Vote for ProcessWire to be packaged by BitNami

saml

I don't see any malice here - just a playful comment that only references PW because we are leading in this little race. If it had been someone else, then PW would not have been mentioned.

Certainly not worth beating up the MODX chaps over - probably a nice enough bunch!

• Like 2

I don't see any malice here - just a playful comment that only references PW because we are leading in this little race. If it had been someone else, then PW would not have been mentioned.

Certainly not worth beating up the MODX chaps over - probably a nice enough bunch!

Guess I was one of the few that misinterpreted this tweet, as that is exactly what I got back from the MODX team a few minutes ago. It was indeed about beating the one in the lead, not about PW at all. Sorry folks, let's carry on with whatever we were doing and forget about this nonexistent issue.

:-)

edit: clarification here: https://twitter.com/modx/status/425235379185541120

Edited by Jeroen Kenters

Hi folks. This is Jay from MODX.

I am the one who composed the offensive tweet. My sincere apologies for the bad form. It was not intended to be an attack on Processwire in any way, however, it is now obvious it would be interpreted as such. I had written a few tweets and scheduled them in HootSuite in support of Elasticsearch (a project we're using on some of our site properties). As Processwire are the ones to beat, it was intended to be a call to action for folks supporting Elasticsearch. No excuses. I would have been equally appalled by someone appearing to attack MODX. 

Keep rallying the troops, PW deserves to be in Bitnami, for sure. 

• Like 6

Hi Jay,

Nice seeing you here and thanks for the clarification. I don't wish to give this more mileage since no malice was meant but as you'll see in my post above, as a "MODX-er", I was one of the people "confused/appalled" as I know you guys.....

Hope you guys are well.. :-)

@kongondo yes. chalk it up to a brain fart. 
@dazzyweb. Already done: http://note.io/1mk7juA

Best of luck, though it doesn't look like you'll need it. One suggestion from my experience campaigning for MODX though was consistency makes a difference. Ask on your social spaces at least once every other day. Many people will not see one tweet/+post/FB post etc. It really made it happen for us. PW obviously has an active and supportive community. 

Cheers, all. 

• Like 5

I didn't take any offense from the MODX tweet. I saw it as a bit of a compliment to be recognized and mentioned by them, even if that wasn't the purpose of the tweet. It's nice to be on the radar at least. I've always seen MODX as one of the big guys. When you are a relatively small project, this kind of thing is good press. They've got a lot of followers and some people that didn't know about ProcessWire may now know about it. They know that. So long as they aren't saying bad things about us, then I'd see it as a friendly mention. 

But then the context and scale settled in. As nice as it is to have any mention, a single tweet from them could essentially kill us in any kind of competition like this (they've got 4k+ followers). That realization got me a little down yesterday as I realized all the hard work of saml and others to get out the vote could be wiped away with a single tweet from them. Hundreds or thousands of people voting for one thing to vote against another, many perhaps not even knowing what either is. That was my fear, luckily that hasn't played out. But I'd like to thank Jeroen, Mary and others that were looking out for the project here. I honestly don't think MODX had any bad intensions (and ElasticSearch deserves recognition), but it is really awesome just to know that people are looking out for the project like this.  

• Like 6

Greetings,

In the end, it will turn out to be good (though unintentional) press and attention for ProcessWire!

And it is good to see friendly connections between ProcessWire and ModX. It's so easy to have bad relations in the virtual world, but so much better for everyone to build each other up.

I have voted often already.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 1

Greetings,

In the end, it will turn out to be good (though unintentional) press and attention for ProcessWire!

Quite probably true.

And if in doubt, shout - I can make good spin out of almost anything :)

Silk purses anyone?

(shoves deaf pig out of sight)

And it is good to see friendly connections between ProcessWire and ModX. 

MODX is the only big CMS project that has taken the time out to participate in our community here (Mark, Shaun, now Jay, and maybe others), and all have been positive forces here. A year or two ago, Shaun, one of the MODX core developers (at least at the time), took out the time to chat with me on the phone, do some code review and provide some valuable open source tips and suggestions. No other big CMS projects have been as supportive or taken an interest in ProcessWire like MODX has. They have always been friendly to ProcessWire and I've always viewed the MODX project as like a big brother to our project. These connections are why I see any mention on Twitter in a friendly manner. Though I genuinely appreciate those who responded to the tweet and were looking out for us either way. Had it been from some other CMS project where we didn't already have these connections, it might be different. But this all reinforces to me what a great community we have here.

• Like 5

Ryan, any chance sending out a circular to forum members to rally in some votes?

I'll check with Pete on that one, as I'm not sure we have permission to send mass mailings to forum members. But we do have a good size email list of people that have requested email updates from us, so I could send to that. We still need to promote the contest on our Facebook group as well. I think it might be a matter of timing. As some others have mentioned, these contests tend to get most of their votes at the end, and that might be when we need to make these requests from the community.

On one hand I'm a little afraid about us investing too many resources or asking much of people for this, as I recognize this type of voting system can be controlled by motivated individuals with a farm of proxy servers or by using existing web traffic for blind submissions (opensourcecms.com is a good example of what happens). But I also don't yet see any evidence of that going on here, and with the community already rallying behind this one, I am going to do everything I can to support it too. I am hopeful that we can win this one and get PW (hopefully 2.4!) into Bitnami.

• Like 1

I think there is a good chance - with a little bit of energy.

But also this has been no bad publicity in any case. I have myself clicked on a few of the other candidates that I have never heard of to find out a little more (especially ones that are not CMSs), and I imagine that some have clicked on PW for the same reason.

I actually caught that tweet on twitter yesterday when I was trying to figure out (again) how Twitter works and thought I would search for #Processwire ! :rolleyes:

Anyways just cast my vote over at Bitnami ( # 462 ) and a tweet as well....

Cheers guys!

• Like 1

Like I mentioned here before, strange things seem to happen on the last few days.

I do think a little more effort could be made to get processwire some more votes.

it is a couple of months now since i asked Bitnami to register processwire for the contest and started the ball rolling back in November.

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/5043-vote-for-processwire-on-bitnami/?hl=bitnami

Such was my excitement at discovering processwire. :)

I have felt since then that the push to win this is a bit lacklustre.

Let's rally in the troops and win this.

• Like 2

I agree. Everyone please vote if you haven't already. This would be good exposure for ProcessWire. I hope to get an email distribution sent out for those that might not yet know about this, but don't want to send it till the last couple days of the contest (urgency produces better results with those things). 

• Like 7

will be hard to win. This other CMS pushes fake votes. Look at their community, the amount of members and posts! Just can't be real votes!!

We have no way of knowing that they are using fake votes and so should not make that accusation. We are not talking about a huge amount of votes here for anyone. 

Greetings,

I don't want to jump to conclusions either. However, I do think the numbers are a bit funky.

Two days ago, ProcessWire was at 510 votes. This morning it is at 585. Now, I have voted myself 10 times in that period. That means that besides me ProcessWire only received 65 votes in two days?

By a quick show of hands in this discusion we can probably say this doesn't add up.

Perhaps they tally votes in a way that would explain this?

Thanks,

Matthew