rachel

Unknown MySQL server host

I FINALLY found where my DB Port information was under "system variables" from the phpmyadmin home page, but I can't get the correct information as far as the DB host goes.

I have tried nearly everything, from "localhost" to the listing under "hostname" also listed in the variables, and then finally I was getting an error message saying something about a "socket", so I found a listing for "socket from the system variables and that, TOO, didn't work.

I created the database correctly, named the dang thing correctly, I KNOW I put in the correct password... Nothing seems to be working.

I wanted to use ProcessWire because it was suppoosed to be a fast easy and light alternative to Wordpress. I'm builidng my own template and it's gonna be a mostly static site... I just wanted to throw it up on the web while streamlining it enough for some changes to content every once and awhile... But this is not fitting the bill.

Welcome to the forums, rachel!

Your problem sounds as if it is more related to the way your hosting is set up, rather than PW. Normally, when installing PW the default values 'just work'.

Tell us a bit more about who you are hosting with, or are you installing locally? What exact error messages are you getting?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums and to PW rachel. If you provide the details DaveP asked for it will help us figure out what's going on and try to help you. Can you take a screenshot of the page where you're getting stuck and post it here?

You mentioned WordPress. Have you installed it before on this same server with no issues?

• Like 1

I am hosted at ipage.com... I have no idea why it is interacting badly... Listen, honestly, it seems like Processwire is just as heavy as Wordpress... I honestly wanted a barebones CMS... and I don't think this is it - especially since I don't even think I'm gonna be changing it enough to warrant a database, which - as you can see - is not my strong point.

Anyway, meantime, I can't seem to upload an image in these forums, so no screen grab... but the text when I use "localserver" looks like this: " AND ":

"Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)" AND "Database connection information did not work." AND

When I pick up the "hostname" from the MySQL system variables, it looks like this:

"Can't connect to MySQL server on 'boscustsqlm44.eigbox.net' (111)" AND "Database connection information did not work." AND

Last because there was something about "socket" I also went in and found something out about "socket"... Then it looks like:

"Unknown MySQL server host '/var/mysql/ipg47/mysql.sock' (1)" AND "Database connection information did not work.

@rachel: I'm sorry you've had a rough experience so far.

First of all, ProcessWire is in many ways "lighter" than WordPress, but it's purpose and philosophy are entirely different. Having said that, based on your description your current needs may not even justify using a CMS.. or perhaps you might be better off with something designed to be, first and foremost, super simple.

Don't get me wrong; ProcessWire is definitely simple and easy to use for developers, designers and end users, but it's primary goal is still being extendable and customizable, giving developers a lot of control over how things are presented and managed without making things complicated for end users. To summarize this: ProcessWire isn't necessarily what you're looking for.

Regarding the issue here, it sounds like you've got wrong credentials for your database. This doesn't sound like a ProcessWire issue. I'd suggest that you submit a support request to your hosting company, providing them the same db information you've supplied to ProcessWire during installation and asking what could've gone wrong. I'm sure they'll be able to help you with this.

Again, I'm sorry to hear how badly things have worked for you and hope you'll get proper answers from your hosting company.

• Like 1

I agree with Teppo re submitting a support ticket to your hosting company to get the database information you need.  I don't really know much about ipage.com hosting, so I can't speak to whether it meets Processwire installation requirements. If you can't check it yourself I would send them the link to this page http://processwire.com/about/requirements/ and confirm that the hosting they have you on does meet those requirements. That said, Processwire runs on pretty much most standard hosting, so this is likely more a problem of database credentials being wrong as you've said.  I did a little bit of googling and it looks like ipage do name their database servers in a very specific way.  Try using yourusername.ipagemysql.com as the hostname and see if that helps.

Have you tried installing PW on your local test server (WAMP, XAMPP, MAMP, etc) if you have one?

• Like 1

I am hosted at ipage.com... I have no idea why it is interacting badly... Listen, honestly, it seems like Processwire is just as heavy as Wordpress... I honestly wanted a barebones CMS... and I don't think this is it - especially since I don't even think I'm gonna be changing it enough to warrant a database, which - as you can see - is not my strong point.

Anyway, meantime, I can't seem to upload an image in these forums, so no screen grab... but the text when I use "localserver" looks like this: " AND ":

https://drupal.org/node/1367802

With "localserver" you probably mean "localhost"?

You've never installed ProcessWire and think that it is as heavy as Wordpress? Please ;)

Try install it locally first. And maybe change the hosting, because google tells that other OS systems have problems too with ipage (see drupal link).

Cheers

• Like 1