Where did you find about ProcessWire?

apeisa

• 9 months later...

I had been looking for a basic PHP web development tool.  I originally searched under the terms "CRUD" and then searched for "Open Source web forms PHP".  That brought up ProcessWire and I was intrigued. Custom fields everywhere and the language on the ProcessWire website reached out to me (expertly explained the who, what, when, where and how about using ProcessWire).

Ryan's video where he explained what ProcessWire consists of, is in my humble opinion, the best introduction I had ever seen.  I have been surprised that some of his other videos didn't have spoken text, because he is very good at explaining things.  The Skyscraper demo had me hooked.

• Like 6

I agree about that PW intro video - I know Ryan is self-conscious about his spoken videos, but there was definitely something about his approach that got me hooked. I think it can be hard to find the right balance between being professional enough without going too far and coming across as a hyped up marketing spiel, vs being too low budget and hokey. This video was the right balance for me. I think in general PW could benefit from upping the marketing anti a bit, but not too much!

• Like 8

I have read Feb. 2013 in a board (I do not remember which) that someone said he is very happy about he has found ProcessWire after trying many other CMS for years. That lets me go to the site and after some reading I found the overview video. I loved how naturally and honestly he spoke over that CMS. Looks to me like real love.  :-)  :-*

.(`'`)----(`'`)----(`'`).
| '.'      '.'      '.' |
|       Ryan & PW       |
|                       |
'(`'`)----(`'`)----(`'`)'
  '.'      '.'      '.'
  • Like 5

Adrian, I agree.  I believe it's more about being knowledgeable about the subject you are talking about.  Ryan knows web development, PHP, listens and has a comforting way of explaining things. You are never left scratching your head --- you normally say to yourself "Yeah, that makes sense".

A slick professional video sometimes can be a hindrance.  This project and the videos about the project are very unique.  They are not like all the other technical media you see these days.  That video that Ryan made, was both honest and sincere.  What he talked about was technically brilliant and outstanding.  

I believe we appreciate the honesty of this project and wouldn't be served much by a slate of Hollywood production type videos.  ProcessWire sells itself.  It's growing and getting better every month.

• Like 6

Ryan's video where he explained what ProcessWire consists of, is in my humble opinion, the best introduction I had ever seen.  I have been surprised that some of his other videos didn't have spoken text, because he is very good at explaining things.  The Skyscraper demo had me hooked.

I agree, Ryan has a very nice way of explaining things from what I see in written form. I see this all the time in the forums. What I would really like to see is Ryan write a Processwire book

I think in general PW could benefit from upping the marketing anti a bit, but not too much!

I think that a Processwire book would go a long way as far as marketing goes and introducing more people to Processwire.

Even though the forum provides me with most answers that I need regarding Processwire, I would still be one of the first in line to purchase a book if Ryan wrote one.

I think that if a book was written that the use of Processwire would explode.

I can't remember exactly how I found processwire but I remember it was love at first sight.

• Like 3

I Googled "alternative to _____" - I can't remember which bloated CMS I put in that line but that's about as useful as Joomla/Wordpress/Drupal has ever been for me.  I had been sick of these CMS's for quite some time and PW instantly became a breath of fresh air.  PW is great, but this forum is also incredibly inviting and polite which made making my mind up an even easier thing to do.  Reading through the explanations and posts of one member helping another made me realize that there was something different (besides being awesome to use) about PW.  Thank you Ryan and contributors!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I was trying to get a PHP dev job for creating a CMS type app with wordpress so I did a bunch of google searches to learn more. (I develop in a Java web framework) After googleing about PHP frameworks I came across Laravel which seemed promising. Then as I googled more about CMS and wordpress and laravel some how I came across PW. It seemed like a nice platform to start one and maybe I would integrate a framework into it, but soon I found that it's really all you need to create cool web apps!

• Like 3

In a nutshell, I moved away from other systems and started using Bolt, due to its custom content-type-driven system. There are some features that Bolt lacks, some of which are not planned to be implemented as yet. Specifically I was interested in a hierarchy set-up, with content-types.

That's when I stumbled into ProcessWire (not for the first time, I might add - I had seen it before, but the styling turned me off for some reason). When I did, I saw a new website, and an amazing admin-theme, which won me over pretty darn quickly.

My first site in PW is for a Cameroon-based company, called AEG & Partners. For my first attempt, I'm quite proud. It was really easy to put together, and very straight-forward when it come to building custom modules.

Glad to say that, at this point, I won't be looking back. :)

Edit: Oh, and Ryan, I did pop an email through with regards to the showcase link - it doesn't have a thumbnail... Was my image incorrectly sized?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

the fist time I heard about PW, it was by following a simple link on a blog, and it could probably change quite many things with my next client projects.

