A really interesting VPS for only 5$. Looks great!

Zahari M.

Hi Guys!

Earlier last week I was asking about Linode here.I was reading up on how to setup a Linode and was going to sign up.

But whilst searching on Google, something caught my eye.... Digital Ocean.

20GB SSD

512MB Memory.

https://www.digitalocean.com/

I signed up and it's been great playing around with my first box! They take paypal and so I just popped in $10 dollars and this will of course let me play for a couple of months. What a perfect way to learn!

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 as this was what diogo suggested to me in the Linode thread and to give you an idea of what resources Digital Ocean offer, I've gotten this great Ubuntu listing link to give you an idea of what you can do / have some hand holding with...

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/community_tags/ubuntu

Screen_Shot_2013_10_04_at_7_09_23_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2013_10_04_at_7_24_23_AM.png

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers guys!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Depends on how you configure your server :)

You could try it right now on lightning.pw, because lightning.pw runs on DigitalOcean machines (LON1 with Ubuntu and Apache).

While this might be not the best provider for all kinds of needs, it is great to get servers running quickly for a small fee. Also the uptime improved a lot.

Depends on how you configure your server :)

You could try it right now on lightning.pw, because lightning.pw runs on DigitalOcean machines (LON1 with Ubuntu and Apache).

While this might be not the best provider for all kinds of needs, it is great to get servers running quickly for a small fee. Also the uptime improved a lot.

LIghtning.pw offerss a tremendous service for us in the community. For that we all THANK YOU :D

But isn't it just for development? Should someone truly host their site on there?!

Just for development. It is also not possible (atm) to use your own domain for example.

But I just want to point out, that all of our services (minimize.pw, lightning.pw, cron.pw, bettereventmanager.com,...) run on DO servers. It is your decision if you want to configure and update your own server or if you want to go the route of "normal", serviced hosting. 

... It is your decision if you want to configure and update your own server or if you want to go the route of "normal", serviced hosting. 

I've had "normal" serviced hosting for over a decade.

I'm eager to try "what's new" and test things out.

I played with Redhat OpenShift for several months, but left recently. It was great fun though. I just like to experiment a LOT!!!

• 3 weeks later...