Processwire or Custom Application

Jonathan Dart

Hi Guys,

We're taking on a project that my instincts tell me should be built as a custom application rather than on processwire, but maybe you can prove me wrong. I'll try to boil it down to the most relevant parts.

This website will have 2 roles of interest:

• "Mini site" operators
    • They will have predefined pages they can manage, photo albums, event calendars, and blog posts. They will not be able to edit content from other mini sites or the god user's content. They will also be able to add arbitrary subpages to one of the predefined pages. 
  • A "God" user that can manage the mini sites, and create content just like from the mini sites, but for the main site.

My biggest concern is that I don't know of a way of restricting the processwire admin to only allowing the mini site operators to manage their own content. If you could control the root page shown in the admin to be something other than the real homepage, that could work but I have a feeling things could get hairy.

What do you guys think? Does processwire sounds like a good fit for this project? Have you tackled a "portal" site like this before?

Thanks,

Jonathan

I'm nearly done with a site that has a very similar setup. It is definitely possible. The module linked above works well. In my case each mini-site admin can see the other sites, but doesn't have edit privs.

If you had to hide the other sites, you could probably hide the main page tree and create a custom admin page that showed a truncated page tree starting at the top level page the mini site admin is allowed to edit.

• Like 3