Slightly unusual server requirements

Joss

Without going into any details (I actually can't) I might have to build a simple site in a hurry for a medium level celeb.

The site will be to support their autobiography which may cause some headlines (or not - difficult to predict)

The website will just give a bit of background to the book, have some embedded videos (probably YouTube hosted) and some photos that did not make the final edit of the book.

Knowing celebs, there will not be much money kicking around!

The problem is that if this hits the headlines, the site could gain a lot of interest for a few days or maybe a few weeks.

But the chances are that after that, interest in the actual site will fall away more or less completely.

Without the controversy, this site could probably sit happily on a shared solution - but if this takes off, that might be problematical - but only in the very short term.

So, how do I get round this?

Going to a dedicated server for a year's contract would be silly, but starting on a shared might also be a problem.

Ideally, I should be on a powerful server for the first month, see how it goes, and down grade to a shared.

Any ideas on how I can plan this out would be wonderful - I have never encountered this before.

Joss

PS: UK Users - Just stick with the technical and do not worry about the celeb! However tempting that is..... :)

ProCache module? :)

I'm also using Vidahost (affiliate link) Cloud hosting personally and at work, which I think might help in this situation. Their platform serves websites via many load-balanced web servers and have separate MySQL boxes, rather than a single server doing everything.

Thanks, I will go an look. It is just the possibility that in the first week the celeb will get 500,000 hits and then in the second, once everyone realises that all the revelations are in the book not the site she will get 10 hits.

And yes, whatever I do, I will use the pro-cache module.

Hmmm, it's a she, we are getting somewhere... (twiddling thumbs).... :-X  :ph34r:

Down that path lies madness - trust me, I have been doing this (surviving this? ) for 35 years.

Anyway, you will find out at the end of the month when the book comes out.

• Like 1

Maybe something like the "Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud"?  (http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/)

According to that page...

"... increase or decrease capacity within minutes, not hours or days. "

"On-Demand Instances let you pay for compute capacity by the hour with no long-term commitments."

I haven't used it so can't comment on what it's like in practice, but it sounds promising in principle.

I will have a look at those, chaps.

I just chatted to Rackspace and they thought I could run a 4gb linux server for, perhaps, 2 weeks (that would be about 42 pounds) and then take an image and restore it to a 1 gb at 3p per hour.

Though, if it calmed right down, I would be tempted to dump it and put it on a shared.