Adminbar

apeisa

Awesome - thank you @teppo

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but what about a way to choose between edit modes from the AdminBar? Inline Edit vs Admin Edit, or something along those lines. Not sure whether they should be separate buttons, or a dropdown for the alternate (not default) method, or perhaps long-click (although this takes training users so not sure this is a good idea).

I just feel like sometimes you know you will want to edit other pages after this one so it's a shortcut to the admin along with editing the page. 

Maybe it's getting too complex though, so no pressure ?

9 hours ago, adrian said:

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but what about a way to choose between edit modes from the AdminBar? Inline Edit vs Admin Edit, or something along those lines. Not sure whether they should be separate buttons, or a dropdown for the alternate (not default) method, or perhaps long-click (although this takes training users so not sure this is a good idea).?

Just checking that I got this right: do you mean that while the "slide overlay" is enabled and Admin Bar links (such as edit, new, and profile) will normally open the edit view in a "modal" window, there would be some way to open the target URL without the modal instead – going to the "full" admin interface? ?

If so, I can see value in this idea, but I'm not yet sure how to make that happen without messing up the simplicity of the UI or causing potentially confusing side-effects. Take long-click for an example: in my experience it's actually quite common for users to long-click or double-click things by accident (or by habit), so in my opinion (in a web based GUI) it's usually bad UX for these to lead to a different outcome vs. "regular click".

Anyway, I'd be interested in implementing this if there's a way to do it in a sensible way. And please let me know if I've misunderstood your idea ?

• Like 2

@teppo - yep, you have understood exactly what I am suggesting.

I agree - I don't like long click / double click.

Perhaps just a dropdown from the "Edit" link that says "Edit in Admin". But of course the main top-level Edit link would edit in the overlay, so no need to wait for the dropdown to appear when wanting to edit this way. ??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tires said:

My updated theme is attached.

adminbar-tires-responsive2.png.341efdba7d2c5fcda521781b7c29f2c4.png

tires.zip 5.15 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks – this is now included with the latest release, 2.2.1 ?

I made a couple of minor adjustments: in mobile size the dropdown was positioned slightly too far down so there was a gap between the icon in the bar and the dropdown, and the "ul li > a, ul li > strong" CSS rule was changed to ".adminbar__link" in order to avoid unintentionally affecting unrelated lists on the site.

9 hours ago, adrian said:

Perhaps just a dropdown from the "Edit" link that says "Edit in Admin". But of course the main top-level Edit link would edit in the overlay, so no need to wait for the dropdown to appear when wanting to edit this way. ??

I'll have to think about this a bit, not sure yet how it would fit the module. Technically this could be a relatively simple modification: the dropdown feature used for the "user" item applies to any item that has a "children" array, so one option would be adding that for the edit link. Haven't tested this yet, so not entirely sure, but that's one option at least ?

• Like 1

Like to see how the module is growing!

There is a little mistake with the logo in the uikit theme.

And the order of the elements i added to "Items displayed in the admin bar" is not adopting the right way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tires said:

There is a little mistake with the logo in the uikit theme.

Could you clarify this a bit, what kind of mistake are you seeing? So far I haven't noticed anything wrong here, so it might be browser-dependent, or perhaps even site-dependent (Admin Bar is affected by site styles as well, so there's always a chance for that).

Please let me know what browser you're using, how it behaves – and if possible, a screenshot would be really helpful too ?

8 hours ago, tires said:

And the order of the elements i added to "Items displayed in the admin bar" is not adopting the right way.

You mean when you add items via config settings? The order there doesn't actually affect the order of items in the Admin Bar – at least yet. That's something I have on my todo list, but not sure yet when I'll get to it ?

• Like 1

Here is what i see (Firefox, Windows 10):

adminbar-2.2.1.thumb.png.65bf8bc2fae48d01d923f8d85227144f.png

16 hours ago, teppo said:

You mean when you add items via config settings? The order there doesn't actually affect the order of items in the Admin Bar – at least yet. That's something I have on my todo list, but not sure yet when I'll get to it ?

Yes, that is what i meant.
I am looking forward to this feature.

• Like 1

@teppo I just installed the module but noticed all links are anchor tags, which is a bit problematic since these links can be triggered involuntarily by scripts or browsers prefetches. When combined with frontend link preloaders (e.g. InstantClick) or browser prefetching (e.g. Google Chrome Page Prefetch), this results in newly-created orphan pages or mystery logouts. Is there a way the module can be updated to use buttons instead? This would also make it work better with libraries like Turbolinks or Barba.js which intercept link clicks to load them via AJAX and switch out the response body.

