Where did you find about ProcessWire?

apeisa

Great question! Even the fact you are asking displays a desire to grow an effective & healthy community here at ProcessWire. I am a newer webbuilder with lots to learn on all fronts. I by accident, came across a comment posted by Ryan (I forget where) about 'fields'. It immediately caught my attention, I went to the PW website and got led to the video introduction, got excited by Ryan's easy straight forward approach to using PW, jquery, and it's scalability and depth of use. I found the software quick to download and open in admin on my home server(to give it a try) and voila, was amazed at the ease to get started using it. I hope to have the first site public in the next couple weeks(online jewelry business) ;)

Cheers,

Grant

Soma, that gag is really funny, though it's not 100% what I was imagining while writing ;D I'm really surprised it's getting so much feedback especially taking in consideration my limited knowledge of English. Maybe it's really worth using as a tagline  ;)

Yeah ,I know there's a little twist, but it's hard to visualize yours 100% :D. It is sure spot on and lit a spark in my brain... sorry if it did offend anyone.

Well, to put it in Ryans metaphor terms, it should be anyway be called Skyscraper in the body of a Chalet. ;)

Yeah ,I know there's a little twist, but it's hard to visualize yours 100% :D. It is sure spot on and lit a spark in my brain... sorry if it did offend anyone.

What a pity people can't read each other's minds :) I think everybody liked it, I can't see it's offensive in any way. Well, maybe it is for Drupal users because of fake bicepses ;D

Well, to put it in Ryans metaphor terms, it should be anyway be called Skyscraper in the body of a Chalet. ;)

Here's another good flavor  ;)

I found ProcessWire through a comment by Ryan on an article about Expression Engine. I think is was something about proprietary mark up languages in CMSs like EE or Textpattern.

I checked the intro video and was impressed. The demo and a really helpful and nice Ryan convinced me to give it a try. Currently designing and developing my first site using PW and I'm enjoying every minute. Things I missed in WordPress that had to be added with plugins were build right into the core of PW and the way it is build is exactly the way I think.

Couldn't be more happy with a CMS right now :-)

Thanks for the continued feedback. Given what I've learned here, I have updated our homepage <title> tag to:

ProcessWire CMS: Custom Fields, Strong API, Easy Admin (PHP 5)

I don't think I can go any longer than that before Google will truncate it in the serps. But if anyone has any optimizations to suggest let me know. I think the first half is probably about right, but not sure how audience and keyword-relevant the second half is with "Strong API, Easy Admin (PHP 5)"... that's just my best guess.

A short writeup on people searching Google for "custom fields CMS" (with that string in writeup article title), discussing the way Processwire fits the needs of that distraught, often lonely crowd, ought to help out nicely, too. :-)

Hello,

I'm new here. I discovered ProcessWire a few days ago, thanks to this tweet :

Then I watched the video overview on the ProcessWire site. It's an excellent video, made me curious about PW and installed it. And then I felt in love :)

I'm rebuilding a tiny site with PW and so far, so good.

Well I found ProcessWire through a discussion on the MODx forums "If you *had* to choose another CMS for a project, what would it be?" (long time supporter of MODx but not quite so sure about the recent direction although there's some very cool stuff in there). Have been using various CMS over a period of about ten years and not found too many one's to stick with. Had used ExpressionEngine as the core of my business for a while but steadily accumulating a lot of issues with the system as time went on rather than the reverse; so I had started to move towards SilverStripe but think you need to be more of a programmer to really harness and extend the system properly - but still promising). So was on one of my periodic trawls for something better when I came across ProcessWire.

Agree I'd not be Googling for jQuery CMS - more like custom fields MVC object oriented and so forth... also things like CMF. I tend to keep an eye on thinks like the annual Packt awards - not that I'd automatically adopt a system based on that but it often flags projects worth watching.

I think the PW site design helps draw you in and obviously comes from someone with a design background; has the same quality feel of ExpressionEngine and Symphony CMS and feels much better to me than so many other CMS sites. I loved the video with Ryan - great intro and definitely drew me in to explore the system more and great to discover someone with both great design and front-end skills plus a really good grasp of all the back-end stuff as well. Then going into the API and other features it just started to tick so many boxes  :) The comments in the source code are really useful especially in the demo sites - although it took a little while for me to decode that big include in the Skyscraper demo and possibly an enhanced demo site shipped with the product which didn't abstract so much code would have been useful in the early days to quickly see what was going on there.  But I know you're already expanding that demo now and I also respect that the starting docs on the PW site took a lot of work and already outstripped some other much more established projects.

Now we have much more of a goldmine of examples provided by Ryan and the community in the forums - but would still be nice to have a bit of a 'cookbook' area of documentation which pulled a lot of these together rather than having to trawl these forums?

Well I've now built a few sites in PW and so far not come across any show-stoppers, plus any boxed still not ticked on my list are steadily getting there with community contributions and Ryan's ongoing hard work so I can foresee a time in the not too distant future when it could be used for most of my projects... and I've been more than happy to shout about it through my Twitter account and in other place so hopefully others get to hear the good news :)

PS great images Soma  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

On opensourcecms.com

I periodically look at the rankings and for any new CMSes as I've never been satisfied with Drupal or Joomla. Wordpress is great for somethings. Processwire seems to get out of my way and let me do things how I want for the most part. :)

• 3 months later...

Since I've been working with some custom CMS's (one came really close to which PW defines content) I always wondered how it would like to just have a tree. And all the content should be considered in that tree. It could work for multisites, languages and pages. Searching in the Textpattern forums on a way to define data I've stumbled across a small post. I clicked the PW frontpage away too quickly. Then, a few months later (still searching for the custom fields, custom data, tree like structure) I was willing to spend some energy in ExpressionEngine. Then I saw something regarding a very fanboylike (no pun intended, the guy seemed very sincere) ExpressionEngine article. I guess it's the same one Christoph talked about. Then I saw the backend of the skyscrapersite and I was blown away. Now I'm pitching PW to my agency. Hopefully they will give my team a chance try do some clientwork with PW.

Arjen, thanks for posting this info. You mentioned that you saw PW a long time ago and clicked away. Do you recall why you didn't stick around at that time? We're going to be putting in a new site design soon, and the more we know about what makes our target audience click away or dig deeper is very valuable.

If I recall it correctly it was due to my interpretation that you were supposed to customize (develop) a lot. The last half year I am becoming more and more confident in some programming basics. I also understand jQuery a lot better. But the mean reason is I read a post of you, Ryan, expaining that learning a tag language (and it's principles - like <txp:get_custom_article />) is not really different than learing some basic PHP loops. That combined with my confidence made me dig deeper. Like I said when I say the backend I was absolutely shocked. This is a lot like I imagined a CMS should be. Plain and simple. And that combined with the easy integration (haven't used it extensively) made me look no further.

Breaking it down: my interpretation that PW was a heavy developer CMS.

I think it's somewhere between the two to be honest.

It can be simple (and deceptively so) but there are a lot of people who do get put off by code and just want to built a website, which is where site profiles will play a part later on :)

It's a powerful tool for developers and design agencies, as well as being a great CMS for those willing to get their hands a little dirty (which I think includes anyone who's done much with the templates in Wordpress as well). I'm hoping that as the web seems to be evolving - to me at least - into more of a community where people want to get involved more that this will help ProcessWire to become even more successful.

I certainly think the fact that pretty much everyone now knows someone who's had a go at building a website themselves, whereas you couldn't say the same thing just five or ten years ago, means that the time for people to get a bit more hands-on is arriving as people want more control over what they create.

Or maybe I'm just daydreaming, but it's a nice dream ;)