uploaddir . basename($_FILES['userfile']['name']);

if (move_uploaded_file($_FILES['userfile']['tmp_name'], $uploadfile)) {
      $mail = wireMail();
      $mail->to("some@one.com");
      $mail->from = "me@me.io";
      $mail->subject("FILE");
      $mail->body("TAKE THIS!");
      $mail->attachment($uploadfile);
      $numSent = $mail->send();
	} else {
      echo "wtf?!";
	}

}
?>

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="/" method="POST">
    <input name="userfile" type="file" />
    <input name="submit" type="submit" value="Send" />
</form>

Edited by k07n
upd upd2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and girls! And thanks for Processwire!

Just to give some help with Google account settings for WireMailSMTP. They are pretty well known... but Google appears to reject SMTP authentication from "non-trusted apps". There's however a solution which doesn't make Processwire "more secure" (from Google point of view) but unlocks the possibility of sending mails by WireMailSMTP using a Google account.

1.  You need to enable 2-factor authentication for Gmail account which You want to use with WireMailSMTP.
  2. You need to generate an "app password" different from Gmail account password.
  3. This "app password" should be used as SMTP password while setting WireMailSMTP up.
  4. Bingo! No more blocking.

P.S. In my case, that Google blocking was occuring even if i tried to send a single letter per day. I'm not sending spam, just notifications for website owner/manager.

• Like 3

Hi there!

Got a strange WireMailSMTP behaviour. I'm sending emails via Gmail which works fine except one problem. Gmail browser client shows that emails like this:

xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

16:56 (23 минуты назад)

кому: я
X-Mailer: ProcessWire/WireMailSmtp
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 13:56:49 GMT
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="99e7bb5336c619adedcc743d03b1ec46"
Message-ID: <20190924165649.0537.xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com>

--99e7bb5336c619adedcc743d03b1ec46
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=D0=9F=D0=BE=D1=81=D1=82=D1=83=D0=BF=D0=B8=D0=BB =D0=BD=D0=BE=D0=B2=D1=
=8B=D0=B9 =D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=BA=D0=B0=D0=B7 .
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

=8B=D0=B9 =D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=BA=D0=B0=D0=B7.

It's obviously the quoted-printable decoding problem. Google also allows to download any message as .eml file, and here's a sample of what is inside such a file:

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 13:56:49 GMT
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="99e7bb5336c619adedcc743d03b1ec46"
Message-ID: <20190924165649.0537.xxxxxxxx@gmail.com>

=8B=D0=B9 =D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=BA=D0=B0=D0=B7 .

=8B=D0=B9 =D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=BA=D0=B0=D0=B7.

Both samples are parts of the same letter with some editing applied (real address changed, some inline css skipped etc.).

Is there a way to make Gmail decode such letters in a correct way? Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

@dragan Thank you for your answer ! I'm waiting the return of SendInBlue. I asked if on their side everything works with these parameters. I will keep you informed.

@Adrian I would like it a lot! For the moment I am not yet advanced enough in Processwire to make this. But I will come ... and so I could contribute to the modules too ? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris B said:

Can I get more information on what does not work?

You can add some debug code into a template file and call a page with it:

$to = array('me@example.com');
    $subject = 'Wiremail-SMTP Test ' . date('H:i:s') . ' äöü ÄÖÜ ß';

$mail = wireMail();
    if($mail->className != 'WireMailSmtp') {
        echo "<p>Couldn't get the right WireMail-Module (WireMailSmtp). found: {$mail->className}</p>";

} else {

$mail->from = '--INSERT YOUR SENDER ADDRESS HERE --'; // <--- !!!!

$mail->to($to);
        $mail->subject($subject);
        $mail->sendSingle(true);

$mail->body("Titel\n\ntext text TEXT text text\n");
        $mail->bodyHTML("<h1>Titel</h1><p>text text <strong>TEXT</strong> text text</p>");

$dump = $mail->debugSend(1);
    }

So, in short, instead of using $mail->send(), use $mail->debugSend(1) to get output on a frontend testpage.

The output is PRE formatted and contains the areas: SETTINGS, RESULT, ERRORS and a complete debuglog of the server connection, like this one:

Spoiler

Resolving SMTP server domain "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"...