I'd gladly create my own theme to do that, but figure this is also a security issue, so it might be best to tackle this at the root level ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, d'Hinnisdaël said:

@teppo I just installed the module but noticed all links are anchor tags, which is a bit problematic since these links can be triggered involuntarily by scripts or browsers prefetches. When combined with frontend link preloaders (e.g. InstantClick) or browser prefetching (e.g. Google Chrome Page Prefetch), this results in newly-created orphan pages or mystery logouts. Is there a way the module can be updated to use buttons instead?

Thanks for the feedback!

Replacing <a> tags with buttons was originally on my list, but I've been pushing it back as there are some additional considerations here:

• There are some "proper links" (such as the admin link) that should remain that way. As such, this wouldn't apply to all links automatically.
  • When the modal ("slide overlay" in module settings) mode is disabled, almost every item should be a regular link – except for browse, which technically shouldn't do anything there, as in that case it's just an indicator of your "current state".
  • Admin Bar should work regardless of JavaScript. This makes it more robust, and as such more accessible.

That last point isn't an argument against using buttons, just something to keep in mind when making changes: everything should remain functional regardless, which could mean links by default (when JS isn't available, or working as expected) and buttons otherwise. Since default styling is now based on BEM, it should make this easier in some respects, though; technically what element is used shouldn't matter anyway.

I don't actually see (m)any notable issues in the current behaviour. None of the built-in Admin Bar features will create any content without user actually submitting a form – and I'd be very surprised if a plugin did that on itself. The logout link is problematic though, you're absolutely right on that one – I've added this on my todo list, but not entirely sure yet how to handle it.

I'm not familiar with Turbolinks, but the way Barba.js usually works is that you define a container, which you then switch with new content. I'm not particularly experienced in this regard, but to my best understanding you wouldn't usually define your entire <body> element as a container, and since AdminBar attempts to place itself as the last element right before </body> closing tag, normally this shouldn't be an issue – though again, this is just based on my (quite likely lacking) understanding of such libraries ?

• Like 2

@teppo Those are some good points.

I agree the admin link itself and the edit link should stay anchor tags. Create, browse and logout, however, aren't semantically speaking links since they potentially have side effects (create, logout) or only trigger module JS (browse).

None of the built-in Admin Bar features will create any content without user actually submitting a form – and I'd be very surprised if a plugin did that on itself.

There is one case that will create pages by merely following a link: when a template is configured to use the »Name format for children« setting in order to skip the page-add step. In that case, a new empty page is created every time the link is opened. I use that setting on most templates, that's probably why I noticed.

The logout link is problematic though, you're absolutely right on that one – I've added this on my todo list, but not entirely sure yet how to handle it.

The logout could be implemented using just a form and a submit button, using the form action for the logout URL. Not sure if ProcessWire currently supports custom redirect URIs after logout or if you might have to hook into the logout process for that.

I'm not familiar with Turbolinks, but the way Barba.js usually works is that you define a container, which you then switch with new content. I'm not particularly experienced in this regard, but to my best understanding you wouldn't usually define your entire <body> element as a container.

Turbolinks in particular switches out the whole body, but the problem here is that since there's no actual reload, stylesheets and scripts stay active on the page, so you mostly need to make sure that you don't cross between frontend and backend with any of these libraries, whatever part of the HTML they switch out.

I've found a hacky solution by canceling any AJAX page visits if the URL matches the ProcessWire admin URL, but that means the frontend code needs to have a 3rd-party backend module in mind, which feels wrong.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, d'Hinnisdaël said:

I agree the admin link itself and the edit link should stay anchor tags. Create, browse and logout, however, aren't semantically speaking links since they potentially have side effects (create, logout) or only trigger module JS (browse).

There is one case that will create pages by merely following a link: when a template is configured to use the »Name format for children« setting in order to skip the page-add step. In that case, a new empty page is created every time the link is opened. I use that setting on most templates, that's probably why I noticed.

The logout could be implemented using just a form and a submit button, using the form action for the logout URL. Not sure if ProcessWire currently supports custom redirect URIs after logout or if you might have to hook into the logout process for that.

You're right that browse isn't really a link – that's definitely one that shouldn't be represented by <a> tag ?

