Profile Export module (also upgrade PW 2.0 to 2.1)

ryan

PROCESSWIRE PROFILE EXPORTER

This module serves two purposes:

• To enable exporting of ProcessWire 2.0 sites to a profile that can then be imported into ProcessWire 2.1 (i.e. to upgrade to 2.1).
  • To enable exporting of ProcessWire 2.1 site profiles for sharing or distribution with others.

In either case, the profile exporter does not touch your existing site. It just creates files in a directory (/site/install/) that can then be used for a fresh installation of ProcessWire.

PLEASE NOTE: Consider this module alpha test only. It has not had a lot of use or testing yet so it's advisable to use it in a test environment and not on a production server at this time. I am posting this for those that indicated they wanted to help test the PW 2.0 to 2.1 upgrade process.

HOW TO INSTALL

• Download at: https://github.com/r...ssExportProfile
  • Place the file ProcessExportProfile.module in /site/modules/
  • Login to your admin, click "Modules" at the top, and click "Check for new modules"
  • Click "install" for the Process > Export Profile module.
  • It will create a new page where you can access it under the Setup menu.

HOW TO EXPORT A PROFILE

A profile consists of your site's database, files and templates. To create a profile, Go to Setup > Export Profile. Read the instructions and continue.

Once the profile has been created, you can copy it somewhere else, zip it up, or [if performing an upgrade] copy it directly into your PW 2.1 directory as indicated in the 'upgrading' section below. The profile consists of files in these directories:

/site/install/                  < required
/site/templates/                < required
/site/modules/                  < optional: use only if you have custom modules to include in the profile
/site/templates-admin/          < optional: use only if you have a custom admin theme to include in the profile
/site/assets/                   < optional: use only if exporting all of /site/, and it should be left empty like PW's default profile*
/site/config.php                < optional: use only if you want to specify custom config settings, leave out otherwise**

These directories collectively form the entire /site/ structure of a ProcessWire installation.

If using the profile to upgrade ProcessWire from 2.0 to 2.1 then you'll only want the first two directories above (install and templates)–see the 'Upgrading' section following this one, as the instructions for upgrading are a little different than if you were exporting profiles for distribution.

If you intend to share/distribute your profile with others (as opposed to upgrading), you'll want to ZIP them up into an archive (or use something like GitHub). You may want to make your profile include the entire /site/ directory for easier installation by others. If using the entire /site/ directory as your profile, then just copy all the /site/ files from ProcessWire's default uninstalled profile and replace the directories/files that you want to. For instance, you'll always want to replace the /site/install/ and /site/templates/ directories, but if your profile doesn't include plugin modules or configuration file changes, then you'd keep the default /site/config.php file and /site/modules/ directory from ProcessWire's default profile.

*Any time you are including the entire /site/ directory as your profile, you'll want to include the /site/assets/ directory exactly as it is in the default ProcessWire uninstalled profile. That means the directory is empty, minus an index.php file. During installation, the installer copies files from /site/install/files/ to /site/assets/files/ and ensures they are writable. ProcessWire's installer also creates several other directories under /site/assets. But you don't need to worry about that.

**If you ever do include a /site/config.php in your profile, make sure to remove the last 5 lines that contain confidential information about your database and user system hash.

Once you've saved your profile somewhere else, you should delete the files that this module saved in /site/install/ (they might be consuming a lot of disk space). You'll see a link to do this after you've finished exporting a profile.

UPGRADING FROM PROCESSWIRE 2.0 TO 2.1

This upgrade process is a little different from what you may have seen before. We won't actually be upgrading your current site. Instead we'll be exporting a profile of it, and using it to install a new/fresh copy of ProcessWire 2.1.

To make this work, you'll have to install your copy of ProcessWire 2.1 in another location or another server. Once you've completed the installation and verified that everything is how it should be, you may then replace the original ProcessWire 2.0 site with the new one.

It should be noted that this upgrade does not cover user accounts or access control. You will have to re-create any user accounts and access settings in the new system. This was necessary because PW 2.1 uses an entirely different user system and access control than PW 2.0. Should you have a lot of user accounts that need to be converted, let me know more in the PW forums and I can guide you through how to handle your specific case.

