Another villas site

ryan

I've been working on this one for a few months and just launched it this morning:

http://villasofdistinction.com

I also did the previous iteration of this site, 5 or so years ago (which was running ProcessWire 1.0). The new site is powered by ProcessWire 2.4 (2.3 dev). 

The site is responsive and designed for a good experience on both desktop and mobile. While I did all the development, the site's design/look and feel was created by the client (they have their own internal design agency). 

Most of the work in this project was actually not anything you can see on the front end. Instead, most of the work went towards back-end management, workflow and web services. The client has a large number of editors and agents that needed various capabilities, workflows, feeds and such. So there's a lot more going on here in terms of a management platform than in the previous iteration... and that's mostly what kept me busy for so those few months. 

Modules used here:

• Foundation 4 Profile
  • All In One Minify (AIOM)
  • FieldtypeMapMarker (with MarkupGoogleMap)
  • Pro Cache
  • Form Builder
  • Hanna Code
  • Redirects
  • Selector test
  • Changelog
  • Version Control for Text Fields
  • Batcher
  • Admin Template Columns
  • CKEditor
  • Select Multiple Transfer
  • CollagePlus
  • And a few custom modules
  • Like 26

It really is a great looking color scheme. I love that you've built a modern site that is still so functional. I have to admit to being more than a little frustrated by some of the current interfaces being developed these days.

Great job!

• Like 1

Since I found ProcessWire, I have been huge fan of different Villa sites (all build with ProcessWire). This one is my new favourite, brilliant work Ryan!

Amazing how fast the site is, even from this side of Atlantic and with all those huge images. ProCache, PW, AIOM, server and good image optimizations all doing their magic I suppose.

• Like 1

Very, very smart.

This is the kind of site that should be used as a long case study (small ebook, to be honest) going through details such as

• why dedicated work-flows are so important (and how to define them) 
  • the importance of rigidly defining the brief,
  • the necessity of being able to recreate ideal workflows in the back-office for the editorial/site management reasons,
  • the creation of an editorial hierarchy and managing it
  • the level of expertise required to attack such a project
  • the importance of a consistent and understandable API to have a chance of a) creating the site and b) modifying and developing the site over a sustainable period
  • why developing such a site within a rigid structure such as Joomla or Wordpress would undermine most of the above, underlining the importance of being able to create a dedicated application

And the finally, why ProcessWire made all the above not only possible, but delivers a fast, effective, enterprise class solution. So, a big PW advert, basically.

ProcessWire needs such a write up.

• Like 10

Very nice site.

If I'm allowed to suggest something: I think it would benefit from using another (serif) typo (at least for the headlines). This would make it look much more "premium"/"classy" imho (though I'm pretty sure the typo is defined in your customers CD).

I'd also be interested in hearing about the workflow part (if you built some modules for that - will they be released somewhen?).

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys! 

I agree on the serif typeface (replacing the Georgia with another serif face), but it's not my call. I'll suggest it though. I already communicated concern about using a geometric face for body copy (Avenir) but it doesn't seem to be a major issue in the end.

I'll check with the client to see what I can share on the workflow side. But essentially, this site involves 1 PW installation for managing the inventory, and another PW installation for presenting it, and they use web services to chat back and forth all day. 

• Like 4

But essentially, this site involves 1 PW installation for managing the inventory, and another PW installation for presenting it, and they use web services to chat back and forth all day. 

I'm also quite interested in the concept behind those two PW installations.

And of course: Great job on that.

Did the client say anything about IE compatibility?

Lovely job, Ryan! I was so close to booking a 10+ person venue for an impromptu ProcessWire gathering at Calvigny, but $52K per night just sets off my grunge alarms. Maybe the pools aren't refilled nightly or something, you never know. ;)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...