Adminbar

apeisa

Update 31.7.2019: AdminBar is now maintained by @teppo. Modules directory entry has been updated, as well as the "grab the code" link below.

Latest screencast: http://www.screencas...73-ab3ba1fea30c

Grab the code: https://github.com/teppokoivula/AdminBar

I put this Adminbar thingy (from here: http://processwire.c...topic,50.0.html) to modules section and to it's own topic.

I recorded quick and messy screencast (really, my first screencast ever) to show what I have made so far. You can see it from here: http://www.screencas...18-1bc0d49841b4

When the modal goes off, I click on the "dark side". I make it so fast on screencast, so it might seem a little bit confusing. Current way is, that you can edit, go back to see the site (without saving anything), continue editing and save. After that you still have the edit window, but if you click "dark side" after saving, then the whole page will be reloaded and you see new edits live.

I am not sure if that is best way: there are some strengths in this thinking, but it is probably better that after saving there shouldn't be a possibility to continue editing. It might confuse because then if you make edits, click on dark side -> *page refresh* -> You lose your edits.

When I get my "starting module" from Ryan, I will turn this into real module. Now I had to make some little tweaks to ProcessPageEdit.module (to keep modal after form submits). These probably won't hurt anything:

if($this->redirectUrl) $this->session->redirect($this->redirectUrl);
if(!empty($_GET['modal'])) $this->session->redirect("./?id={$this->page->id}&modal=true"); // NEW LINE
else $this->session->redirect("./?id={$this->page->id}");

and...

if(!empty($_GET['modal'])) {
$form->attr('action', './?id=' . $this->id . '&modal=true');
} else {
$form->attr('action', './?id=' . $this->id); // OLD LINE
}

Edited by teppo
Added a note about the new maintainer and updated GitHub repository URL.

Awesome screencast! This looks incredibly useful, so cool to see.

I'm limited on time for the moment, so just wanted to quickly follow up with the starter module. When I made this, I wasn't thinking about the admin side of it, where you edited ProcessPageEdit.module. I need to take a closer look tomorrow and update the starter module code to hook into that too. But here is something to get started. It's actually very short, but I loaded it with comments that I thought would help, so it looks a lot longer than it actually is. :)

Place this in: /site/modules/AdminBar/AdminBar.module

<?php

class AdminBar extends WireData implements Module {

/**                             
         * This is where you define some basic info about your module. 
         * See /wire/core/Module.php for definitions of all these.
         */                     
        public static function getModuleInfo() {
                return array(
                        'title' => 'Admin Bar',
                        'summary' => '[summary of your module], by apeisa',
                        'href' => 'http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,56.0.html',
                        'version' => 100, 
                        'permanent' => false,
                        'autoload' => true,
                        'singular' => true, 
                        );
        }               

/**                     
         * Initialize the module and setup hooks
         * The init method of a module is called right after ProcessWire is bootstrapped, when all
         * API vars are ready. Whereas the __construct() is called DURING bootstrap, so the init() 
         * method is a better place to attach hooks to API vars. 
         * In this method, we'll use an 'after' hook since we want to modify the output of the 
         * rendered page template. 
         * Note also that the 'Class::method' syntax means it hooks into ALL Page instances. 
         * The syntax for hooking to a single instance would be: 
         * $page->addHookAfter('render', $this, 'pageRender');
         * Also note that there isn't actually a Page::render method, it was instead added by 
         * another module (wire/modules/PageRender.module). Not that it matters here, but just 
         * wanted to mention in case you look in the Page class and don't see a render method.
         */
        public function init() { 
                $this->addHookAfter('Page::render', $this, "pageRender");
        }

/**
         * Hook called when a page is rendered
         * The method name used here does not matter, it just has to be consistent with the name you provided 
         * when creating the hook. 
         * This method is given an $event object of type HookEvent. To see what's in that, see this file: 
         * /wire/core/HookEvent.php (it's very short and simple)
         */             
        public function pageRender($event) {

// $event->object always has the object instance that resulted in this call
                $page = $event->object; 

// if the page isn't editable, or if it's using the admin template, abort. 
                if(!$page->editable() || $page->template == 'admin') return;

// find the location of this module for linking css and js files
                $url = $this->config->urls->AdminBar . "AdminBar";

// the css and js links we're going to add
                $out =  "\n\t<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='$url.css' />" . 
                        "\n\t<script type='text/javascript' src='$url.js'></script>" . 
                        "\n</head>"; 

// modify the value returned by $page->render() to include our css and js files
                $event->return = str_ireplace('</head>', $out, $event->return);
        }
}

Also you will want to create:

/site/modules/AdminBar/AdminBar.css

/site/modules/AdminBar/AdminBar.js

Thanks for what you are doing here, nice work and great screencast! I will work on expanding this starter example.

Ryan, thanks for this! I think I get easily forward.

Probably only thing I need on the admin side is that after submit modal view should stay. And maybe some way to hide form to re-appear after successful save.