As I started doing web design and dev' somewhere around 1994, I walked through some CMS's and PHP frameworks along the way. My last CMS of choice is (and almost was) ExpressionEngine but since the first versions of EE2 there's noting new or better, just more expensive 3rd party modules adding up to the license and more.

Actually, i'm considering migrating two EE websites to PW, and starting a fresh install for a client project I'm actually working on. For later, on, once I'll dig more into the source, I'll test some UX ideas locally for the Admin part to see.

Oh, yep, indeed I'm Andrei, web dev/design/market'er based in southern France, and glad to be here ;)

• Like 10

I had been looking for CMS alternatives for a few months, I had been doing work primarily on Wordpress but only with already made templates, later, for custom design needs, I discovered Perch which I was quite excited to see how well it worked and how easy it was to set up a site with it, but the license fee made it less attractive as it did impact my costs of production (I normally do small websites).  But I did love this thing, simple websites, simple admin, just the right amount of things to edit, everything managed through Pages (though not in tree form). Though, I did had a hard time getting used to their weird way of configuring field types (which looked like you were making a template, so I got confused between templating and configuration now an then)

I then went to Kirby, flat-file CMS, also a very neat CMS, though I didn't like much the admin panel, I did like that it was pure files, so my local version of sites were pushed really easily, galleries options weren't as neat as in Perch and had no comments system for blogs. Then again, the license fee kicked in. Start looking again...

This is when I came up with Bolt, Pico, Grav CouchCMS, etc.  But nope, nothing at least comparable to Perch in simplicity, (or some don't have admin panel) If I remember I think Bolt did call to my attention but when I tried it it had this "bloggy" feel to it, similar to Wordpress, that ended up not convincing me.

Then I was making a website for a friend's to be released comic book and I wanted to mimic what is done on manga sites, volume, chapter and page navigation dropdowns and stuff, then again same old story, look for a Wordpress plugin, found out that the best option wasn't exactly what I had expected and then again, doing Wordpress themes always looked like such a pain, so I that didn't even bother. Started looking again...even found a dedicated CMS for comics, that didn't really fit my needs.

In this now long search for a perfect CMS, I stumbled upon CMS Critic while looking for reviews website, and saw they had an award thing going on, so I decided to check top places. "Well well, who do we have here Mr.Processwho-No-1-OpenSource-CMS?". Started reading the docs, saw the examples, looked awesome, so I decided to put it inside a website.

Clean urls, everything custom fields, repeaters, multilanguage out of the box, extendable, a kick ass API....YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!

The rest is history my friends, Processwire has brought the happiness to my web development career as nothing had ever done. I believe in this project and it's community, it's gonna be awesome, nuff said!

• Like 17

I heard first time from Mar also as 
MadeMyDay here in the Forum. He was some kind of mentor for me for MODx. 
Even though I was sometimes annoying, he always had an answer via Twitter or Forum :D 

So i worked one or two years with MODx.
After I noticed that he is on a new CMS called processwire i had start to  read about it. 

It took some time to understand this. 

But now Im in love with PW :) 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I found about processwire when in search of a new CMS for my sites.

Mainly there were articles in blogs that made me curious. I found it difficult at first ... wasn't used to the freedom the system gives me. Yes it's a freedom to have fields and templates for whatever you like. But coming from other cmses one is not used to having that freedom. In most cms you're told what to do where and how. Processwire is different. Also ... the many tutorials are very helpful, the API docs , the forum. Though I didn't need to ask questions here myself up to now I found answers for all the problems that arose while working.

Putting it together: I feel comfortable here and hope to make some more sites with it.

• Like 8

I got talked out of using Wordpress for doing a site for our startup by one of our partners.

He had used PW before on a personal project of his.

I come from a Enterprise Dev background, so learning all the nuances about Web Development as a "beginner" plus having to learn a CMS that required more work than other CMS seemed like a tall order. Tight Deadlines did no favours.

Looking back, I'm glad I got talked out of it  :) 

One thing that worried me in the beginning was the apparent lack of plug-ins for Processwire as compared to WP.

But realised now quality > quantity. 

And a great dev community to boot.

• Like 10

Hello,

honestly that was my first concern,too. But I quickly realised how easily things can be put together without needing a module for this, another one for the next task and so on. In PW I can do almost everything using my templates. Makes me independent from 3rd party module developers once there are upgrades. I expect things won't break that much when PW is upgraded to a new version. Glad I found PW!

• Like 6

I used to use ExpressionEngine years years ago. Had several commercial licenses. They began to decline and I foresaw the inevitable crash, so I bailed and began looking for a new CMS.

I found many CMS sites listing Drumlapress and other popular titles. Those that offered online Demos, I demoed. Those that offered downloads, I downloaded, installed and tested. I graded them based on their docs, community, back-end, ease of installation, ease of use, etc.

But nothing lured me much more than ProcessWire.

As they say, "the rest is history".

• Like 5