Multi-environment Config?

AJ Troxell

I have searched the forums and PW documentation and can't find anything on this topic. Is there a config someone has implemented for using PW in multiple environments? I'm using Git with DeployHQ to deploy changes and would like a config that will detect which environment the site is on thusly loading the appropriate DB details.

This is sort-of built in to ProcessWire already on a basic level.

If you make a copy of your config.php file called config-dev.php, then that one will take priority over config.php. Just ignore the -dev version in DeployHQ settings, or add it to .gitignore so it doesn't even get committed - up to you.

As long as config-dev.php on your local system has your local settings in, and your config.php is treated as your live version, it should be fine :)

• Like 4

Not at the moment, that I know of.

One way you could do this, is to reduce your config.php down to some detection code, make different copies of your configs for different environments, and then just include the relevant one.

if (strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], '.local') !== FALSE)
	require('config.local.php');

if (strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], 'staging.') !== FALSE)
	require('config.staging.php');

if ( ! defined('ENVIRONMENT'))
	require('config.production.php');

I haven't tested that, but I don't think ProcessWire does weird things with config.php so it should work. Give it a go :)

When the need is there for separate DB configurations and something more than config-dev.php, I've done it like this in my /site/config.php file: 

switch($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']) {
  case 'localhost':
    // set database settings for localhost
    break;
  case 'dev.domain.com':
    // set database settings for staging server
    break;
  default: 
    // set database settings for production server
}

You should give preference to SERVER_NAME in this case (over HTTP_HOST) just because HTTP_HOST is coming from the client rather than the server (open to tampering). Though it doesn't really matter as long as your last "default" condition assumes the production server. 

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Robin S
      If your module has a lot of config fields you might want to divide them into groups inside a tabbed interface. Here is a demonstration module showing how this can be done.
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/ModuleConfigTabs

Thanks to @kixe for providing my starting point in this forum topic.
    • By jploch
      Hey folks,
      Iam working on a module that extends InputfieldPageTable. I use PageTableExtended as a starting point and all went well so far, except I can't access my config values outside of the module file. The config values allways return the defaults, and not the values in the pw field settings. 

Here is the code that sets the defaults inside my inputfield module file:
      public function init() { parent::init(); // defaults $this->set('gridMaxWidth', '1600'); $this->set('gridColumns', '12'); } Here is how I add the config field:
      public function ___getConfigInputfields() { $inputfields = parent::___getConfigInputfields(); $fieldsetGrid = $this->modules->get('InputfieldFieldset'); $fieldsetGrid->label = $this->_('Default Grid Settings'); $f = $this->wire('modules')->get('InputfieldText'); $f->attr('name', 'gridMaxWidth'); $f->attr('value', $this->gridMaxWidth); $f->label = $this->_('Container max width'); $f->description = $this->_('Grid container max width in px'); // page name format description $f->notes = $this->_('default is 1600'); // page name format notes $fieldsetGrid->append($f); $inputfields->append($fieldsetGrid); return $inputfields; } Accessing the values outside my module files like this (this gives me the default: 1600, even if I insert another value in the backend field settings):
      $default = $this->wire('modules')->get('InputfieldPageGrid'); $default->gridMaxWidth; Any Ideas?
    • By Rodd
      Hi everyone!
      I have a website in a production environment and I want to duplicate it in a local environment. I exported the content of the website (with the 'Site Profile Exporter' module) but I cannot use it actually. I've got an issue with the database. I imported this one in MAMP then.

I also exported the pages (with the 'ProcessPagesExportImport' module), but I cannot import it to my local website because the fields don't exist. So I created this fields, but I have this error :
      How can I use the elements that already exist and are presents in my database? How can I duplicate correctly the templates, fields and pages?
      Thanks by advance
      PS: Sorry if my english is bad

• By Ivan Gretsky
      Most of us know and use site/config-dev.php file. If present, it is used instead of site/config.php, so it is easy to set database connection and debug mode for local development, not touching the production config. It is also very useful when working with git. You can simply ignore it in the .gitignore file, so local settings won’t end up in the repo.
      But sometimes you need to add code to site/ready.php or site/init.php just for the dev environment. For example, to add ryan’s super cool on demand images mirrorer. I can’t live without it when working with big sites, which have more assets then I want to download to my desktop.
      It would be great if there was something like site/ready-dev.php for this. Not out-of-the-box, but it’s pretty easy to achieve. Unlike site/config-dev.php, site/ready.php is not hardcoded. It’s name is set with a special config setting:
      // wire/config.php $config->statusFiles = array( 'boot' => '', 'initBefore' => '', 'init' => 'init.php', 'readyBefore' => '', 'ready' => 'ready.php', 'readySite' => '', 'readyAdmin' => '', 'render' => '', 'download' => '', 'finished' => 'finished.php', 'failed' => '', ); As you can see, we can not only define, which files are loaded on init, ready and finished runtime states, but probably even add more if we need to.
      So we override this setting in site/config-dev.php like this:
      // site/config-dev.php // Change ready.php to ready-dev.php $temp = $config->statusFiles; $temp['ready'] = 'ready-dev.php'; $config->statusFiles = $temp; For some reason we can’t just do
      $config->statusFiles['ready'] = 'ready-dev.php'; and have to override the whole array. Maybe you PHP gurus can explain this in the comments.
      Now we can create the site/ready-dev.php file and place all the dev-only code there. Important thing is to include the main site/ready.php.
      // site/ready-dev.php include 'ready.php'; // DEV HOOK TO MIRROR ASSETS ON DEMAND $wire->addHookAfter('Pagefile::url, Pagefile::filename', function($event) { $config = $event->wire('config'); $file = $event->return; if($event->method == 'url') { // convert url to disk path $file = $config->paths->root . substr($file, strlen($config->urls->root)); } if(!file_exists($file)) { // download file from source if it doesn't exist here $src = 'https://mysite.com/site/assets/files/'; $url = str_replace($config->paths->files, $src, $file); $http = new WireHttp(); try { $http->download($url, $file); } catch (\Exception $e) { bd($file, "Missing file"); } } }); Do not forget to replace "mysite.com" if you’re copypasting this))
      Now, add the newly created file to the `.gitignore` and we’re done.

# .gitignore # Ignore dev files site/config-dev.php site/ready-dev.php Thanks for reading!

• By Peter Knight
      Hi all
      My .htaccess file is correctly redirecting all requests to
      https:// www. That's great until I want to work locally.
      I thought I had seen a blog post by Ryan where there was a new config setting to ignore both of these if working from localhost?
      I can't find it now so wondering if I was imagining 😕