Custom Upload Names

adrian

This module allows you to automatically rename file (including image) uploads according to a configurable format

This module lets you define as many rules as you need to determine how uploaded files will be named and you can have different rules for different pages, templates, fields, and file extensions, or one rule for all uploads. Renaming works for files uploaded via the admin interface and also via the API, including images added from remote URLs.

Github: https://github.com/adrianbj/CustomUploadNames

Modules Directory: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-custom-upload-names/

Renaming Rules

• The module config allows you to set an unlimited number of Rename Rules.
  • You can define rules to specific fields, templates, pages, and file extensions.
  • If a rule option is left blank, the rule with be applied to all fields/templates/pages/extensions.
  • Leave Filename Format blank to prevent renaming for a specific field/template/page combo, overriding a more general rule.
  • Rules are processed in order, so put more specific rules before more general ones. You can drag to change the order of rules as needed.
  • The following variables can be used in the filename format: $page, $template, $field, and $file. For some of these (eg. $field->description), if they haven't been filled out and saved prior to uploading the image, renaming won't occur on upload, but will happen on page save (could be an issue if image has already been inserted into RTE/HTML field before page save). Some examples:
    • $page->title
    • mysite-{$template->name}-images
    • $field->label
    • $file->description
    • {$page->name}-{$file->filesize}-kb
    • prefix-[Y-m-d_H-i-s]-suffix (anything inside square brackets is is considered to be a PHP date format for the current date/time)
    • randstring[n] (where n is the number of characters you want in the string)
    • ### (custom number mask, eg. 001 if more than one image with same name on a page. This is an enhanced version of the automatic addition of numbers if required)
  • If 'Rename on Save' is checked files will be renamed again each time a page is saved (admin or front-end via API). WARNING: this setting will break any direct links to the old filename, which is particularly relevant for images inserted into RTE/HTML fields.
  • The Filename Format can be defined using plain text and PW $page variable, for example: mysite-{$page->path}
  • You can preserve the uploaded filename for certain rules. This will allow you to set a general renaming rule for your entire site, but then add a rule for a specific page/template/field that does not rename the uploaded file. Just simply build the rule, but leave the Filename Format field empty.
  • You can specify an optional character limit (to nearest whole word) for the length of the filename - useful if you are using $page->path, $path->name etc and have very long page names - eg. news articles, publication titles etc.

NOTE - if you are using ProcessWire's webp features, be sure to use the useSrcExt because if you have jpg and png files on the same page and your rename rules result in the same name, you need to maintain the src extension so they are kept as separate files.

$config->webpOptions = array(
    'useSrcExt' => false, // Use source file extension in webp filename? (file.jpg.webp rather than file.webp)
);

Acknowledgments

The module config settings make use of code from Pete's EmailToPage module and the renaming function is based on this code from Ryan: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/3299-ability-to-define-convention-for-image-and-file-upload-names/?p=32623 (also see this post for his thoughts on file renaming and why it is the lazy way out - worth a read before deciding to use this module). 

NOTE:

This should not be needed on most sites, but I work with lots of sites that host PDFs and photos/vectors that are available for download and I have always renamed the files on upload because clients will often upload files with horrible meaningless filenames like:

Final ReportV6 web version for John Feb 23.PDF

post-985-0-03753500-1392939647_thumb.png

• Like 14

Just pushed a new version to Github that supports setting a filename length limit (to nearest whole word) for the length of the filename - useful if you are using 

$page->path, $path->name etc 

and have very long page names - eg. news articles, publication titles etc. The final filename will be truncated to this length if set.

I have also added support for jquery 'on' as well as 'live' depending on what is available.

I have one thing I'd like to sort out before releasing this if anyone has any ideas. I can't seem to get dynamically added (click "Add another rule") ASM fields to properly initialize. The:

<select class="asmSelect" name="asmSelect2" id="asmSelect2">

is not being setup, so the fields just looks like a standard html multi-select field until the config settings page gets saved, then it works fine. I am wondering if there is an easy way to fix this. I haven't looked through things thoroughly yet, but it seems weird that the InputfieldPageListSelectMultiple field is working properly.

Any ideas?

