Klauss

Hey guys,

I am just new here and I am trying to understand how to use this tool. 

The app: more or less a copy of wetransfer

Who's building it ? Me. as a learning project, I want to build a local file transfer app.

What I want it to do? : notifications via email

Single / Multiple files upload ( a maximum of 4 gb per file / or maximum of 4gb of multiple files )

How should I think the structure of this app? 

How would upload system work ? 

Please provide links and tags.

Cheers

Klauss, welcome to the forums. I think you might have too broad of a question there, and I'm not sure anyone can tell you how to build your app. I'm not sure what wettransfer is, but I think you'll need to focus more in on how to do these things with PHP and server configuration (4 gb file uploads is going to require some server config). I think you'll find ProcessWire helpful once you have a good idea of how you'll build this app. 

Klauss,

I believe you meant wetransfer? The bulk file sending service? 

I agree with Ryan, more info is needed before you can get helpful answers. Just broadly, you are looking to do two things - upload files and notify users. ProcessWire can do both. Google this forum (e.g. "upload" and "email notification") and you'll find multiple hits. Beyond this, we don't know the technical details about your app to give you more specific responses. Secondly, how comfortable are you with PHP and ProcessWire API? These will determine how much effort you will need to achieve what you want. 

Hey Guys,

Yes Kongondo I meant Wetransfer the bulk file sending service.

The technical details about my app? Well send big files and notify users .. as simply as it would sound

I am a beginner in both Php and Processwire, as I did mention thisi s a practice exercise for me to learn and use PW. 

So , basically let;s start with the Upload module, How would I build an upload module in PW that would take big files ?

I did some documentation, I think it might require that the files to be broken in smaller parts and uploaded and recomposed on server.

OK, I would recommend that you first learn the basics of PW (http://processwire.com/api/) and some PHP, if you haven't already. Otherwise, it will be difficult for you to follow any threads I point you to, for instance the below. One good way to learn PW is to go through the "Small Project Walkthrough" tutorial in the Wiki, creating a simple site. 

PW has nothing to do with the size of upload files. That is something you set in your server environment, in your php.ini. Google "php maximum upload size" and have a read. Also, have a look at these discussions (Google upload site:processwire.com) as well as this topic: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/3105-create-pages-with-file-upload-field-via-api/

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 2