Performing the upgrade

1. Export a site profile as described in the previous section.

2. Download the latest copy of ProcessWire 2.1 at http://processwire.com/download/ and install in a new location. If you are installing on the same server in a different directroy, then don't use the same database as you did in 2.0. Instead create a new database that you will be using for 2.1.

3. Before starting the 2.1 installer, copy these directories from your ProcessWire 2.0 installation to your ProcessWire 2.1 files (completely replacing the directories in the 2.1 files):

/site/install/    =>   /site-default/install/
/site/templates/  =>   /site-default/templates/

4. Now run the ProcessWire 2.1 installer by loading the URL to it in your browser. If all goes as it should, you'll see your 2.0 site now running 2.1.

There are some likely issues that may occur, so read the following section about troubleshooting whether you think you need to or not.

2.0 TO 2.1 UPGRADE TROUBLESHOOTING

I installed 2.1 using the new profile but now I get a 404 Not Found for every page

If you run into this problem, login to ProcessWire 2.1 (/processwire/), edit the template used by your homepage, click the "access" tab and "yes". Then check the box for "guest" view access, and save. Your site should now be functional.

I installed 2.1 using the new profile but now many pages have no title

ProcessWire 2.0 assumed that all pages had a title field whether it was ever officially assigned to the template or not. ProcessWire 2.1 is different in this regard. So if you run into pages without titles, edit the templates used by those pages, add the field 'title' and hit save. The issue should now be fixed.

I ran out of memory or had a timeout when exporting a profile or installing the 2.1 site with the profile

On a large site, it's possible that the resources dedicated to PHP might not be enough for the exporter or installer to complete it's job. Should this happen to you, we may need to do one or more parts of the process manually. So if you run into this scenario, please post in the forum and we'll get it figured out.

I installed 2.1 and all went well but I now have a non-working "Export Profile" page on my Setup menu (last item)

This is the page used by the Profile Exporter module on your 2.0 site. Your 2.1 site won't have the Profile Exporter installed and you can safely delete this page or drag it to the trash.

• Like 2

Thanks Ryan, this is going to be a really useful module. With a system as flexible as PW, everyone will have their own ideas for how something should be built. It will be interesting to see what best practices and patterns turn up with the sharing of site profiles in the community. And of course it will be great for new users to get started with some ready made packages.

I've just tested on my local machine exporting a 2.1 site. I had an issue with the modules which I did not copy over.

All went well up to the "create admin" screen. After clicking create, it threw an error about the Gmap module. Copying the modules over did not fix anything, and I ended up starting again from a fresh DB. This time I copied all the modules folder first :

site/install
site/templates
site/modules

I then ran the install again and it went through fine.

You also might want to remind users after the install / migration that all the user permissions will need to be updated again. Otherwise everything is working great.

Thanks again,

Michael

Michael, thanks for testing that. I have updated the instructions on this page (under the 'How to export a profile' section) to account for this. It now includes the /site/modules/ directory as an optional inclusion. And the same applies to /site/templates-admin/ and /site/config.php. Everything has to be ready-to-go in the import profile before the PW installer is run.

I tried to transfer a 2.1 site with this module. I had following issues:

- user emails were lost

- user roles were lost for the users. (I had to reassign the roles for all users, but the roles were not lost)

I assumed this was going to be an issue with an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 because the user system has changed. But this was just a 2.1 to 2.1 transfer.

Next up, I'm going to try to upgrade a 2.0 to 2.1, I'll let you guys know how it went!

Thanks for testing it out. This module is a bit of a work in progress that is more ready for upgrading PW 2.0 to 2.1 than it is for anything else, and that's where I've focused my attention and testing in the short term. I decided to get it out sooner rather than later since there were several people asking for the ability to upgrade PW 2.0. Though it's not far off from more since the process is so similar. However, profiles are more accurately termed 'installation profiles' so they aren't meant to include user accounts. The fact that it included user accounts at all in your export would mean that's a bug I have to fix. :) Though the intention is that this module will give you the option to include or exclude user accounts. For instance, if you want to export a profile for migration of a site from dev to live, then you could export a profile that includes user accounts. That will probably come in the next version.