Logout is a border case: technically it can be a link, just like it is right now, but you're right that it probably shouldn't be. On the other hand even changing it to a form isn't, in my opinion, quite enough – it should also provide and validate some sort of nonce/token, just to be sure that it can't be abused. There's no redirect after logout at the moment either, so that's not a major problem. Anyway, I'll figure something out for the next minor release of the module.

Create is one of the cases where a link usually makes sense: it should be a link to the "new page" view in Admin in case the modal mode is disabled or JavaScript is for whatever reason out of equation. That being said, I've almost never used the "name format" option, so I didn't even think of that – that behaviour is indeed problematic and needs to be addressed somehow ?

29 minutes ago, d'Hinnisdaël said:

Turbolinks in particular switches out the whole body, but the problem here is that since there's no actual reload, stylesheets and scripts stay active on the page, so you mostly need to make sure that you don't cross between frontend and backend with any of these libraries, whatever part of the HTML they switch out.

I've found a hacky solution by canceling any AJAX page visits if the URL matches the ProcessWire admin URL, but that means the frontend code needs to have a 3rd-party backend module in mind, which feels wrong.

It just occurred to me that my earlier explanation was flawed ?

If you reload, say, just the <main> element within your <body>, and Admin Bar remains as-is, the links/buttons there will point to the wrong page. As such using such plugins you probably would need to reload Admin Bar as well. I could add support for modifying target/parent IDs with JavaScript, but that would still require extra steps for the developer anyway. Also thought about using URL in this case, but that wouldn't help, as Admin Bar can't know for sure if you're using "real" URLs or some custom format (via URL segments, History API, or something else.)

Currently I'm thinking that an option for reloading / re-rendering Admin Bar via JavaScript might actually be the best option here: in most situations the module would work right out-of-the-box, but if you do use some sort of front-end routing / transition code, you could somehow tell it to update. Not a perfect solution, so any suggestions are welcome.

--

By the way, if – and only if – it turns out that one/some links can't be easily switched to buttons without sacrificing something else, do you know if role="button" would help at all?

I wouldn't use that unless I really have to (reinventing <button> with ARIA attributes is almost always just plain dumb), but this might be one of those cases where it's actually the most sensible approach – it would be an improvement in terms of accessibility, but I've no idea if it would help with preload/prefetch/etc. features ?

• Like 1

Currently I'm thinking that an option for reloading / re-rendering Admin Bar via JavaScript might actually be the best option here: in most situations the module would work right out-of-the-box, but if you do use some sort of front-end routing / transition code, you could somehow tell it to update. Not a perfect solution, so any suggestions are welcome.

You're right in that it's nearly impossible to tell which page to edit just from the URL. I think the only reliable way of getting the correct edit link is to render the admin bar server-side using wire('page'). No need to make it overly complex, I guess, by going the JS route. If somebody decides to do partial content replacement in their frontend, I feel like that's just something they have to take care of themselves by including the admin bar in the list of replaceable containers.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like my case applies to that rule as well. If I want the links to force a full reload instead of a replacement, I need to configure my frontend accordingly.

My only remaining gripe is probably the logout button that shouldn't be an anchor ?

By the way, if – and only if – it turns out that one/some links can't be easily switched to buttons without sacrificing something else, do you know if role="button" would help at all?

As far as I know, it wouldn't make a difference since most libraries don't care too much about accessibility and tend to define their own cancellation methods (data-no-turbolinks="true", etc.).

• Like 1

First off all... I stumbled across this by accident and didn't follow the whole conversation... more or less... but as far as I understand the Adminbar (module) is only available to those who are logged in. So why bother with any libraries, browser extensions and such that (in most cases) only apply to those who aren't logged in?

There are many modules that behave differently when compared to logged in users and guests.

Sorry if I miss an important point here!

9 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

First off all... I stumbled across this by accident and didn't follow the whole conversation... more or less... but as far as I understand the Adminbar (module) is only available to those who are logged in. So why bother with any libraries, browser extensions and such that (in most cases) only apply to those who aren't logged in?

You're correct that AdminBar only applies to users who are logged in. There's no "guest user" when it comes to AdminBar – only superusers and users with the "adminbar" permission will see anything out of the ordinary. Regardless, since AdminBar outputs features visible on the front-end, it's very much connected with everything else happening there.

