Adminbar

apeisa

4 minutes ago, adrian said:

@tires - I like the new look!

Just in case you missed it, are you using @teppo's fork: https://github.com/teppokoivula/AdminBar which fixes a couple of critical bugs in the original.

It works in Teppos fork as well.

Just for me to understand, what if i install the module via the backend?
Will the files from the bugfixed fork be download or the old files from Apeisa?

1 minute ago, tires said:

It works in Teppos fork as well.

Just for me to understand, what if i install the module via the backend?
Will the files from the bugfixed fork be download or the old files from Apeisa?

The modules directory is still pointing to the original. I actually thought that the original didn't work at all with recent version of PW.

This is an area that I think PW really needs to work on - there are several forks which are critical updates, but are not really linked to anywhere official.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adrian said:

The modules directory is still pointing to the original. I actually thought that the original didn't work at all with recent version of PW.

This is an area that I think PW really needs to work on - there are several forks which are critical updates, but are not really linked to anywhere official. 

Oh! Thats a real problem and could be an security issue as well! ?

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I want to edit child pages via edit links from the parent page.
I tried to add this code on the parent page

if($page->editable()) echo "<a href='/backend/page/edit/?id=".$childpage->id."&modal=1'>edit</a>";

Unfortunately the <ul id='adminbar'> ... don't load on the parent page.

What can i do?

I just have simple edit link somewhere in site. I have found that as best solution for clients. I also never allow front end editing and keep client using admin as much as possible. 

45 minutes ago, apeisa said:

Happy to move maintain of this module for @teppoif he is interested? I haven't had use for AdminBar in years.

No idea how to transfer this on module director, anyone? 

That'd be fine with me. To be honest I've been meaning to fork it (under a new name) and take the concept a bit further – mostly visual / UI stuff, really ?

If you edit the modules directory entry you can change URLs and the "forum name of the author". Might be enough in the short term? Anything other than that probably requires help from Ryan.

I haven't been using this module much on my own projects either. For client sites I've been in the habit of always setting it up, though the modal / dropdown editing thingy is usually disabled. Basically it's just a simple way to provide necessary edit/add/profile/logout links (which should be there in the front-end anyway). Sure, I could add those links to some template file, but why bother when there's already a module for that ?

• Like 1

Guys - I can transfer the entry in the modules directory to @teppo if you want. Or if you're planning on creating a new version with a different name, maybe it's a new module in the directory? Let me know if you want me to make any changes.

BTW - I am not a fan of frontend editing tools in general, but this one I actually don't mind providing for the right site - sometimes even for frontend only users. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, adrian said:

Guys - I can transfer the entry in the modules directory to @teppo if you want. Or if you're planning on creating a new version with a different name, maybe it's a new module in the directory? Let me know if you want me to make any changes.

I think trasferring it to me would be best, whatever this means in practice ?

I'd rather keep the current name if it's an option. No need to confuse folks by new forks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates for AdminBar in the latest release (1.1.0):

• Got rid of the jQuery dependency. Not a big deal, but that's still one setting and one dependency less. As a result the module probably won't work as expected in IE < 11, so if someone is still stuck with ancient browsers, it's better to stay with version 1.0.7 (tagged in the GitHub repository).
  • Some minor optimisations and tweaks here and there. Nothing major, really.

Just tested @tiress styles, and they seem to still work as expected, so most custom themes are likely unaffected ?

For the record, I'm thinking of releasing a 2.0.0 of this module pretty soon. This would be a breaking change, and require ProcessWire 3.x, PHP 7.x, etc. I'm also thinking of moving custom styles out of the module directory so that the whole directory can be safely removed during updates.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 12:57 PM, Ivan Gretsky said:

Maybe edit the 1st post of this thread too?

Added a note about new maintainer to the top of the first post, and updated the "grab the code" link. Might make some sense to rewrite the first post altogether, but the forum doesn't (as far as I know) allow replacing it, so creating a new support thread might make sense as well ?

• Like 2

AdminBar 2.0.1 released:

• Plenty of updates behind the scenes. So far "end user" functionality remains largely the same, though.
  • New options for hooking – decent support for modifying generated output and adding all-new links and other features programmatically.
  • Extended theming support: the module now comes with three built-in themes ("original", "tires" per the theme submitted earlier by @tires, and "uikit"). Uikit is an adapted version of the top bar in admin, and it's now the default theme for the module. Each theme may include its own settings (Uikit, for an example, allows displaying/hiding some or all of its icons and the ProcessWire mark).
  • Custom theme support is still there, but requires a few modifications: custom theme needs to be selected via module config screen, you need to provide a directory where theme files live, and this directory has to contain (at least) a theme.css file (but optionally also theme.js for custom JS, theme.php for hooks, and config.php for custom module config settings).

