User Names

BUCKHORN

Is there some reason the user name can't be case insensitive and contain spaces? I want to login with a username like...

"John Doe" or "john doe" interchangeably and I suppose space could be optional too, e.g. "johndoe". And while we are at it, why not also allow users to enter their email address and password instead of just username and password. This seems like a friendlier login system.

The user is actually a page. This makes him/her unique by default. (no need for scripting) 

You could log-in users with their email address, but email address is not unique by default. (it needs some scripting)

I could be: "martijn  (role editor) martijn@domain.nl", but also "admin  (role superuser) martijn@domain.nl"

Search the forum for login with email and you will find good answers. (use google)

• Like 2

And while we are at it, why not also allow users to enter their email address and password instead of just username and password. This seems like a friendlier login system.

I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but it won't fit all needs -- and thus it might not make sense to complicate the built-in login system with it. When it comes to login systems, "friendlier" could also be considered "less secure" -- but that isn't really such a huge issue here, brute force attacks being already pretty unlikely with Session Login Throttle enabled by default etc.  :)

Anyway, you can always roll your own custom login if you prefer something more specific: see this post by Ryan for an example.

• Like 2