I have the ASM fields now mostly working (works almost every time a new rule is added, but not 100% for some reason). I resorted to a setTimeout to wait until the select form elements are created. I feel like there should be a better way to do this, but it is something I always struggle with a little in jquery. I have used this function in the past: https://gist.github.com/aziz/3792797 but I still think there should be a better way. Anyone?

• Like 2

Great job Adrian!

Very useful, and works well with CropImage module also.

Two notice when there are no rules:

Notice: Undefined index: ruleData in .../site/modules/CustomUploadNames/ProcessCustomUploadNames.module on line 249
Notice: Undefined index: filenameLength in .../site/modules/CustomUploadNames/ProcessCustomUploadNames.module on line 264

And.. something to fix with new admin themes.

Hi maba, 

Thanks for the positive feedback and picking up on those errors. Only catch is that line 249 doesn't refer to ruleData, so I am wondering if you are running the latest version (0.0.8). Can you please check again with the latest version and let me know what, if any messages you get. I don't get any notices show up at all.

Did you mean to attach a screenshot regarding the fix for the new admin theme?

Thanks,

Adrian

Hi,

in attach some screenshot about theme issues. Some problem with margin and padding.

You are right, line 249 is not about ruleData, but with last dev and the last module version I catch this warning.

I'll try with a clean PW installation.

New problem: I cannot add rules (see image). Problem with ASM select.

Ooops.. probably you know this issue.

post-846-0-23322000-1384779616_thumb.png

post-846-0-02277500-1384779621_thumb.png

Thanks for the extra details. I know about the layout on the new theme - to be honest I haven't looked at this thoroughly yet as I wanted to make sure Ryan had finalized exactly what classes will be used in the layout of these things. I will definitely keep it on my list of things to tweak though.

As for the ASM issue. It currently seems random - sometimes it works as expected and other times it doesn't work properly. Regardless, you can use the field like a normal multiselect field and it will work fine and be converted to an ASM on save. I will look into this when I have some more time and see if I can solve it more reliably. The key thing is that it shouldn't affect the ability of the module to work until I get it sorted.

Based on your screenshot, I see that you haven't entered anything in the "Filename Format" field. Since the rule can't do anything without this field, this is a required field - the only one of fields which is, and the rule won't save unless it is filled out. 

Can you please try again with that field filled out.

Thanks

I am really sorry you are having trouble with this. I can save multiple rules here no problem. I just pushed a small update to make the format field "required", but obviously that isn't your issue. I am curious if you are having the same problem saving when using other/older themes, and also what browser/OS you are on. Do you get any logged errors, or does the rule just not appear when the page reloads?

Thank you very much for the troubleshooting. I was testing with 2.3.5 and it was working fine. I see that with 2.3.7 the button now has that new id, whereas with 2.3.5, it was the containing <li> that had that id, but the button itself had #Inputfield_submit.

So I just pushed another update that lists both ids, comma separated so it should support old and new versions of PW. 

Thanks again for your help with this and please let me know if you find any other problems!

Can you do me a favor and try changing Line 15 of the .js file from 200 to 500 to see if that helps. The change from 100 to 200 seems to have made it work all the time at my end, but maybe there are other issues. 

EDIT: are you getting any related console errors?

Ok, I have swapped out the timeout approach for a callback, so hopefully that will solve it in a much better way. 

I have pushed this fix to github and the module is also now approved in the modules directory, so you should be able to update much more easily now.

Please let me know if that works now.

• Like 1

Thanks for the bug report. I was really only testing on the latest dev version of PW. I have just pushed a new version to github that seems to work fine with 2.3.

Please test and let me know how you go with it. 

I really should do some more tweaks on the css for this module, but am waiting till PW 2.4 and the new default admin theme are released as stable.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Are you suggesting you'd like two copies of the file then - one with the original name and one with the new custom name? My initial thought on this is that it will be problematic when you go to delete an image, as one version would be left behind. Of course it would be possible to extend the file fieldtype to store the original filename as well and either do a redirect, or keep record of the second version of the file. If two physical files were stored, it could be linked when deleting so both are deleted. I think at the moment these options are beyond the scope of this module. I think it is doable, but I think there might be some further thinking required to make sure there aren't any other complicating issues.

Can you please further explain your usage scenario for wanting to keep the original filename? Maybe that will better help me to figure out the best the approach.