Getting hit with heavy traffic

ryan

Hey guys, it looks like we're getting nailed with traffic today. Looks like I need to upgrade the server. I'm going to try and setup a mirror at processwire.org and see what the hosting company can do about upgrading the VPS. But wanted to provide advance warning that the server may go down today as the load just keeps rising (up above 50 right now). Looks like today will be our highest traffic day ever. Just hoping I can keep the server going.

• Like 1

Ah that makes sense, I guess that's called getting smashed. :)

Despite that, the server is now on the mend (5min load down around 7 now). We just got hit with more traffic than the VPS could make processes for over 45 minutes or so. So I'm a little sad to know we probably turned some people away by being inaccessible. I'm setting up a mirror of the PW demo on processwire.org, though it's just a budget hosting account so not sure how much that'll help. I also need to get some more of the templates cached on processwire.com. I talked with the hosting company about upgrades, but they can't get in the upgrade fast enough to help today. So we'll just ride this one out and hopefully I'll be better prepared or the next time a spike like that occurs.

Congratulations, Ryan. It's just first glimpses of future fame, I guess. I could make a review on a Russian website similar to Smashing Magazine. But your site has to be ready for an effect it can make.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's great. I'm actually not disappointed how well the server held up, given that it's a 'entry-level' vps with relatively low memory and resources. It was still serving pages at a load of 50+, though taking about 10-15 seconds to do so. :) As far as I know, the server never started refusing requests. Though I'm sure its slowness sent a lot of people away or left them with a bad impression.  :-\ For starters, I'm going to install a PHP opcode cache (APC), as that should help.

Thanks for finding that! Glad to finally know where all the facebook traffic was coming from. Their referrers aren't trackable, and searching facebook for 'processwire' turned up nothing, so it was a mystery before.

from twitter:

<snip>

What is he saying exactly, cause google trans doesn't really make sense to me. :)

Made sense to me, but I'm not repeating it here as it's a fairly harsh comment to MODx.

Regarding the tweet, I appreciate the enthusiasm for PW, but I have nothing but respect for MODx and think that as a project they are a good role model and excellent software. But everyone is looking for something different in a CMS, and if there were one 'best' platform, then there wouldn't be so many CMSs out there.

I'm also have a lot of respect towards MODx and its community. And I don't like comment like this guy made. It's just not right when people start critisizing the whole idea of something and being rude.

Soma, could you delete the post with the quote, please? Let's keep the forum positive :)

I think the forum is positive like this, having good comments about a bad comment. If Soma deletes the comment, then all the other comments don't make any sense and also have to be deleted... It will mess all the thread. I don't see any harm on keeping it like it is.

I think the forum is positive like this, having good comments about a bad comment. If Soma deletes the comment, than, all the other comments don't make any sense and also have to be deleted... It will mess all the thread. I don't see any harm on keeping it like it is.

I agree generally, but the language used in this quote is pretty bad and harsh. It can push away people who come here for the first time. Let it be a little exception. So I edited my post too.

Pete, your turn :)