Module: WireMailSwiftMailer

teppo

Joss, in case of Mail and Sendmail transports that "0" comes directly from your system / PHP and simply means that the message couldn't be sent to any recipients at all. I'm assuming that the same thing could happen with SMTP. The message could be a bit more descriptive, but technically it's not an error, so.. :)

Mail / Sendmail failing usually means that your server isn't configured to send mail (intentionally).. or it's misconfigured and mail doesn't work. For SMTP tests, did you set proper SMTP server info etc.? How 'bout the "check connection now" option (using SMTP), did that work?

Note: in any case, this sounds like a problem with your server. It doesn't seem to be capable of sending email directly, so your best options are to a) change that (reconfigure the server, contact administration etc.) or b) use external SMTP server (some hosts even provide these to their clients).

• 10 months later...

Sorry if I missed it, but I haven't found any info on the password field not present in settings.

It says the password is stored in the database but there is no field in which to enter the password. Consequently, the test fails.

What have I not configured correctly?

[edit]

This was present in 2.6.10, and now 2.6.12 dev.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Teppo, I have the same problem as Joss. I use version 2.7.2 of ProcessWire. When I don't use the modul pw sends mails. If I use swiftmailer from the api it works. But when I try to send a testmail it says 0 receipients and it sends nothing. Any hints?

Edit:
I tried just Wire Mail SMTP. With that modul everything seems to work as expected. I'm using uberspace.de as hosting provider.

On 7/20/2016 at 11:35 AM, hheyne said:

Hi Teppo, I have the same problem as Joss. I use version 2.7.2 of ProcessWire. When I don't use the modul pw sends mails. If I use swiftmailer from the api it works. But when I try to send a testmail it says 0 receipients and it sends nothing. Any hints?

Edit:
I tried just Wire Mail SMTP. With that modul everything seems to work as expected. I'm using uberspace.de as hosting provider.

In my experience Wire Mail SMTP works better too. And here is an observation in general:

If you are sending emails via PHP, I would highly recommend using SMTP methods where possible as every single email provider is cracking down on spammers to the point where messages that are not sent using a real MTA (real SMTP server) are having much harder time to comply. There are hundreds of parameters that are tested against and if you email does not conform to the ever growing technical specification (not just the message and envelope itself but also the path with all IPs involved) it simply goes into junk or lately even worse - gets rejected or sent to dev>null

What would be wise here from the email module developers side would be to actually build some sort of a queue mechanism where connection timeouts/rejections are caught and the admin can be either notified via a 3rd party messaging or at least logged/saved for a redelivery option later on. For example if issue gets resolved with some IP blacklist situation or whatnot.

Cloud based delivery solutions (eg Mandrill etc.) are starting to look more appealing..

my 2c

• Like 1

• 4 years later...