Oh, and the module is installable via Composer now – just run "composer require teppokoivula/admin-bar" in your sites root directory, or the /site/ directory.

New requirements for 2.0.1 are ProcessWire >= 3.0.112 and PHP >= 7.1.0. For earlier version of ProcessWire or PHP, use release 1.1.5 (this version won't be updated anymore, but should work in ancient version of PW and PHP).

Below is a screenshot of the "Uikit" theme in action on the Wireframe website. In this case I've disabled the icons from the left side of the Admin Bar – by default each action there would have its own icon as well.

adminbar-2.0.1.jpg.1828df544627e593880b85cd60325181.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It's great to see new life breathed into this module - thanks @teppo. Two things I added to one installation of mine was the ability to edit the user's profile and the other was to restrict them to only be able to edit pages that they have created. Would you consider adding those features?

One other thought - I am a bit confused by "browse" vs the old "view" - browse to me suggests browsing through multiple pages, rather than viewing the current one which is what this link does. What do you think?

• Like 3

Thanks, @adrian. I've been using this module for a long time, and it has actually been quite fun to work on it ?

58 minutes ago, adrian said:

Two things I added to one installation of mine was the ability to edit the user's profile and the other was to restrict them to only be able to edit pages that they have created. Would you consider adding those features?

A profile edit button seems like a good idea. That was on my list for a while actually, but I wanted to get 2.x out sooner rather than later, so had to leave that for a later release ?

I think we'll also need a "select enabled links/features" option to avoid too much clutter. On many (most) of the sites I've built this feature, for an example, profile edit feature wouldn't have been particularly useful – users often edit their profiles really, really rarely – so I'd like to leave it to superusers to figure out which features are necessary.

(Could also make the feature selection configurable per user, if there's demand for such a feature.)

Restricting editable pages to ones the user has created seems to me like a relatively specific need – at least I haven't personally come across a project where this would've been particularly useful. As such, my initial view is that this might be best implemented as a per-site customisation. Unless, of course, I'm wrong and it's actually a commonly needed feature, in which case it may make sense to add a setting for it ?

Note that one key point about the hooks I've added is that it's now quite easy to customise what is displayed in the Admin Bar, and how. One example of this is what I've done with the "Uikit" theme, where I've added icons to existing items, and also the PW logo/mark as a new item. If you hook into AdminBar::getItems, you can easily modify the list, and – for an example – only show the edit link under specific circumstances. (And if this is a feature you require often, you can always bundle this, and any other modifications, into a separate module.)

By the way, I'm assuming that this would actually be just about displaying the edit link – not modifying permissions? Modifying permissions would, in my opinion, definitely belong to another module.

58 minutes ago, adrian said:

One other thought - I am a bit confused by "browse" vs the old "view" - browse to me suggests browsing through multiple pages, rather than viewing the current one which is what this link does. What do you think?

As far as I can tell, this item has been "Browse" since the beginning – at least for the past 8 years or so, according to GitHub ?

I'm slightly hesitant to change what I consider established terminology. Also, I don't personally see the problem: technically what this item being active means is that you're currently browsing the site. Kind of like "browse mode" vs. "edit mode". When you're in admin and want to view a specific page, "view" is indeed better word, but in this context I actually prefer "browse".

Again it's quite simple to modify this with a hook, of course, but I think I'd rather stick with current terminology for the default state.

• Like 3

Hey @teppo - firstly, sorry about the View / Browse thing - looks like I changed that on my copy a long time ago and didn't remember it was originally "browse". If it's easily hookable, that's great.

In regards to limiting edit to only pages the user has created - this is probably not a common use scenario - on the main site for me that uses AdminBar, I actually don't give users access to the admin at all - I use AdminBar as an easy (and powerful) way for them to create and edit content on the frontend. This is also the reason for having a profile edit button here because they can't actually access the one in the admin. And yes, showing the edit link only if they have created the page is only a "displaying the link" change, it's not actually affecting their permissions, but perhaps now that we have the "page-edit-created" permission, I should be using that anyway, rather than the hack I currently have in place on this old site.

20 hours ago, adrian said:

Hey @teppo - firstly, sorry about the View / Browse thing - looks like I changed that on my copy a long time ago and didn't remember it was originally "browse". If it's easily hookable, that's great.

Yeah, this should be an easy one. You can hook before or after AdminBar::getItems: either modify $args['strings'] before it gets passed to the method, or modify the resulting array of items before it is put to use ?

