E-Commerce with ProcessWire?

Crash-n-Burn

Greetings,

I am also building a couple of e-commerce sites.

In the perfect world, I would prefer a 100% ProcessWire e-commerce solution.  However, with all the regulations and security issues surrounding e-commerce, I think it's best to use a service like Shopify or FoxyCart for the sensitive stuff.

The goal, I believe, is to use ProcessWire for all the product information and site development, then offload credit-card transactions when they come into play.  Essentially, I think the discussion is around a system that can pick up where ProcessWire leaves off.

Very curious about other opinions.

Thanks,

Matthew

Not familiar with PCI compliance, but at least in my understanding as long as you don't collect and/or store credit card information you are on the safe side already. No need to have whole store on 3rd party, just from the point when credit card details (or other payment details) are collected and processed. This of course adds one more step for client (moving to other service for payment), but you can stay away from collecting sensible information.

What comes to your needs: I think you should at least try my ecommerce module for it. It already has support for adding payment methods, but also support for additional shipping methods (you could create your own which calculates the shipping cost based on ZIP code). So definitely good fit for PW ecommerce in my opinion.

https://www.braintreepayments.com/tour/pci-compliance

Okay, I will give it a shot and have OpenCart as a fallback in case I can't get it working satisfactorily in time. It seems like the Braintree integration would be as simple as adding their form to the checkout template file in PW, leaving the zip code module as the biggest hurdle.

Apeisa, do you have any time to work on this / serve as support? Like I said, I do have at least some money that I could throw at it. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Greetings,

Yes, as others have said, the rules apply to how credit card data can be stored.  But that's enough!

Anyone who reads the potential penalties for failing to implement this the right way should be properly frightened enough to offload the sensitive stuff to a third party for that portion of the work.

With that said, I want to use ProcessWire for as much of the e-commerce process as possible.  I only want to offload the least number of steps.  It would be terrific to learn more about how different people are successfully handling the whole e-commerce process in ProcessWire.

Thanks,

Matthew

I remember playing with Antti's module a while back and it works well from my limited time with it.

I actually wish for one job that is now an uber-customised Lemonstand installation that I had put some time into working with this module, but there were time constraints and I didn't know as much then as I do now about ProcessWire and modules.

From what I've seen though even a PayPal module should just be a case of a few hours' work and you get some neat benefits with ProcessWire of being able to make any page a product etc etc.

I think at one point someone was working on a profile for it that made the default layout look more like a shop and it looked really impressive - I just can't find the link on my phone.

Here's the topic I was talking about where Luis was working on a profile: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/1732-shop-for-processwire-apeisa/?fromsearch=1

Unfortunately the link seems dead, but from memory it was quite far along Joss so it might be an idea to ask Luis for a screenshot. I thought it was extremely promising in that it was almost ready in terms of how it looked, so if it can become a community effort then we might get one profile ticked off very quickly :)

Joss, think about a starting point. 

If you provide a site profile with too much options out of the box you make it hard for beginners to handle the system. 

If you want to show whats possible just do a demo profile.

You set up a profile with bootstrap, for a non bootstrap user it takes some time to get familiar with, keep that in mind.

You set up a profile with bootstrap, for a non bootstrap user it takes some time to get familiar with, keep that in mind.

Hi Luis - that kind of works both directions. 

I am tending to default to bootstrap at the moment as I am also trying to get my head round what is possible. Also, to be fair, I am not good enough that I would be very happy with something I did being pushed as a perfect solution - more of a rather rough starting point!

Just trying to share my experiences in shops, which are my core business.

The first thing I usually do the first time I´m testing a new shop system is looking into the template code. 

I created a Shop mid last year with OpenCart and it tooked me long to understand what happend in the "starting" template.

The problem is, that the devs wanna show how good the Shop could look and forget about form follows function in most cases. 

So for my 0,02€ (Yes Euro Cents :P ) try to keep the design approach as simple as possible. 

Just the ProWi way, give the user the tools but not the markup.

Yeah, I agree with that. I was playing with both OpenCart and Magento last year and the templating system was bewildering - I could not get my head around have the two sides of it in completely different parts of the directory tree.

I found Lemonstand is a bit easier to understand from a templating point of view, but with any of these systems it's bewildering as Joss says - especially compared to the E-commerce module Antti has made where you build your site as normal with the visitor in mind and then simply add one field to a page to make it a product.

I know that's a shorter version of how it actually works, but it is MUCH easier and you're focusing on getting it right rather than wasting time on learning another system and wrapping your head around yet another templating system.

• Like 2

Oh, glad you put that explanation - I hadnt gotten as far as working that out.

For the moment, I am almost ignoring the module and just putting together a simple catalogue with some listing options. It will use includes for the specific bits of the layout so they can be replaced/changed easily.

Or it will end up on the floor as a slightly sticky mess - one or the other.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone used paymill?

Hey diogo, great minds think alike as I was looking at this earlier.

In fact, I installed Antti's shopping cart module about an hour ago as well and was tinkering with that in some detail for the first time so I'm keen to see ho easy it is to whip up a payment module or two (this and gocardless.com are very interesting for me - gocardless especially for business clients looking to sell more expensive items online).

PayMill's API makes it look very simple to use indeed. I was very impressed by the demo and the fact that it seems like you can run payments through your site, keeping customers in one place, whilst still being PCI compliant (even if your server isn't) as all you store is a token and the rest of the payment handling is done behind the scenes. They still recommend an SSL certificate though, which makes perfect sense when entering card details.

I basically want to familiarise myself with Antti's module and various payment options enough that I'm better informed the next time an e-commerce site comes along. I'd much rather do everything in ProcessWire :)

Think its not impossible that paymill will expand into the US market.

Paymill is a company from Rocket Internet, one of the biggest German Incubators. They are the founders of Zalando, which is maybe the biggest German eCommerce startup.

Thanks for the Zalando information Luis. I was considering using Paymill for a project and this gives me some confidence. For those who don't know Zalando and how big it is, I can only say that every time I go to a post office in Germany there is at least one person from the cue that went there to pick a package from them :)