Connecting to SMTP server "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" port 587...

Connected to SMTP server "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX".

S 220 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ESMTP

C EHLO wiremailsmtp.kawobi.local

S 250-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

S 250-PIPELINING

S 250-SIZE 102400000

S 250-VRFY

S 250-ETRN

S 250-STARTTLS

S 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN

S 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN

S 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

S 250-8BITMIME

S 250 DSN

C STARTTLS

S 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS

Starting TLS cryptographic protocol

TLS started: STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_2_CLIENT

C EHLO wiremailsmtp.kawobi.local

S 250-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

S 250-PIPELINING

S 250-SIZE 102400000

S 250-VRFY

S 250-ETRN

S 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN

S 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN

S 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

S 250-8BITMIME

S 250 DSN

C AUTH PLAIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

S 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful

C MAIL FROM:<XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

C RCPT TO:<XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

C DATA

S 250 2.1.0 Ok

S 250 2.1.5 Ok

S 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>

C To:  <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

Subject: Wiremail-SMTP Test 08:41:31 =?UTF-8?q?=C3=A4=C3=B6=C3=BC_=C3=84=C3=96=C3=9C_=C3=9F?=

Return-Path: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply-To:  <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 07:41:32 GMT

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="dbbe5bbf21a410f0b110683a0afec17a"

Message-ID: <20191028084132.3800.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

C --dbbe5bbf21a410f0b110683a0afec17a

Titel=0A=0Atext text TEXT text text=0A

--dbbe5bbf21a410f0b110683a0afec17a

<h1>Titel</h1><p>text text <strong>TEXT</strong> text text</p>

--dbbe5bbf21a410f0b110683a0afec17a--

C 

S 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as XXXXXXXXXXXX

C QUIT

S 221 2.0.0 Bye

Disconnected.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Why does not the module propose this directly in the "test" part?

Because the current test part only does the connection part, (ping the server and login), within the modules settings screen. It was written for PW 2.4 (and is backward compatible until now). I think this would be a good addition, maybe besides the current connection test.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.

I've build a site with a couple of form/email functions using WireMailSmtp.

Everything worked fine in my localhost server during dev, but now when the site is online no emails are being send, and i'm getting no errors (not with TraceyDebug or the debugsend(1) method, nor the connection test in the config module).. just no email are being send. 

only thing i can maybe suspect is the problem, is that the live site is secure using https and webserver refuses login with SSL (!?? i honestly don't know if that makes sense, i'm a bit of noob when it comes to SMTP ), but disabling https doesn't fix it. And then also, i don't get exactly what the "Local Hostname" in the configuration should be!?

If anyone has any idea of what might be the problem I would be super grateful. I've scoured this thread for any relevant solutions, but so far still no emails ?

55 minutes ago, Jonathan Sachse Mikkelsen said:

If anyone has any idea of what might be the problem I would be super grateful. I've scoured this thread for any relevant solutions, but so far still no emails ?

Are you using an SMTP service to send emails through? IE PostmarkApp, MailGun, SendinGrid etc

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sachse Mikkelsen said:

i'm getting no errors (not with TraceyDebug or the debugsend(1) method, nor the connection test in the config module).

What is the debuglog saying which server is connected, what is the servers response, what is the transfer protocol etc etc. 

the debug log from the debugsend() method should tell what happened. 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:24 PM, horst said:

What is the debuglog saying which server is connected, what is the servers response, what is the transfer protocol etc etc. 

the debug log from the debugsend() method should tell what happened. 

Hi Horst i attached the debug log. to me it looks like it successfully connected to the smtp server drafted the email and send it... but i guess i'm missing something, so if you feel like having a look i would be very happy ? 

wiremailDebug.txt

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Sachse Mikkelsen said:

I'm using the clients webmail server from their webhost service. 

Unfortunately this is probably a path to disaster these days - spam has made email painful and I think the only reliable option these days is to go with a transactional email service like MailGun, Postmark, SendInBlue etc. And be sure to spend the time to learn about and properly implement DKIM, SPF, and a DMARC policy.

• Like 1

• SebastianP changed the title to Strange PHP error in WireMailSmtp: unexpected fully qualified name "\getmessage"