Torsten Baldes

Use textformatter in template

hi there,

is it possible to use a textformatter on a string/field in the template without applying it to an inputfield in the field settings?

i searched the forum but didn't found any solution …

thanks!

You just get the textformatter module and use the formatValue(). It accepts Page, Field, String but you can also pass an empty page and field as most textformatters also don't use it except HannaCode I think.

$str = $page->textfield;
$modules->TextformatterModuleName->formatValue(new Page(), new Field(), $str);
echo $str;

This is deprecated, but should work for most textformatters still

$str = $page->textfield;
$modules->TextformatterModuleName->format($str);
echo $str;

• Like 6

Hi, searched for that topic because I try to load the textformatter modules like above- But I need to get the textformatters from the page field first.

Tried this, but doesn't work.

foreach ($field->textformatters as $textformatters) ...
A dump of $field->textformatters is empty.

How could I get the textformatters?

*Update*

I try to format a $field->value like this.

$f = $modules->get('TextformatterTextile');

$text = $field->value;
$new = $f->formatValue(new Page(), new Field(), $text);

// $new is empty!
echo $new;  

$field->value = $new;

The txtfirmatter doesn't return but modify the variable instance. No need to $new = ...

See ,xamples in this thread marked as solved.

• Like 1

Hi, searched for that topic because I try to load the textformatter modules like above- But I need to get the textformatters from the page field first.

Tried this, but doesn't work.

foreach ($field->textformatters as $textformatters) ...
A dump of $field->textformatters is empty.

How could I get the textformatters?

Via the field

print_r($fields->body->textformatters);
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Brian Peat
      Hello! I've got a single client on Processwire and it's completely foreign to me. I've been able to find most things, but they've asked for a custom designed page with a full width header image/section, and then a body block and a right side bar below the header. They're using a landing page template, so I duplicated that, figured out how to add it in the admin, and assigned it to the page. Nothing. It doesn't change a thing.
      I feel like I'm missing something obvious. I've made sure all the fields are the same, I tried to set up the parent/child stuff though this page doesn't have a parent that I can tell (though it's under Landing Pages). If I can get the template to actually kick in, I think I can use a bit of code to check for the hero section and load it at the top. I also made a copy of the widget template and set that to load instead of the original. But again, since my main page template isn't kicking in, neither is the new widget template.
      I'd just love some tips on what to check or change to get a landing page to actually render what's in the assigned page template.
      Hopefully I've used the correct terminology here to make sense.
      Thanks!
    • By rookie
      hi there,
      Is there a module or other solution to select a template with a preview image? Sometimes it is not that easy to describe a template.
      e.g. Template with 3 columns (image, title, content, button) or template for a slider with max. 4 pictures.
      Even if it is nice to have a description field for a template, a picture says more than thousand words could describe.
      And no, I don't think I could develop something like that. I don't even know where to start.🙄
    • By muzzer
      I have just upgraded a site from 2.7 to latest v3.
      I have run into a weird issue where a page template setting for slashUrls changes from No to Yes immediately after an ajax call, causing the second ajax call on the page to use the wrong setting.
      There is no reference to the $template->slashUrls() in any of my code.
      This happens every time I load the page, it's 100% consistent.
      I have this running on a second machine under v2.7 and no such weirdness.
      I'm lost as to why this is happening, what would cause a PW setting change for slashUrls? Anyone have any ideas?

• By MoritzLost
      This is a textformatter module that will automatically replace titles of other pages on your site with links to those pages. For example, if you have a template glossary-term, and mention the exact title of one page using that template in a textfield, the title will be automatically linked to that page (if the textfield uses that formatter). This is good for SEO, and saves you some manual labour. You can configure which templates should get automatically linked, and of course the formatter is only active for the fields you add this formatter to. Note that if you need more manual control over when and where titles are automatically linked, you're probably better of using Autolink from a Glossary by @mr-fan.
      Features
      Allows you to limit the automatic links by template. Only includes published & visible pages by default, with an option to include hidden pages. Automatically excludes the current page, with an option to change that behaviour. Allows you to configure the minimum title length for linked pages. Doesn't overwrite existing links, and detects most edge cases (titles inside other tag's attributes, titles inside existing links et c.). Supports multi-language sites. Titles will only be linked if a title in the current language is set. Can add configurable attributes to all automatically created links. This includes the ability to use page fields as replacement patterns for attributes. For example, you can create CSS classes that include the name of the template of the linked page. Extensive options and hooks to change the generated markup completely. Need <mark> elements with a title attribute based on a page field instead of a link? No problem. See the example project below. Prefer oldest or newest page in the case of duplicate titles. Queries the database directly for improved performance. Has options to switch between case sensitive and case insensitive modes, and force case sensitive behaviour even for case insensitive database collations. Allows you to overwrite the module configuration via the API to call the module with different settings for different requirements on the same site. Download & Documentation
      The module is now available in the modules directory: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/textformatter-page-title-links/
      You can download & install it through the backend using the classname TextformatterPageTitleLinks.
      To install it manually, download or clone the module from the Github repository into your site/modules folder and install through the backend.
      The complete documentation can be found in the README in the repository. Make sure to check out the module configuration page after installing the module.
      Requirements
      PHP 7.1 or higher ProcessWire 3+ (it will probably work in older versions, I haven't tested those though). This is my first module, I hope it may become useful to some of you 🙂
      If you find any errors or have some other suggestions or feedback, let me know!
    • By Pip
      Hi everyone, 
      Is there a way for us to replicate the "http://mydomain.com/processwire/page/edit/?id=xxx" and change the template to match my site template? 
      I'm terribly happy with the admin / backend page edit. It covers literaly everything I want to empower my non super admin user in updating pages such as validation, repeater management, file upload. 
      I wish not to allow the users to see the backend for both security and aesthetic reasons. 
      Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.