processwire webfont

kixe

Had fun to create a webfont with only one single glyph: Processwire-Logo Unicode-Letter:  (Unicode Block "For Private Use")
I created first an svg with inkscape and created the font-set with http://icomoon.io/app (very nice website!)

Like it, use it, waste it. :rolleyes:

font-package with demo file here:
attachment=1836:processwire_webfont.zip

post-1246-0-84893500-1382359157_thumb.jp

updated 23.11.13
(4 Glyphs: 'processwire', 'process', 'wire' and 'w')
processwire_webfont.zip

• Like 8

Nice!

Would you mind creating three other glyphs? It would be nice having "process" and "wire" as two seperate glyphs as they are often coloured differently. Also the "w" from wire would be a nice addition to do a "picture sign" for navigations.

• Like 3

@all
thanks for the laurels

@felix
this shouldn't be a problem, most of the work is done. But first of all I would like to clear up the rights. I don't know who created the logo respectively who is the owner of the copyright license. Generally I am not in the theme of typefont licensing.
Before I made the post didn't really thougt about that. Maybe somebody could bring some light in this issue ...

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this thread: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/1920-processwire-logos-download/ - Michael van Laar did the vector work for the logo.

I actually don't think there will be a legal problem with making a font of it: As long as you don't alter it to say "mySuperAwsomeOwnCMSWire" it's used as intended (for branding pw instances).

I think the best way to implement this would be ligatures (process and wire) as well as the letter "w". There is an option in iconmoon to do this: you can just upload 3 .svg graphics, select ligatures from the options menu, enter process for the first ligature and wire for the second and there you go (in fact i already did that for my theme yesterday  :)).

• Like 2

I don't know who created the logo respectively who is the owner of the copyright license. 

I made the logo. Its just mahalia and avenir (which I licensed through myfonts.com). Its totally fine with me to have the logo font (i love it!), so long as it's ok with the fonts/license (?). I would think it would be, but maybe somebody else knows more about this. 

I think WillyC is correct on that one. The term "font" means an entire character set. As for the resulting logo: Whether in an SVG, font-set, PNG, GIF, JPG, EPS, etc. the logo is a flat image (whether vector or bitmap). The file format means little. I don't see any difference between a font-set with the PW logo in it and a PNG or EPS file of the logo. 

A logo is a logo, a font is a font. If the logo was created with a licensed font, the owner of the logo can do whatever he wants with it (if it was created with an unlicensed font, it shouldn't exist anyway). Including breaking it in parts and release it as a font. I'm not supporting this by any law, but I'm pretty sure of it based on experience and common sense.

the great thing about having this logo as an icomoon font would be that you could easily change the color and size without having to generate any images, so some sites where the footer is dark, the logo could be light grey or whatever color to match the site...