20 hours ago, adrian said:

In regards to limiting edit to only pages the user has created - this is probably not a common use scenario - on the main site for me that uses AdminBar, I actually don't give users access to the admin at all - I use AdminBar as an easy (and powerful) way for them to create and edit content on the frontend. This is also the reason for having a profile edit button here because they can't actually access the one in the admin. And yes, showing the edit link only if they have created the page is only a "displaying the link" change, it's not actually affecting their permissions, but perhaps now that we have the "page-edit-created" permission, I should be using that anyway, rather than the hack I currently have in place on this old site.

Makes sense. I would definitely take a route that affects actual permissions. Since AdminBar checks Page::editable() before displaying the edit link, if this was done using permissions, I believe it should just work out of the box, i.e. the edit link shouldn't display at all ?

• Like 2

Thanks for taking on this module @teppo.

A couple of minor styling observations with the Uikit theme...

2019-08-03_101357.png.a9c48faae6fe65c69b268a45ad17837a.png

The spacing around the buttons is a little inconsistent. And to my eye the triangle that indicates the active button feels like it's off-centre, because the icon feels like it is separate to the word rather than them both making up a single visual unit. So for the Uikit theme I'd be inclined to centre the active marker on the word alone rather on icon + word.

For pages where some buttons are not available...

2019-08-03_101710.png.abf3926c66c2ef9a7746603dfc2f1dc5.png

When "Edit" is not available the button text changes (the full stop looks out of place here), but when "New" is not available the button text is gone but the icon remains. Not sure but maybe unavailable buttons should not render at all?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, teppo said:

Yeah, this should be an easy one. You can hook before or after AdminBar::getItems: either modify $args['strings'] before it gets passed to the method, or modify the resulting array of items after before it is put to use ?

Just in case anyone else is interested, this does the job nicely!

$this->addHookBefore('AdminBar::getItems', function($event) {
    $args = $event->arguments[0];
    $args['strings']['browse'] = 'View';
    $event->setArgument(0, $args);
});

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Robin S said:

2019-08-03_101357.png.a9c48faae6fe65c69b268a45ad17837a.png

The spacing around the buttons is a little inconsistent. And to my eye the triangle that indicates the active button feels like it's off-centre, because the icon feels like it is separate to the word rather than them both making up a single visual unit. So for the Uikit theme I'd be inclined to centre the active marker on the word alone rather on icon + word.

Thanks for pointing these out. Latest release (2.1.0) includes improvements to spacings and the position of the triangle. Just for the record, the positioning is of the triangle was actually intended to be consistent with Admin Theme Uikit, where it's also off-centre, but I've now centered it in Admin Bar anyway ?

10 hours ago, Robin S said:

For pages where some buttons are not available...

2019-08-03_101710.png.abf3926c66c2ef9a7746603dfc2f1dc5.png

When "Edit" is not available the button text changes (the full stop looks out of place here), but when "New" is not available the button text is gone but the icon remains. Not sure but maybe unavailable buttons should not render at all?

In 2.1.0 the problem with "add new" button has been fixed. My initial idea was indeed to leave these buttons out if they have no purpose, but opted to leave them as-is, because that's how it's always been. For the same reason I was slightly hesitant to remove the full stop: this change will break existing translations. I've now done it anyway, since it's a relatively small thing.

Note that 2.1.0 is actually bigger update than I anticipated. Class names have changed a bit, all themes had to be updated slightly, there's new JS, layout is now based on flexbox instead of floats, etc. So far things seem to work as expected (better than before), but let me know if there are any new issues ?

• Like 5

Hey folks! Just released AdminBar 2.2.0. Here's what's new:

• New module config settings for selecting items displayed in the Admin Bar.
  • New items, disabled/hidden by default: "profile" (simple profile edit link) and "user" (basically the same concept as the profile edit dropdown menu in Admin).
    • If "user" is displayed, there's a config setting for items displayed under it as well.
  • New hookable method ___getData(). The returned array is converted to an object and stored as JSON (data-adminbar) on the Admin Bar element. This was mainly added for future JS features, but can be used by themes etc. as well.
    • Hookable methods and their primary purposes are now also documented in the README.md file.
  • Quite a bit of code was rewritten – again. I've been splitting some methods to smaller ones to improve maintainability, fixing small issues, improving accessibility to some degree (still needs a lot of work though), etc. Hopefully didn't cause too many new problems in the process... ?

Here's a screenshot with new items enabled, though one probably wouldn't want to enable profile and user (and all the user dropdown items) at the same time – and yes, my user name on this site is "admin", so it looks a bit silly when there's an "admin" link before and below it as well ?

adminbar-2-2-0.jpg.d364137b1c6a1f495bff091f0cea567a.jpg

---

On 8/7/2019 at 2:42 AM, tires said:

I added some improvements to my theme and a little responsive part too.
Maybe you would like to add the new css to the module.

Thanks! This will be the next item on my list ?

• Like 6