Adminbar

apeisa

Off-topic: I'm currently working on new UX / UI design for PW administration – it's quite well thought out, brings some new stuff, some 'nice-somebody-thought-of-this' moments and nice design too, however, I have so much work [some of it will be brought back to PW though!] that I can't do everything at once!

Sounds great! Please let me know if you think I could help.

You did put it in /site/modules/ not /wire/modules/ ?

You need to create /site/modules/, it's not part of the default site..

Ok now it works...but why you put the module in site instead of wire? I think it's not a good thing especially for updating PW i need to remember to keep this folder

I'm cool, I did the UI, remember? :D

Nah, J/K ;D I'm calm now

Update: I'm just playing with code: I have latest /wire, modules.php applied, but showModal and initCollapsed still return empty string, no matter what the option really is. Trying to find out.

Update: I just read the rest of this thread again, I'm an idiot, and I will wait with all changes, until Ryan repairs the modules code.

I just tried out AdminBar and it works great! I love it.

It seems like there is a need to have a save button that doesn't need to be scrolled to. Can buttons be added to the modal window? Or, I was thinking I should just add it to ProcessPageEdit (right next to the page ID at the top right), as it would be useful with or without the AdminBar.

I'm working on the Modules.php update/fix right now and should have it posted to the master branch shortly.

Nice work with AdminBar!!

The Modules configuration stuff is fixed, and I also added some optimizations to the Modules loader while I was at it. Grab the latest master and upgrade before proceeding with the following.

For AdminBar.module here is what I would recommend. Add a getDefaultData() function to the AdminBar class to store your defaults. This isn't part of a PW2 interface, this is just for your use, but it prevents you from having to name the defaults twice.

<?php

/**
* Default configuration for our module
* The point of putting this in it's own function is so that you don't have to specify
* these defaults more than once. 
* However, there is no requirement for you to do this (it was just my preferred style).
* If you preferred, you could just check $this->showModal and if it was null, then you
* would know it had not yet been configured (and likewise for the other vars). 
*/
static public function getDefaultData() {
return array(
	'showModal' => 1,
	'initCollapsed' => 0,
	'administration' => wire('config')->adminRootPageID
	);
}

Now setup your constructor to populate that default configuration data in your class. You want to do this just in case your module is running "unconfigured" (i.e. the admin has never gone in and tried to make any settings).

<?php
/**
* Populate the default config data
* ProcessWire will automatically overwrite it with anything the user has specifically configured.
* This is done in construct() rather than init() because ProcessWire populates config data after
* construct(), but before init().
*/
public function __construct() {
foreach(self::getDefaultData() as $key => $value) {
	$this->$key = $value;
}
}

Next is your function that handles the config data. I changed it so that it pulls the defaults from that function we added above. Also, the checkbox fields need a value, so I just set that as "1". That's the value that gets used if it's checked. Lastly, since we're using HTML5 with XHTML tags, I set the 'checked' attribute to have a value of 'checked' rather than boolean true. Not sure that it matters, but this seems to be XHTML syntax best practice.

<?php
static public function getModuleConfigInputfields(array $data) {

// this is a container for fields, basically like a fieldset
$fields = new InputfieldWrapper();

// since this is a static function, we can't use $this->modules, so get them from the global wire() function
$modules = wire('modules');

// Populate $data with the default config, because if they've never configured this module before,
// the $data provided to this function will be empty. Or, if you add new config items in a new version,
// $data won't have it until they configure it. Best bet is to merge defaults with custom, where
// custom overwrites the defaults (array_merge). 
$data = array_merge(self::getDefaultData(), $data);

// showModal field
$field = $modules->get("InputfieldCheckbox");
$field->name = "showModal";
$field->label = "Show modal box?";
$field->description = "Whether edit opens modal box or goes to administration.";
$field->value = 1; // providing a "checked" value for the checkbox is necessary
$field->attr('checked', empty($data['showModal']) ? '' : 'checked');
$fields->add($field);

// initCollapsed field
$field = $modules->get("InputfieldCheckbox");
$field->name = "initCollapsed";
$field->label = "Init collapsed?";
$field->value = 1;
$field->attr('checked', empty($data['initCollapsed']) ? '' : 'checked');
$fields->add($field);

