changing Template without loosing fields?

gunter

I simply want rename a template file, so I have to change to another template, but then I am loosing the fields (lost some already...)

What can I do? Is there an easy way??

I installed the Skeleton Framework and used a template named 'skeleton.php'.

Now I changed to to Bootstrap... so skeleton.php makes not sense anymore...

but anyway... I want to change its name to main...

Hi gunter and welcome to PW. I am not sure why you are losing fields - perhaps you can elaborate, but regarding template name changes - if you go the advanced tab of the template settings you can rename the template. You can also choose to use an alternate template filename if that is at helpful in your scenario.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Welcome to ProcessWire gunter...

Just to add on to what Adrian has said..., technically, there is no relationship between a template file and fields. There is a relationship between templates and fields. That's why you need to clarify your situation. If you want to change the template of a page (call it template 1), and the new template (template 2) you are changing to does not have the same fields that are in template 1, then PW will give you a warning: "Warning, changing the template will delete the following fields:". It will list the fields that will be deleted. If you click the checkbox "Are you sure? Please confirm that you understand the above by clicking the checkbox below." they will then be deleted...Other than that, template files are used by the user (technically instructed by the user) to grab what's in your fields and display the output to the browser

:-)

• Like 4