Apeisa: if you post the code somewhere I might try to hack it, so after save it closes modal and reloads window.

Or you coould do it. After saving, there could be this code [pseudo code]:

$(document).watch-for('modal.urlChange', function(){
    if (:contains('Saved'))
      window.reload();
  });

•  
  • modal.urlChange – I'm not sure what modal are you using, but it should have some event after contents of modal have changed

• window.reload(); – since after change we check DOM of contents of modal for 'Saved' or anything that shows that page has been saved, we just reload the page – so with one 'Save page' click, it saves page and basically closes modal AND opens saved page with changes.

modal change real code depends on what modal are you using, :contains code depends on what's the real DOM of edit page dialog (or how to identify 'saved page' message) and window.reload() is just a question of looking up the right code.

Apeisa: if you post the code somewhere I might try to hack it, so after save it closes modal and reloads window.

Thanks for advice! I have created simple custom modal. I now track if there is #notices inside the iFrame in modal, and if there is then clicking on "dark side" fires page refresh.

I might just hide the form (with js) if there is #notices -> not sure about that tough. I have to play with different ways. What I want is that user get's clear "Page saved" notice, not just quick refresh. I have few ideas tough, so I just play

If you want user notice, that page saved was why not:

• Add hook to save, so it sets in session [if saving from modal] that $last_saved_id = $page->id
  • Save in modal
  • Close modal / or just:
  • Reload
  • hook on page load – if $page->id = $last_saved_id; show 'Saved OK' message, else delete session information, because something happened [user moved away?]

Everything is just a matter of will :)

Apeisa: Let me know if that module skeleton worked for you. It occurred to me last night that it might not work unless you are running a very recent version of PW2. If not, make sure you have the latest (I added upgrade instructions to the FAQ section in the forum).

Apeisa: Let me know if that module skeleton worked for you.

I upgraded to latest master and tried this skeleton. It gives me error "Field 'data' doesn't have a default value" and install stops. Any clues?

Strange... Can you confirm that this is the error that you when when clicking the "install" button in the Modules section? This sounds like a MySQL error. Can you tell me what version you are running? Also, I am preparing an updated /wire/core/Modules.php for you, but just wanted to confirm about when the error occurs.

Thanks,

Ryan

Looking in the code, the error actually makes sense, and I located what the problem was right away. What I don't understand is why it's never turned up before. But I am glad you found it, because it does appear to be a bug in PW2's module installer.

You'll want to update your /wire/core/Modules.php:

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/commit/4cf59bb7ea49a0d6449361285c177c0dd93182bd#diff-0

Or here is the full file:

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/raw/4cf59bb7ea49a0d6449361285c177c0dd93182bd/wire/core/Modules.php

Wow. It was very easy to port from basic include to a module. Only thing I needed to change was put $page->id ==> $this->page->id and $config->urls->admin ==> $this->config->urls->admin

I actually have pretty solid module here :)

I put those css and js files just before </head> just like in Ryan's skeleton module. I also put html needed by Admin Bar right before </body>.

Now only few things missing:

1) Keeping admin in modal view after saving a page

2) Or closing admin and notifying user in some other way that page was saved

3) Better name for this child. Front-end editor? Front-end admin? Quick Edit?

(actually there is millions of ideas how I wanna improve this one, but I think after those three things this is solid enough for others to test)

That was fast! Glad it's working. For the next step (keeping it modal), I pushed a couple updates to GitHub today to aid in doing that (made a few more things hookable). So make sure you've got the latest commit.

Now we want to hook into a couple more things to modify the form URL and redirect URL, like you did by editing ProcessPageEdit, but we want to do it in a way that doesn't require changing anything in the core. So here is the full skeleton module code from before, but with the addition of two new hooks. Note that I didn't add as many comments to the new stuff, because I have to go pick up my daughter from school, so please reply with any questions:

<?php

class AdminBar extends WireData implements Module {

/**
         * This is where you define some basic info about your module. 
         * See /wire/core/Module.php for definitions of all these.
         */
        public static function getModuleInfo() {
                return array(
                        'title' => 'Admin Bar',
                        'summary' => '[summary of your module], by apeisa',
                        'href' => 'http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,56.0.html',
                        'version' => 100,
                        'permanent' => false,
                        'autoload' => true,
                        'singular' => true,
                        );
        }

/**
         * Initialize the module and setup hooks
         * The init method of a module is called right after ProcessWire is bootstrapped, when all
         * API vars are ready. Whereas the __construct() is called DURING bootstrap, so the init() 
         * method is a better place to attach hooks to API vars. 
         * In this method, we'll use an 'after' hook since we want to modify the output of the 
         * rendered page template.
         * Note also that the 'Class::method' syntax means it hooks into ALL Page instances. 
         * The syntax for hooking to a single instance would be: 
         * $page->addHookAfter('render', $this, 'pageRender');
         * Also note that there isn't actually a Page::render method, it was instead added by 
         * another module (wire/modules/PageRender.module). Not that it matters here, but just 
         * wanted to mention in case you look in the Page class and don't see a render method.
         */
        public function init() {

