Error 503 when saving a page

Nico Knoll

Hey,

for some reason a client of mine gets an error 503 "Service Temporarily Unavailable" when she tries to save a page. Saving templates and fields, etc. works like it should be...

It's only when trying to save a page or empty the bin...

Any idea?

Greets,

Nico

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely something with mod_security. Try creating a template that has nothing but a 'title' field, then create a page using that template and save. I'm guessing that'll work, because the POST has no HTML in it. Some hosts using mod_security just aren't friendly with rich text editors, especially multiple instances on the same submission. You'll want to ask your host how to disable mod_security. 

• Like 1

Same answer as before. :) Saving a template does not include a $_POST variable with embedded HTML, so it's not going to trigger mod_security. Mod_security doesn't like $_POST or $_GET variables with embedded HTML, especially more than one of them (like body and sidebar). Basically your web host has to disable that aspect of mod_security, as it is definitely not CMS friendly. You may also be able to resolve it by making sure you have not more than 1 field with HTML in it (i.e. just a "body" field). This is not uncommon, because WordPress typically only has 1 HTML field present, so some hosts configure their mod security to allow 1 through and not more. Personally though, I would not use a web host placing this kind of restriction unless the hosting is free. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Just yesterday I ran into a similar problem.

Saving the page didn't work at all. Hat to update some content (15 000+ characters) on a page.
All in a regular textarea field without any min/max content settings.

The result of saving the page was...

1. console log error

Resource interpreted as Document but transferred with MIME type application/x-httpd-php

2. file download of a file named Download with this in it.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>503 Service Unavailable</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Service Unavailable</h1>
<p>The server is temporarily unable to service your
request due to maintenance downtime or capacity
problems. Please try again later.</p>
</body></html>

Couldn't figure out why this happened and still happens.

Tried the exact same on different servers/instances (Dev/Stage/Live) of that site with the result:

• Dev - a local Laragon instance: works
  • Stage - US Shared Hosting: works
  • Live - DE Shared Hosting: breaks

Same ProcessWire and module versions across all instances.

Seems to be a server/hosting thing.