Image field: image resizing on server problem

Joe

Hi,

I have a peculiar image resizing problem:

I can upload a .jpg with a size of 5.54 MB and with the dimensions 2916 x 2112 no problem, resizing on server works fine.

But an image with only 2.59 MB that has the dimensions 4000 x 3000 causes this error:

Error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 11520 bytes)(line 210 of /mycms/wire/core/ImageSizer.php) 

At first I thought the problem was caused by file size or by the extension being in capitals, but tested and the problem really seems to be the image dimensions. I wonder if it is a Processwire setting or an apache thing (more likely I think). Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

Thank you guys! Well I´ve beefed up my memory_limit to 1024M in php.ini (was at 128M), now I can upload half a dozen of those at the same time...  ;)  ...just as a test. In reality it´s kind of dumb to upload giant images just for them to be re-sized, but I have users who have never used any image manipulation software and just plug in their digital camera...

I wonder where the possible disadvantages might be of upping the memory limit like that, I guess I could set it even higher... (assuming my hosting environment doesn´t prohibit it;-)

• Like 1

In your php.ini file, look for the memory_limit setting and increase that as needed.

I bet if you open those images in photoshop the larger image would use more RAM than the smaller. With jpg's the file size can foul you.