Where did you find about ProcessWire?

apeisa

@panictree

There is an underlying problem with so many of the alternatives and that is the use of the term CMS.

As time has moved on and some, like Ryan, but many others too, have looked at web applications as tools that can achieve more than just allowing someone to edit something.

Consequently, the term CMS has come into its own - it is not just about a news article, it is about managing and manipulating all kinds of content.

However, some systems, and I put Joomla and Wordpress into this category, are basically just AMSs - Article Management Systems - that are bent and broken to make them work in other ways as well.

As time moves on, this is going to prove to be more and more of a limitation and if they don't break free of that model, their usefulness, especially for businesses, will dry up.

• Like 4

Nico blogged about a school site he made with Processwire. I had to much time that day and tried Processwire without expecting too much. 2 weeks later and we started to convert all sites to PW.

Now I just can't image how we could easily make great websites withouth Processwire.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

2 years ago fell in love with modx evo - great for designers. Then modx bluntly decided to stop with it (no longer compatible with php 5.4). Now they also decided to stop with modx revo very soon. So I saw my self no choice but start walking the cms desert with google. Seduced by many and playing with getsimple cms. When I read about PW's api inspired by jquery, and no bloatware like ExtJS in the backend it got my interest. The forum helped me to understand later on that PW's pages are like containers. The abstraction layer of PW is such that it gives you direct access to your own custom php and html tags. Both designers and coders can use their skills with PW.

Just perfect !

• Like 1

Then modx bluntly decided to stop with it (no longer compatible with php 5.4). Now they also decided to stop with modx revo very soon.

I didn't realize they were stopping with modx revo? What will their product be then? 

• Like 1

I didn't realize they were stopping with modx revo? What will their product be then?

It will be Modx 3, coded from scratch but inheriting the best of evo and revo, and will be released in 2013

(exact date unknown)

Quote from Ryan Trash:

Nothing in software is permanent or perpetually supported. Adobe does not support the versions of software that were released when Evo was released. Nor does MS with it's Operating Systems. At some point Evo will be deprecated and go on pure and security patch support, then eventually no support at all. Same for Revo.

no php 5.4 for Evo, but security patches yes

concentration on MODX 3 (expected in 2013)

will MODX 3 based on Revo 2.*? No! complete rewrite

upgrade tool Evo --> Revo? no

http://forums.modx.com/thread/?thread=82674&page=1

http://forums.modx.com/thread/82830/evo-revived#dis-post-457048

I'm trying to be here as much unbiased and objective as I can, but apart from too much complexity and bloatware in revo, it doesn't make sense to migrate to revo and then migrate a second time to modx 3.

But I have to give credit where credit is due. I really learned a lot from modx during my days with evo and am going to miss some real professional and friendly modx'ers who always are there to help upgrade your skills.

I always tend to look at it this way:

There are two reasons a large corporation stops support for something

1. It becomes a huge resource burden

2. To encourage users to a version that will be properly resourced because the resources are not being spent on the old version.

Oh, there is a third

3. The old version will become a branding liability

That is fine for a company with a couple of hundred people working on a project and huge investment worked out years in advance.

Your average OS project has anything between 1 and 5 people working on it on anything like a full time basis. And often has no investment available.

I am pretty amazed how long some old versions are supported for, to be honest!

I am frequent nettuts+ reader, so I read this article about PyroCMS and because I was looking for a better CMS solution than all the semi ideal ones out there, it got me interestend. But then I read the comment by Viktor:

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/whats-pyrocms/#comment-810229080

Never heard about PW before.

I came here and instantly had the feeling this might be MY CMS ... so it happened.

• Like 3

I pretty much explained why I left modx evo for processwire in a reaction to a post made on the modx forum and also added my 2 cents to the discussion on Marc Hinse's site .

What started me was that I ran into php 5.4 troubles on my modx evo sites and therefore started looking around.

Then I had one site ported from modx evo to processwire, and now I have decided to move all my modx evo sites to processwire.

PW is extremely fast, I use the procache module. I also use lots of different sized pics on some of my sites and the thumbnails module just is incredible, it makes life sooooooo much easier in the front end, I can not even believe anymore how I used to crop and resize all different images offline and upload to different TV's in modx evo.

I now just upload one image and the module does it all and allows me to choose the cropping.

Do I sound enthusiastic? Sorry about that, but I am! ;)

Thanks Ryan, for a brilliant cms/cmf and thanks to the great people on board who are really making this thing a really kick-ass seo cms!

I am not a developer, not a designer, I just get people to port a design I like and then fiddle around with the html so it ends up high in the serps. OFcourse there is more to it than that, but for what I need I want a csm that allows me to change anything and everything with ease. ANd now PW even has a heatmap module, can you believe what that means for tweaking your bounce rates and visitor retention?

Ah well, better stop now. Processwire is GREAT!

• Like 4

We're right now building a new website for school. We started about 1.5 years ago and by then

there were some good CMSs out there but none seemed to fit. Concrete 5 would have been an

option but the version we tried was not usable at all ..

So we went for a custom solution built on CodeIgniter which right now is about 2 GB in size :o

Using a framework right now I would go for Laravel 4, however ..

Still interested in CMSs I searched the web from time to time and discovered PW on the CMSCritic page.

I actually didn't want to try it for some weird reasons (don't know anymore) but the SkyScrapers demo really got me.

Last week I started building our site in PW again and it's soo fun. Really, I love it. Going to ask the team

on friday but I know they'll love it as well :)

• Like 2

We're right now building a new website for school. We started about 1.5 years ago and by then

there were some good CMSs out there but none seemed to fit. Concrete 5 would have been an

option but the version we tried was not usable at all ..

My schools website was my first pw project, too: http://sgym.de :)

• Like 1

Hallo Nico

Du hast einen Bug eingebaut:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://sgym.dehttp://sgym.de/schule/veranstaltungen/"/>

Läuft die Seite bei einem Massenhoster wie Strato, 1und1 o.ä? Und ist dort das pw-caching aktiv? Danke.

ciao, Stefan

Die läuft bei UD-Media. Hab hier neulich mal zusammengefasst warum UD-Media toll ist: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2970-ud-media-is-great/  :)

Außerdem ist UD-Media für meine Bedürfnisse perfekt, weil nicht so teuer. Und als Schüler hat man nicht soo viel geld in der Tasche ;)

-- Nico

Try uberspace, they rock ;)

Mercy, aber ich such keinen hoster, ich bin mein eigener.  Mir geht es um die Ausführungsgeschwindigkeit von pw, deshalb die Frage nach der Umgebung und ob caching aktiviert ist. Danke für die Infos.

adios, stefan

• Like 1

Mercy, aber ich such keinen hoster, ich bin mein eigener.  Mir geht es um die Ausführungsgeschwindigkeit von pw, deshalb die Frage nach der Umgebung und ob caching aktiviert ist. Danke für die Infos.

adios, stefan

Auch ne Möglichkeit, wenn du in die Verlegenheit kommen solltest einen zu suchen bist du dort 1000mal besser aufgehoben als anderswo ;)

Genug Off-Topic jetzt :D

• Like 1