I'm getting "destinationPath is not writable"

landitus

More fallout from 'rights' problems - Modules Manager is not able to update the first two Modules I tried it with. Had various "cannot write" errors which I fixed with judicious use of 777 and all errors now gone. But still modules report as not being latest and updating them (from Modules Manager at least) just does nothing.

FTPing: for me the *only* fly in the PW ointment. I must attract flies :/

• 2 years later...

I'm going through this problem on my end as well.

The Dolce Vita website uses multisite to manage multiple malls under the same PW installation. Now I separated 3 malls to a second installation, basically just downloaded the whole site into my computer, cleaned up, and re-uploaded to a new hosting. Now editing a page I get this error in every image field.

Setting permissions to 777 seems to work, but leaving it like that scares me.

Seems apache is unable to write over files/folders created by FTP upload. Any way to get around that without nuking the whole thing?

@heldercervantes

Depends very much on the server setup. Sometimes files/folders are owned by the Apache process, but when you upload via FTP they are owned by your FTP account. One way to sometimes get around this is to upload files via cPanel or whatever rather than FTP.

Perhaps your hosting company can chown (change owner) all the site files for you.

• Like 1

My hosting provider says they've ran the chown command and that didn't fix it, so... McGyver time!

I just duplicated the whole "site" folder with php. I took this script and slapped it in a php file, then temporarily changed public_html permissions to 777 and ran the script copying "site" to "siteB". Every file and folder in siteB got the correct owner/group. Turned permissions on the root folder back to 750 and renamed "siteB" to "site". Done.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...