Create Templates *.php in admin section

daerias

I don't see any advantage in creating PHP in a browser. Can't remember how may times I pressed tab in a browser when I was editing inline on MODX sites. Or how many times spellchecking didn't like my function names and put spaces between it. etc. etc.

I really prefer mounting a FTP disk or work local with a text editor of my choice. Mainly that's Sublime, or sometimes BBedit for heavy text manipulation.

Ryan did a great Job with Hanna Code. (If I can avoid Hanna Code i will) But even with the nice ACE editor inside, I will use a text editor & paste the results back.

• Like 5

Greetings,

I agree with Martijn -- and pete. At first, screen-based template work might seem nice, but I think it actually disorganizes your development effort.

With an IDE and an FTP app open, it's easy and fast (and formatted better) to edit and save several PHP files at a time, moving from one to the next for fixing or updating lots of parts of a project. Also, you can have your style sheets, general code snippets, and more right there in one place.

Thanks,

Matthew

@martijn, renobird, matthew -

here's a question - i have a site using layerslider which has tons of configuration options for each slide; it would be hard to provide those various settings as fields;

i tried using Ace code editor for the client so they can make changes to the images and text, but in one of the slides i'm pulling data from processwire pages and need to use php...

so i abandoned the idea of using the ace editor for now, but wondering if there is a way to do this currently in a simple way... maybe enable hanna code textformatter in the ace editor and then make a hanna code for the various things that need php...

@martijn - cool, yeah i've done some similar things like that, but your suggestion is really good for having all the settings for each slide layer in it's own little textarea;

each slide is a page and then i could use a repeater for each slide layer and then have a text box for style attributes which control the animation...

still doesn't really solve the putting of php directly into the editor though... i've seen plugins for other cms that enable one to put php into text area, one that i remember using a lot was sourcerer from nonumber.nl

• Like 1