Lux Communications

joshuag

Joshua you're a great designer & web-developer. Really like what I see. I can see it's designed for big displays as my macbook 13" comes pixels to short. 

I'm amazed by the performance (FPS) of the web site.

I do see why you have the getting dark for the background, but it's activating a little to early to my taste. I think when you activate it when starting the slide is the right time to do it, then you know the guest is interested in that part of the site.

Another thing is easy to solve. The browser title telling me that the home page is home (duh :-)). maybee the companies name is a better browser title. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback and your kind words Martijn :) 

I have updated the title of the homepage - good catch. Thank you.

I agree about the black fade... I have been adjusting that a bunch of times to try to find the right balance. 

Still a lot of work to do on the site. Little by little. 

Hey joshua - it is very stylish indeed. One issue I am having is dragging the sliders sideways is temperamental for me. Most of the time they just bounce back to the start. I am on Chrome / OSX. Anyone else having this issue?

hmmm strange. I am also on chrome OSX. I will have to experiment more. I am noticing that in dev tools sometimes the hover events fire more than once on the same object and can eat memory. Totally need to change how I am applying the event listeners - and maybe destroy them every time also. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

on http://luxcommunications.ca/blog/brand-new-lux-website/

When I look on my desktop 1440x900 the copy font isn't readable. I can't finish one paragraph before loosing it and my eyes get tired. It's too big and very little contrast. Kinda get a upface feeling, maybe also todo with distance from monitor. When I scale in the browser to 2 steps smaller it's already better and I can read it already a lot easier.

On the main page http://luxcommunications.ca/

It's all nice and has nice touches! But found it hard to use and the fading at best annoying. For example I scrolled down with mousewheel and suddenly it starts darken - lighten and I don't really get it at first why. Also the "drag" arrows when hovering are a nice touch, so I start dragging and  am kinda surprized that there's no inertiam it's kinda sticky and have to drag-drag-drag, personally not that nice. It may would be nicer it it snaps to the next one. After dragging suddenly it scrolls back to the first and I haven't done anything (ah now see, it's when I "mouseout" on the browser window), again wired and annoying.

Just my honest feedback from first time observation.

• Like 1

Adrian - I had the same thing when scrolling too fast one one of the entries in Firefox on Windows - it decided to slide back to the start for some reason.

Other than that, great site and unique look - certainly not straining my eyes reading it :)

• Like 1

Hey Pete, the problem happens sometimes and not others. I'll reload the page and it works ok, and then reload again and it won't work at all, no matter what speed nor how fast I drag. Not sure if it is related to image not loading in time or what, but definitely not functional when it's mis-behaving. I am sure Joshua will get it sorted out though :)

• Like 1

You guys are tough. :) My impression is that the site is awesome, something different with lots to discover and great visual rewards. It made me want to stick around. I've found this site and the one that Felix posted to be some of the most visually interesting and engaging sites I've seen recently. 

• Like 2

I think it's a nice design, Designers should show of their skills on their own websites :)

I also notice some JS quirks though. The dark background not always works, and I would much prefer "click/animation" to the dragging.

A detail that I would definitely change is the italic "manifesto". I get the feeling that that's an artificial Italic and not the one designed for the typeface (the strange diagonal dot gave me that clue)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi joshua you are a great designer, very innovative and a excellent firt impression, just a set more speed to the pointer cursor when is onhover over the slides, if i click fast in other section of your site, i select the image and not run correctly, i just need wait a sec for the manual slide function

• Like 1