Thanks for that clarification. I gave this another go at another site I'm building, in which I actually need some functions of 2.1. Pages display properly, only 1 problem: I don't get my tree in the admin screen anymore!

[edit] Sorted it out. I accidently switched the 2.0 wire with the 2.1. Was a bit in a hurry..

Ryan i got an exception after the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1, after the admin creation step  :(

Exception: Unable to add field '' to Fieldgroup 'annuncio' (in /home/daydule/public_html/wire/core/Fieldgroup.php line 83)

This error message was shown because /install.php still exists. Error has been logged.

It sounds like there is reference to a field no longer in use in your fieldgroups_fields. Not sure why it would be there, but we need to remove it. Because your new copy of PW won't run at present, It'll have to be done from PhpMyAdmin (or another MySQL client). It sounds like the install actually may have finished, so try this on your new PW 2.1 database, rather than the old one. Open the PW database in PhpMyAdmin, click the "SQL" tab at the top,  paste in the following query and click "go":

SELECT fieldgroups_fields.fieldgroups_id, fieldgroups_fields.fields_id 
FROM `fieldgroups_fields` 
LEFT JOIN fields ON fieldgroups_fields.fields_id=fields.id 
WHERE fields.id IS NULL;

The results will show you any matches that don't belong there. Click the red "x" next to any matches to delete them. Then try to open your site in the browser and see if that fixes it.

• 5 months later...

just upgraded from 2.0 to 2.2.. all seems well, except in the admin:

1. the ACCESS -> USERS page produces error:

Error Call to a member function get() on a non-object (line 93 of /var/www/vhosts/mysite/pw2/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageType/ProcessPageType.module)

Peter, go to Modules > Process > Users.

In the Users config screen under the heading "What fields should be displayed in the page listing?" it should say:

name

email

roles

Are you seeing something different? Double check that you have an 'email' field in your system too. (Setup > Fields)

thanks, that seemed to take care of it... at first the email field was not there, just name and roles. then I went to fields, and turned the filter to show built-in fields, and then the email field showed up over in process > users.

thankyou! pb

I thought my upgrade was all set, but I get the following error when I try to add a new page...

Error Call to undefined method stdClass::getInputfield() (line 171 of /var/www/vhosts/mysite.com/httpdocs/pw2/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageAdd/ProcessPageAdd.module)

When you try to add that new page, do you have the choice of selecting which template? If not, try adjusting your 'family' setting on the parent page's template and temporarily adjust it to not have a defined child template here. Just in case some data is amiss, also edit the template (Setup > Templates > your new page template) and save it. Do the same for the template used by the parent of the page you are trying to add. Lastly, do the same for the 'title' field (Setup > Fields > title). The purpose of this is to refresh the config data for the relevant templates/fields there, just in case there is some leftover PW 2.0 setting, re-saving those templates/fields should clear it out.

ok, when I remove "Allowed template(s) for children" and save, the error goes away, but as soon as I re-add it, the error returns... only the top level template has a title field, but I can't delete it, as it says:

Field "title" may not be removed because it is globally required by all fieldgroups

is there anything else I can flush out or reset?

I think that may be the problem here, as title is a required field. How do you have templates without a title? PW requires a title from all templates, except in specific cases. The ProcessPageAdd module assumes your template has a title field. When it finds there is none, that's where the exception is getting thrown (I think). I'm thinking you can fix this just by adding a title field to any of your templates that lack it, but still wondering how the templates were created without one. (Perhaps something about PW 2.0 that I don't remember). :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm trying to create a Multilanguage profile export. I have changed the title to be PageTitleLanguage.

Now the export went well, but when I try to install the profile I get this error

Unknown column 'data1011' in 'field list'

It installs and all works except that the title field is back to a normal title field, and all titles are gone (empty). Which means it doesn't work.

I'm not surprised that the profile exporter module doesn't work with multi language fields just because it was written before multi language fields existed. Though it's not totally clear to me why it wouldn't work, since the multi-language values become part of the regular field data. I'll have to experiment with it and update the profile exporter module to support them. When you imported the profile, did it show the Languages module as arleady installed, or did you have to install it after importing the module?