Video Tutorials

Damienov

Hi eveyone,

Is there anywhere where I can find some video tutorials/training for Processwire?

Also, is there a way to make a blog like site with processwire? I've tried the tutorial from the wiki and tried the blog profile installation, but I cant seem to grasp the process yet, thus the question of a video tutorial :)

Welcome to PW Damienov

There's a several videos on YouTube

There's videos here:http://processwire.com/videos/ - some are a bit old.. :-)

And here is the blog profile: http://mods.pw/2M

I've tried the Blog profile, it works just fine. But its not whether it works or not for me, I want to KNOW how the process works, and the blog profile seems like an overly complicated process. I cant seem to find a documentation on specific module/profile. One of the good things from Modx (the one I used before) is that there is a specific documentation on each modules not just the core.

For example: How to achieve the create button (with an option to create categories, blog post, or tag)?

Well MODX has been around longer than PW and it has a bigger crowd...I used MODX before..In fact, I wrote a documentation for WayFinder... :P

Seriously though, yes, there is need for better documentation about some things in PW but we are working on it....and it is a community effort. At the moment, PW has specifically focused documentation that will help you understand the system quickly. That's the API docs and the cheat sheet..

Documentation about modules is still limited. Have a look at the wiki though for a start....and the HelloWorld module...Some modules like ModulesManager, Batcher, etc have their documentation within the read me. Also, "Markup Simple Navigation" has excellent documentation. What module were in interested in specifically?

I am not getting you about how to "achieve the create button"? PW has methods that will help you easily create markup; mostly used by people making modules, but can also be used for your frontend needs. But, I would focus on understanding PW first. If you get that, then understanding how to create modules will be a smoother road.

How comfortable are you with PHP? You will also need that to get to know how things work, especially behind the scenes.

Back to the blog profile, if you read it's support forum, you will see it is also a "demonstration" about one of the many approaches things can be achieved in PW. There is also an explanation within the Blog Profile pages itself how it works! Did you read that? Besides that, it is dead easy to make a blog in PW without using the Blog Profile. You just need to understand the basics of PW - page, templates, template files and fields - and of course some PHP, HTML and CSS... :-)

There is no one method to coding in PW. That makes PW very versatile and powerful, but also a source of frustration for some who are used to being directed on how to do things (e.g. WordPress crowd)...I hope that came out right; I don't mean to offend... :-)

• Like 2

So pretty much many Modx users is migrating to processwire then?

Would be great to have docs on the modules and I would be willing to help writing...if I can understand it first :P . Pretty much the chicken or egg thing.

There is no one method to coding in PW. That makes PW very versatile and
powerful, but also a source of frustration for some who are used to
being directed on how to do things (e.g. WordPress crowd)...I hope that
came out right; I don't mean to offend... :-)

No offense taken ;)

In fact sorry for sounding demanding, but I just really want to full understand Processwire and it's modules/extensions.

One of the reason I'm tinkering with processwire is to get away from the assumed sctructure of other cms Joomla/Wordpress/Drupal etc. But as you say, it's both a blessing and frustration.

I don't have figures about migration in (and out of) PW but there's several ex-MODXers in these forums :-)

In my case, I learnt (or am learning!) to code modules by looking at other modules, starting with the simpler ones. Trying and breaking things! Not ideal I know, but atm, that's what we have :-)....you never know, some modules documentation may soon appear...magically   ;)

@Damienov: by documentation of specific modules, are you referring to core modules (those shipped with PW itself) or 3rd party modules (most of the stuff in modules directory)? What kind of things would you expect to find from such a documentation?

Asking because I'd be more than happy to provide better docs for my own modules, but I've no idea where to start, what would be generally useful etc. I'm a "screw your docs, just give me the code" kind of guy myself :)

• Like 2

Damienov,

Just a word of encouragement --

Anyone who hand-codes HTML and CSS and can set up a website on a server should pick up PW pretty quickly, especially since there are many code examples in the API docs you can copy. I never wrote a line of PHP before coming to PW. While my code is quite basic and certainly not elegant, with a few conditionals and foreach loops I can build pretty much anything I want. I'm coming from Textpattern, WordPress and Drupal and, while I love Textpattern, I am continually delighted to use PW. You can tell it was designed by a man who understands workflow, best practices and security and it's just a joy to use (you see that word over and over in these forums). Plus, the support is second to none.

Enjoy ProcessWire!

Cliff

• Like 5

@Damienov: by documentation of specific modules, are you referring to core modules (those shipped with PW itself) or 3rd party modules (most of the stuff in modules directory)? What kind of things would you expect to find from such a documentation?

Asking because I'd be more than happy to provide better docs for my own modules, but I've no idea where to start, what would be generally useful etc. I'm a "screw your docs, just give me the code" kind of guy myself :)

Would love to have both the Core (shipped with PW) and 3rd party modules

Would love to have this on the 3rd party docs:

• Available API's list and description on what they are and what they do (with parameter, if any), a sample snippet would be awesome
  • Small how-to's for the less technical (screenshots!, everyone love screenshot :P )
  • Advance Sample, see how the module can roar
  • The 2nd and 3rd could be condensed with a Tutorial with a test case example

Damienov,

Just a word of encouragement --

Anyone who hand-codes HTML and CSS and can set up a website on a server should pick up PW pretty quickly, especially since there are many code examples in the API docs you can copy. I never wrote a line of PHP before coming to PW. While my code is quite basic and certainly not elegant, with a few conditionals and foreach loops I can build pretty much anything I want. I'm coming from Textpattern, WordPress and Drupal and, while I love Textpattern, I am continually delighted to use PW. You can tell it was designed by a man who understands workflow, best practices and security and it's just a joy to use (you see that word over and over in these forums). Plus, the support is second to none.

Enjoy ProcessWire!

Cliff

Yeah, that is why I'm here ;)

Since my php is crappy, I love how PW works. I've experience Joomla, heck I even sold commercial templates on Joomla early days (when they forked out from mambo), Wordpress, Drupal (Awesome system, shite templating) - made a full fleged CRM with it for a client, godawful theme though >:D

Often the "documentation" for third party modules is in the first post of the associated forum thread. Sometimes this is very similar to what's in the Readme file or in the text in the modules directory, but often it is much more detailed. That would be my suggestion for you at the moment, but I would agree that all module authors should do a better job of ensuring the text in the modules directory entry is more complete. Actually thinking about this, I think one of the problems is that the modules directory doesn't support images at the moment so we can't add screenshots here whidh is why I tend to think of the forum thread as the main spot for documentation.

Ryan - any chance we could add support for images in the modules directory?

...actually thinking about this, I think one of the problems is that the modules directory doesn't support images at the moment so we can't add screenshots here whidh is why I tend to think of the forum thread as the main spot for documentation.

Ryan - any chance we could add support for images in the modules directory?

@Adrian, you mean as in plural (images?)...if you mean images in general...hmmm..., am confused as some do have single images and other multiple... :-)...

Well in the first example you pointed to, horst is hosting the image on his own website and the second example is from Ryan. He is hosting it in the assets folder of the modules directory, but I don't think the rest of us have that option - at least I don't see it when I try to edit one of my modules - maybe I am missing something?

I think offsite in general is a bad idea - eventually something will break. I did think of the Github option, but seemed wasteful to put images in with the module files and hackish to put them in a separate "pw-screenshots" repo. Hopefully Ryan will chime in with a better solution!