// administration field
$field = $modules->get("InputfieldPageListSelect");
$field->name = "administration";
$field->label = "Where to go after clicking on 'administration'";
$field->value = $data['administration'];
$fields->add($field);

return $fields;
}

Lastly, your pageRender() method is currently checking $this->showModal with an isset() function. That's not going to be the right approach here because it's always going to be set once it's configured (it will be set with a value of either 0 or 1). So the thing to do is:

<?php
if($this->showModal) {
    // draw the modal link
} else {
   // draw the regular link
}

...and likewise with any other configuration options. None of the configuration options will ever be unset since in this class instance we're now setting them in the constructor. I tested it here using your module, and all appears to work from this end. Let me know how this works for you. I'm really enjoying using this module!

Thanks Ryan! Looks solid.

I have been cleaning the code, commenting and added "new page", "view pages" and "hide" functionality. "View pages" is just a link to admin now, but new page works perfectly in modal now. Hide simply hides the AdminBar, so editor can see how others will see the page (in some resolutions / layouts that could be good thing). I just test a little bit more, add more comments, make settings work and then push new version to GitHub. Stay tuned :)

Adam will love it when you are working with images on rte-editor. You have modal on top of the modal ;) (ok, we will have option for modal). But the best part actually is that it works very smoothly (at least on webkit browser) and it's not confusing at all.

Tried tried it out, and it's looking good! Only thing I noticed is that in your getModuleConfigInputfields function, you need to add "$field->value = 1;" to both showModal and initCollapsed, so that there is a value for the checkbox when it is checked.

Also, in your README.txt I recommend a note to tell people that they need to name the module dir "AdminBar". This reason is that if you download the ZIP from GitHub, it's named apeisa-AdminBar-39820zvosomethingorother.zip, and when you it extract it, the dir has that name as well... so I had to rename that dir to be AdminBar in order to get it to work (ProcessWire requires that the dir and module name are the same, though maybe I should change that).

Seems on github, that you uploaded Readme.text only?

And that was right... used svn magic on git...

It was lamest release ever, but now it should be working.

Ryan: Probably best way to bundle this is like this

/AdminBar/

readme.txt

I refactor soon.

Ok, there is a bug now (just noticed). If you first click "Edit page" and after that "New page" then it won't work. I made it so that we do not reload iFrame or manipulate DOM everytime we click edit button. But I have to check for iFrame state and reload iFrame on cases where we switch action.

Or easy solution: refresh page when we go off modal... I thought that it could be nice feature to be able to start editing -> view original site -> continue editing -> save. Dunno.

I think guys it could be a nice thing to remove the "view" link from the edit page, it creates a sort of  loop if someone click everytime this link...

True, I will work on this next.

EDIT: Now "view" link is hidden

It seems like there is a need to have a save button that doesn't need to be scrolled to. Can buttons be added to the modal window? Or, I was thinking I should just add it to ProcessPageEdit (right next to the page ID at the top right), as it would be useful with or without the AdminBar.

Also true. I would actually like it on real admin view also - there is many times scrolling involved, even when updating title only. Please let me know if you implement this on admin, so I do not re-create it on modal.

@Ryan – Do NOT change the need to have the directory name same as module name – it sort of enforces unique names for modules and it's a good way to go

Although, I hope we won't end in situation with modules like [APL_AdminBarPluseEnhanced] :D

maybe some rule to have directories named author-moduleName or something like that (so the author's name/code won't polute the names in administration?]

@apeisa:

– good thing with that view link

Also fixed the problem when changing between add / edit modals.

I think we have now pretty stable version, so please let me know if there is some problems. Only known issues are UI issues in IE (all versions).

Congrats to you guys on writing the first 3rd party ProcessWire module! I've added a Modules section on the download page. This will be built out more in the future, but just wanted to get something there for now.

Congrats to you guys on writing the first 3rd party ProcessWire module! I've added a Modules section on the download page. This will be built out more in the future, but just wanted to get something there for now.

To be honest: you probably wrote more code than we did :) So thank you and congrats to you also!

apeisa: if you can, please note any UI errors you find into README: tomorrow or day after when I'll have time, I'll repair everything. Thank you very much!

I will.

Congratulations indeed! Great work guys... :)