// modify the output of a page render, adding some markup to support the adminbar
                $this->addHookAfter('Page::render', $this, 'pageRender');

// hook before forms are rendered, so that we can modify the form's "action" attribute
                $this->addHookBefore('InputfieldForm::render', $this, 'formRender');

// hook before a redirect occurs, os we can modify the redirect URL
                $this->session->addHookBefore('redirect', $this, 'sessionRedirect');
        }

/**
         * Hook called when a page is rendered
         * The method name used here does not matter, it just has to be consistent with the name you provided 
         * when creating the hook. 
         * This method is given an $event object of type HookEvent. To see what's in that, see this file: 
         * /wire/core/HookEvent.php (it's very short and simple)
         */
        public function pageRender($event) {

// $event->object always has the object instance that resulted in this call
                $page = $event->object;

// if the page isn't editable, or if it's using the admin template, abort. 
                if(!$page->editable() || $page->template == 'admin') return;

// find the location of this module for linking css and js files
                $url = $this->config->urls->AdminBar . "AdminBar";

// the css and js links we're going to add
                $out =  "\n\t<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='$url.css' />" .
                        "\n\t<script type='text/javascript' src='$url.js'></script>" .
                        "\n</head>";

// modify the value returned by $page->render() to include our css and js files
                $event->return = str_ireplace('</head>', $out, $event->return);
        }

/**
         * Hook to take place before forms are rendered
         * We check if there is a 'modal' get var set, and if so, we add it to the form's action attribute
         */
        public function formRender($event) {
                if(!$this->input->get->modal) return;
                $form = $event->object;
                $action = $form->attr('action');
                $action .= (strpos($action, '?') !== false ? '&' : '?') . "modal=1";
                $form->attr('action', $action);
        }

/**
         * Hook to take place right before a redirect occurs
         * We intercept the redirect URL and modify it to add 'modal=1' to the query string
         */
        public function sessionRedirect($event) {
                if(!$this->page || $this->page->template != 'admin') return;
                if(!$this->input->get->modal) return;
                $url = $event->arguments(0);
                if(preg_match('/[?&]modal=/', $url)) return;
                $url .= (count($this->input->get) ? '&' : '?') . "modal=1";
                $event->arguments(0, $url);
        }
}

Lastly, I should probably have the core look for a modal attribute and keep it going when it finds it (because this has use elsewhere), but I thought this was a really good example of how to implement a module, so figured we would start here.

If I may suggest, something like modal editor makes more sense, because front-end anything implies, that that's what you edit. But you merely pushed the administration into modal and added few buttons [though that this statement doesn't make it any less valuable!]

Maybe something like 'modal editor', or 'enhanced inpage user control' [although that's bit strange] :)

If I may suggest, something like modal editor makes more sense, because front-end anything implies, that that's what you edit. But you merely pushed the administration into modal and added few buttons [though that this statement doesn't make it any less valuable!]

That is true - but my plan is to add more "admin" functions here. I am planning few more features like:

• Quick look of the permissions of current page (which roles can edit, view etc)
  • Create a new subpage
  • Show sitemap (maybe?)

So now it is mainly "modal editing", but I do hope that I get most needed admin functions baked in. You are also right that everything that admin bar does is also available from real admin: I have no means to rebuild anything: just to give more convenient (for some people) way to find information & admin functions they need. So maybe best name could be something like "quick admin" or "mini admin". "Enhanced inpage user control" is actually pretty good one (in descriptive means, tough a little bit difficult to remember :))

Not that the name is most important, but I also wanted to share my ideas on this one.

Martin: Thanks! I hope to get this released sooner than later, so you guys can test it.

Adam: very polished and nice looking toolbar there! Do you have some functionality created or just UI design? It would be crazy to create same functionality twice... :)

Although I have to admit that PW seems to make things like this very easy to do. Props to the system!

Just UI – actually, just this quick-bar so far :D [edit, new page, view 'pages']

it's actually for you – if you wish, we can take your code and put it together ;)

so, far, I have two things for you [or me] to do [if you send me the code – or create github repo]:

- setting for initial state: small / expanded

- edit page in: modal / administration :)

I will do both UI/CSS if you wish, or I can send you just PSDs

Adam

Adam: I have to say that I love your UI - super clean. I think fastest could be for now that if you send me a psd. Then when I get first working version with minimal features I will create github repo so you can contribute to coding also - and we can bake those needed options in (initial state / modal).

This is really looking great. As for name, it sounds like you've got a lot of good options. I might suggest something that involves "overlay" just because that term is already familiar to many people with Drupal 7 using it. I also liked the "adminbar" term just because it's so simple and says exactly what it is (could also be something like "editbar"). Probably less technical sounding is better, because a term like "modal" means something to us, but it's far from common language (at least here). But regardless of what name you choose, this is shaping up to be a really cool module.