Module: AIOM+ (All In One Minify) for CSS, LESS, JS and HTML

David Karich

5 minutes ago, neophron said:

Does it make sense to count on this module for the future? Cause to me it looks like, as if there is no longer support for this module. 
Are there alternative solutions? 

would also love to get some words by @David Karich

ProCache does also support HTML minification and ProCache is really an awesome module and worth every cent!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

As you can read in the previous posts there are some issues with the module right now. 
There haven't been any updates so far in the official repository. So you might have to dig through errors and fix them. 
Right now I wouldn't recommend this module in any project unless you want to take care of all possible issues.

What's the main feature you are looking for?
There are several other modules out there so maybe we can find a solution for your needs.

• Like 2

I'm using it in a production (PW 3.0.104) for years, I thinks in it's basic (original) version, no problem so far. I'm not merging multiple js/css with AIOM, I do it by hand. Give it a try, you may even want to try my forked version, and if it doesn't work for you, the solution is ProCache. If the client have no money, then it's ok, PW will work out of the box too. And, nowadays internet connections are fast enough so that minimizing for every cost is not so important (that's my opinion). 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 7:24 PM, Jules Vau said:

I would like to minimize multiple JS files into one file.

On a loosely related note: in case you already serve your content via HTTP/2, combining files is often less important. In some cases it may even be the opposite: technically the optimal use case would involve combining JS files into separate, smaller bundles that contain related features. "One big blob of JS" is very close to an antipattern these days.

Just my five cents. Overall what I'm trying to say here is that if you're using HTTP/2 (which you should – and if not, that's something to focus first anyway) I wouldn't worry too much about bundling files, unless you've got loads of them ?

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I updated my forked version of AIOM+ to 4.0.0 https://github.com/matjazpotocnik/ProcessWire-AIOM-All-In-One-Minify

It adds "AIOM+ template caching" :-) My tests shows noticeable improvements in render times, dropping from like 300 ms (on localhost) to 10 ms. I guess ProCache would be even faster (don't have it, can't test). If anyone wanna try this early alpha version, please read README.md (must read).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, matjazp said:

It adds "AIOM+ template caching"

Hi @matjazp,

I'm not currently a user of this module, but I'm interested in this feature and your comments in the readme:

In ProcessWire, a template can be configured to cache its output on the front-end so that it only executes its PHP template-file at certain intervals (cache time), and delivers cached content the rest of the time. Templates caching can help with page render time on resource-heavy pages by serving pages from disk cache rather than creating pages on every request. But caching is not that efficient on simple, resource-light pages. AIOM+ use cached pages but delivers them more efficiently.

What was the inefficiency you noticed in the core template cache feature and how did you make the AIOM+ cache more efficient? Is there an improvement that could me made to the core template cache that would be worth communicating to @ryan?

• Like 1

The inefficiency I noticed was that the render time (I just use Chrome console with disabled caching, monitoring the Time column) with enabled or disabled template cache was almost the same. I used just a simple template file with the echo "foo"; in it. Then I read about ProCache and learned that it delivers cached pages directly from the disk without even touching the php. I tried this approach on Windows with IIS but the URL rewrite module complained about some caching issues, so I ditched this approach (this is likely IIS issue). Then I tried with php echoing the file from the disk and it worked. I looked at the source code of some core files and discovered that cached pages are actually already there on the disk, but it takes time before PW reaches them: it has to go through the boot process, load/include all the modules/files, etc. and that process takes time.  So the module creates its own AIOM+ cache files based on page URLs/names with information about the actual page cache file and its expiration. I check this AIOM+ cache file, load the content and echo it. That process takes between 5 and 10 ms on my computer, while "full" load time is between 300 and 350 ms, and with cache like 300-320 ms. I'm not sure this is a good way to go. My biggest concern is if this is safe? I assume ProCache does it similarly? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, matjazp said:

So the module creates its own AIOM+ cache files based on page URLs/names with information about the actual page cache file and its expiration. I check this AIOM+ cache file, load the content and echo it. That process takes between 5 and 10 ms on my computer, while "full" load time is between 300 and 350 ms, and with cache like 300-320 ms.

That sounds like a very good enhancement! It would be great to have a solution like this implemented in the core template cache, so it doesn't require any changes to a core file and is available to those not using AIOM+.

An important factor is if enough information is known so early in the load process to deliver all the standard template cache features for things like multi-language, URL segments, logged-in users option and cache-disabling GET/POST vars. But a lot of that is knowable from the URL alone so I think your approach should work.

If you have time, maybe you could experiment with this separate from AIOM+ and PM Ryan to see if he'd consider adding it to the core? If it works it would add another "selling point" to PW.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robin S said:

An important factor is if enough information is known so early in the load process to deliver all the standard template cache features for things like multi-language, URL segments, logged-in users option and cache-disabling GET/POST vars. But a lot of that is knowable from the URL alone so I think your approach should work.