What you're missing here is that being logged in won't disable those browser extensions or nullify the effects of third party libraries – so it's not true that those features would only apply to users who aren't logged in. As such, it's very important that admin bar is as "tolerant" as possible, so that it won't break or cause new problems if you decide to implement a new JavaScript library on your site (or enable a browser feature/plugin).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning!

AdminBar 2.3.0 was just released. Here's the changelog for this version:

## [2.3.0] - 2019-08-29

### Added
- Gravatar image support for the "user" item in Admin Bar.
- Support for sorting Admin Bar items manually with the AsmSelect field in module config.
- A changelog file.

### Changed
- Protect logout link from accidental clicks (script or otherwise) by converting simple link to a logout form.
- When modal window is opened, hide children and view tabs with CSS first in order to prevent flashing content.

Due to the manual sorting feature mentioned above there was a change in the data structure, so note that if you're already running AdminBar and have modified the visible items in the bar, you'll need to reconfigure those. This was the easiest way I could figure out to achieve free sorting feature:

233472490_Screenshot2019-08-29at7_30_12.thumb.png.49d1f7522ffd39cb954bbfc6f2c32dde.png

Minor note: currently it's possible to add the same item to both left and right columns. I didn't see a reason to specifically prevent this, so it's kind of a feature – though not sure if that's something you should ever do from a UI/UX perspective ?

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

AdminBar 2.4.0 is out and adds support for the "data-adminbar-adjust" attribute. The idea here is to automatically modify (or adjust) certain CSS properties whenever the height of the Admin Bar is recalculated. Note: AdminBar already automatically adds "padding-top: [Admin Bar height in px]" to the <html> element, so this feature mainly applies to elements with "position: fixed".

Assuming that Admin Bar is displayed and is 100px tall at the moment, the following markup...

<div data-adminbar-adjust="top max-height"></div>

... would result in this:

<div style="top: 100px; max-height: calc(100% - 100px);" data-adminbar-adjust="top max-height"></div>

Thanks to @Fokke for the idea ?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This module is great!
It would be nice if there was an option to stay on the edit view after saving a page. Currently the module redirects to the browse view.
I had some clients complaining about the redirect as they have to edit long pages and save a lot and than have to constantly click edit again..

• Like 1

I found a bug when using this module on a page with a repeater matrix field.
After adding a new page from the adminbar, the module redirects to the repeater page that lives under admin->repeaters->repeater-field-name->page instead of the real parent page. A message is shown "This page has no process assigned". However the page gets created under the correct parent page. So just the redirect is wrong. This only happens with the modal option.
Can someone confirm this?

• 7 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 8:21 PM, jploch said:

It would be nice if there was an option to stay on the edit view after saving a page. Currently the module redirects to the browse view.
I had some clients complaining about the redirect as they have to edit long pages and save a lot and than have to constantly click edit again..

I realise that this is a rather old request, but I've just added a config setting for this. It's available as of AdminBar 2.5.0 ?

On 10/8/2019 at 1:24 PM, jploch said:

I found a bug when using this module on a page with a repeater matrix field.
After adding a new page from the adminbar, the module redirects to the repeater page that lives under admin->repeaters->repeater-field-name->page instead of the real parent page. A message is shown "This page has no process assigned". However the page gets created under the correct parent page. So just the redirect is wrong. This only happens with the modal option.
Can someone confirm this?

So far I've been unable to reproduce this issue. There's a check for RepeaterPage, in which case it should be skipped for this sort of purpose, and since RepeaterMatrixPage extends RepeaterPage that should kick in here as well. Please let me know if this still occurs, though, and I'll be happy to take a closer look!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks for a great module.

Perhaps this is out of the scope for this module, but I will mention it anyway. I think it would be great addition to this module, if it were possible to add any page from the page-tree to the left or right column in the admin-bar. One use-case for this could be to give the user access to some settings-page (e.g. a settings-factory page).

Thanks!

Hey @eydun! While this could indeed be a potential addition at some point (not making any promises, but will keep this in mind), it's also already doable with a bit of code: if you hook after getItems(), you can add new items to the returned array ?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey @B3ta — thanks for the suggestion. Just to confirm: are you talking about a feature that would clear the built-in template cache for current page, or perhaps the entire site — or something else entirely?

This sounds like a useful option, but there are a few variables here, such as whether one uses the native template cache or ProCache, and whether this option should clear cache for all pages or just current page. As such, I'm not yet sure if this could/should be added as a built-in feature to the module.