Website localization

Krase

Guys, this aspect has tormented me in the past couple of weeks and I just want to hear more opinions. What is your approach towards translating websites, themes or apps? I have recently discovered this tool: https://poeditor.com which sort of seems to me more human than the other mainstream crowd translation tools and I've been using its API and exploring its functions. I;m sure that translators really feel at home when working in a helpful interface. However, I still find proofreading a problem... What do you think?

• Like 1

I really like the idea of that site/tool, but I would still worry that a crowdsourced translation might not be accurate.

It's weird though, as I've been working on a multi-language site recently (soon to be launched!) and would feel happy to receive translation help from our German members on the forums here, but I sort of feel like I know them more than a stranger translating my content from afar if you know what I mean? I don't know them that well, but there's a level of trust here between members - it's a nice feeling :)

On the other side of the coin, you can always run a crowdsourced translation back through Google Translate and check that the message is generally the same. This doesn't always work with technical terms, but definitely helps to reassure you that nobody's dropped in any swear words or anything malicious.

I think there might be times I would use the website you linked to, but they would be for community/group projects where it's a small team and they can't afford the translation service or don't have the skills in-house. For all other sites I would pretty much always recommend a professional service as there's some sort of Service Level Agreement in place so you have someone to shout at work things through with in a short space of time if the translation is wrong :)

• Like 1