Yeah, that's the point here. I don't have enough knowledge about the boot process and all this (I'm just a hobby user). What I would be interested in if someone with ProCache would explain how it works and how ProCache knows all that details if PW (or even) php isn't touched at all? I assume it takes all of this into an account and creates a cache file only if those conditions are met? I simply ignore all POST requests, all GET requests (other than paginations - I didn't test with segments, hmm...), ignoring logged users. I wanted to be sure that I don't echo something I shouldn't so this was the easiest and possibly the safest way to go...

23 minutes ago, Robin S said:

That sounds like a very good enhancement! It would be great to have a solution like this implemented in the core template cache, so it doesn't require any changes to a core file and is available to those not using AIOM+.

I mentioned that to Ryan in PM (he contacted me in regards to recent hacking attempts), but he ignored my idea. Or perhaps he didn't read to the end of my message? Or he likes my approach but has no time to implement it (I just asked for a way to include some script before PW starts)? Or maybe he is working on it??? I wouldn't count on him, he has more important things to do, I guess, like fixing issues that bothers a lot of users for quite some time or even accepting some of the 278 feature requests :-) 

33 minutes ago, Robin S said:

If you have time, maybe you could experiment with this separate from AIOM+ and PM Ryan to see if he'd consider adding it to the core? If it works it would add another "selling point" to PW.

I guess I won't have time for programming for at least for a week or two (you know, covid-19), will see. I started this as addon to AIOM, then separated it, then merged it again with AIOM+ as template caching might interfere with the HTML minimizing option in AIOM+ and decided it would be best if I have control in one module.

3 minutes ago, matjazp said:

What I would be interested in if someone with ProCache would explain how it works and how ProCache knows all that details if PW (or even) php isn't touched at all?

ProCache serves up a cached static HTML file using mod_rewrite rules in .htaccess

It checks if...

• the request method is not POST
  • there is no query string
  • there is no wire_challenge or wires_challenge cookie
  • a cached HTML file exists for the requested URL

...and if all of this is true it serves the HTML file.

I recently opened a support topic asking for help using ProCache in conjunction with template cache (my site has a lot of logged-in users that I'd like to serve cached pages to). When Ryan replies over the weekend I'll mention the discussion here and ask if he'd consider improving the template cache using the principle you're experimenting with.

23 minutes ago, Robin S said:

ProCache serves up a cached static HTML file using mod_rewrite rules in .htaccess

It checks if...

• the request method is not POST
  • there is no query string
  • there is no wire_challenge or wires_challenge cookie
  • a cached HTML file exists for the requested URL

...and if all of this is true it serves the HTML file.

This is exactly what I'm doing, but in PHP, check cache() method in AIOMcache.php. I know .htaccess rules, Ryan sent them to me 4 years ago when I was tempted to buy ProCache, but since I'm on IIS he couldn't confirm if it would work. But this is all I know about ProCache, I learned everything else from the documentation pages and I don't know if there is anything else to consider. I use zend opcache on my sites and this helps a lot, they are fast enough so I might not need ProCache or AIOM+ cache, but it's something that I always wanted to try and never had time or will to do it. Now I did it and released it in public, perhaps someone finds it useful or maybe something similar can be part of the core and we all win.

35 minutes ago, Robin S said:

I recently opened a support topic asking for help using ProCache in conjunction with template cache (my site has a lot of logged-in users that I'd like to serve cached pages to). When Ryan replies over the weekend I'll mention the discussion here and ask if he'd consider improving the template cache using the principle you're experimenting with.

Hm, then ProCache wouldn't be needed? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Never saw this error before. It comes from modules.php in ___saveConfig() method. I guess it has something to do with namespace as error states "\AllInOneMinify" as module name, but here on my local dev the module name is without "\". Please try attached version (it contains just .module file, simply replace it).

AllInOneMinify.zip

Nope, I got the same error. I'm trying to debug it right now.

EDIT: I was able to figure it out. Apparently the saveConfig function is called from the following line in _sanitize_data, but the module is not present in the moduleIDs array inside Modules.php.

if(json_encode($data) != json_encode($_data)) wire('modules')->saveConfig(self::clsname, $data);

I temporarily removed this line from the module, then I installed it before putting it back.

Now everything works correctly ?

• 4 months later...

Hello, I'm having a strange issue, the module works fine in production mode, but when I enable the $config->debug = true; the module cannot compile my files and output this error

<b>Warning</b>:  A non-numeric value encountered in <b>/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/AllInOneMinify/AllInOneMinify.module</b> on line <b>713</b><br />/site/assets/aiom/css_b636f2192ceb48c592835de3c2d9c3b9_dev.css?no-cache=1601104220">

Any idea how to solve this? Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...