How to find the child of a child?

adinuno

Hi there,

First of all, I am sorry for the spam of small questions, but as they are all very simple and fit for my problems, they can as well fit for someone else's problems too.

I am testing around the $page->children function and I wanted to find all the children inside the children of the page's first child.

It is a bit complicated to explain, but I'll illustrate the situation:

first level

- > second level

- - - > third level

- - - - - - > fourth level

- - - > third level

- - - > third level

If we read this list as a page tree, I want to find the url of each "fourth level" page.

I have tried the most logical yet with no success:

<?php foreach( $page->child->children->children as $children) { ?>
   <h1><?php echo $children->url ?></h1>
<?php } ?>

What am I doing wrong?

In JQuery terms I could navigate through my levels with the $(this).parents()[5] function, but Processwire seems to lack this capability.

Thanks in advance

That "$page->child->children->children" is the issue here; $page->child is a Page, $page->child->children is a PageArray and you can't ask for children of a PageArray.

PageArray contains Pages, each of which has children -- PageArray itself doesn't have children. You'll have to iterate over all contained pages one by one and ask for their children :)

<?php
foreach ($page->child->children as $children) {
    foreach ($children->children as $child) {
        echo "<h1>{$child->url}</h1>";
    }
}
?>

Does this make sense to you?

• Like 3

That "$page->child->children->children" is the issue here; $page->child is a Page, $page->child->children is a PageArray and you can't ask for children of a PageArray.

PageArray contains Pages, each of which has children -- PageArray itself doesn't have children. You'll have to iterate over all contained pages one by one and ask for their children :)

<?php
foreach ($page->child->children as $children) {
    foreach ($children->children as $child) {
        echo "<h1>{$child->url}</h1>";
    }
}
?>

Does this make sense to you?

Yes it does, I actually thought the same way before and tried to do it, but I must've messed up my logic.

That works and is very simple to understand, pure javascript logics.

Thank you very much ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By rjgamer
      Hi,
      is there a hook after the current (active) page got created? Or which method got called in the Page class after the Constructor of the current page got initialized?
      Thanks.

• By rjgamer
      Hi guys,
      the field "redirect_last" of type DateTime got not updated. The update on the field "redirect_counter" works and got saved.
      Does anybody know what I did wrong in my code?
      if ($input->urlSegment(1) === 'redirect') { $page->of(false); $page->redirect_last = time(); $page->redirect_counter += 1; if ($page->save('redirect_counter')) { $session->redirect($page->website_url, 302); } } Thanks.
    • By theoretic
      Hi there! And thanks for Processwire!
      I have an interesting task which i cannot fulfill as i want. Maybe someone could help me please?
      Let's imagine a simple page structure of this kind:
      Category 1
      + Item 1.1
      + Item 1.2
      Category 2
      + Item 2.1
      + Item 2.2
      My task is to attach some items to more than one category, at least to show some items on different frontend category pages. With PW, it's a piece of cake. I've just created a field called Items (of type Page Reference) and attrached it to Category template. Since i have lots of items inside each category i preferred to use Page Autocomplete input for my Items field. The pages available for autocomplete are restricted by a very simple selector:
      template=item
      It works like a charm. But later i decided to make this autocomplete even smarter and to exclude current category children items from it. I tried to update my selector this way...
      template=item,parent!=(page)
      ...and oops, this broke my selector. My autocomplete founds nothing. Sorry, i had to replace the square braces by () because of this forum limitations, i swear i'm using square brackets in real-life selector!
      What am i doing wrong? And is there any way to include current page info in autocomplete-related selectors? Thanks in advance!

• By louisstephens
      So I ran into a very strange issue today. I have a template with a pagetable and I went to add an item to it, when I went to select an image (for an image field) the page instantly threw up an error
      "ProcessPageSearchLive: No search specified"
      The page's content also switched to the image attached. This all worked perfectly last week (local mamp box). Has anyone experienced this before, and how did you solve it?

• By Pip
      Hi everyone, 
      Is there a way for us to replicate the "http://mydomain.com/processwire/page/edit/?id=xxx" and change the template to match my site template? 
      I'm terribly happy with the admin / backend page edit. It covers literaly everything I want to empower my non super admin user in updating pages such as validation, repeater management, file upload. 
      I wish not to allow the users to see the backend for both security and aesthetic reasons. 
      Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.