How to install an admin theme?

ryan

I wanted to add this here for those that may come across an admin theme here they want to install, but not know how. It's very easy, just create a directory called /site/templates-admin/ and upload the admin theme files there. That's all there is to it.

For more detailed install instructions and a directory of ProcessWire admin themes, go here:

http://processwire.com/download/admin-themes/

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Total newb here who just downloaded the Pwire demo, running on Leopard with MAMP. I wanted to install a different admin theme, and when I created the '/site/templates-admin/' folder, loaded the Dark Night theme and reloaded my admin page, I got this error:

Compile Error require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/pwire/site/templates-admin/controller.php' (include_path='.:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php5.2/lib/php') (line 13 of /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/pwire/site/templates/admin.php)

Does this appear to be a problem with my PHP installation?

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Nevermind...I just had the directory structure wrong. All set now.

- moose1

Edited by moose1

Hey welcome to the forums moose.

Glad you figured it out yourself. Just wanted to inform that my darknight theme isn't currently on latest PW. It needs some adaption, since there's some new things introduced like multilang admin, and field cols. Possibly that there's some issues.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

i love PW, thanks!

I cannot install a new admin theme. I've created a directory called "templates-admin" inside the "site" directory. So the path is /site/templates-admin.

Then I've put all the admin templates files inside that directory, but when i refresh the page nothing changes.

Am I doing something wrong?

Really thanks.

Hi verdeandrea and welcome to PW.

PW 2.4 introduces a new system for managing admin themes. If you are using 2.4 and you're new to PW I would recommend staying with the default theme for the moment until existing themes are updated to handle some of the new functionality. However if you are still keen to change, I think all you should need to do for the moment is uninstall "Default Admin Theme" from the Core tab of the module settings page. Then your manually installed theme should work. Alternatively, you could follow Ryan's instructions for converting your old theme of choice into a new installable theme:
http://processwire.com/talk/topic/4650-new-processwire-admin-theme-on-dev-branch/?p=53671

Let us know if you need any further help.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So guys tell me, since PW 2.4 introduced a new system for managing admin thems, and since I copied the folder template-admin from Wire to Site, the fact I cannot see the changes is because of the 2.4 new system? is that correct?

I was wondering why I was unble to see the changes in the localhost

Yes....changes will not occur automatically. The new Admin theme is a module. An installation is required.  If you have a new admin theme that is a module, it goes to /site/modules/ as usual. Of course, you cannot install the same (meaning same Class) module twice, so cannot just copy and install the admin theme. Have a look at this: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/3584-better-image-management-better-integration-with-wysiwyg/?p=60625

• 2 years later...

Emm additionally newbie here and require some an opportunity to comprehend all subjects, yet this point truly hit me so hard in light of the fact that have the same issue, I am utilizing WordPress with an admin (wp-admin) does anybody know how to install theme ?

Hello @marvinbible, welcome to to the forums,

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for the way to install a frontend theme, in the sense of installing WordPress, Joomla, etc... themes, right? In the ProcessWire world there is no such thing at all, so there is no way to install it either. We have "site profiles" to choose from during the installation process of the system. There are various ways to apply various template files to a given page of the site, but normally you cannot just switch themes to change the look of the frontend. This is because – as opposed to WordPress –, there is no "official way" of building frontends. ProcessWire gives total freedom in this area, there is no core support for theming the frontend.

We also have Admin Themes, which can be switched though. This is what is somewhat similar to WordPress frontend theme switching (and it is based on the concept of modules, actually), but it is for the admin area, not the frontend.

Edited by szabesz
fixes
  • Like 2

I've just added the Reno theme to my admin. It came up in the Modules list so I installed it there, and I can adjust the few settings on its page, but nothing's changed. It's still showing the default admin theme.

I've tried logging out and in again and used a different browser, just in case it was a caching issue, but still nothing has changed. Any ideas what's going on?