Page Field Select Creator

adrian

Hey Joss,

I am personally not a big fan of the Add New button at all - I know it seems like a nice shortcut, but for some reason it just seems more confusing to me than anything. I am sure others love it though :)

Anyway, my point is that even though I don't like it, it is the PW default to have templates appear in here if all the conditions are met, so wouldn't most people expect this behavior and would prefer it wasn't overridden by default?

Maybe it should be another configurable option when setting up a new Page field? I'd add it at the end, below "Allow new pages to be created from field?"

What do you think - does that seem like the best option?

I went ahead and made it an option. By default it is added to the shortcut button, but you have the option to prevent this.

Also made a couple of other minor fixes / tweaks.

Joss - let me know if that works ok for you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is done when you have a template with family setting to have allowed children template. On the children template select the parent template to allow, there will appear a setting to turn off or on if it should add it to the "Add New" button.

• Like 1

This is done when you have a template with family setting to have allowed children template. On the children template select the parent template to allow, there will appear a setting to turn off or on if it should add it to the "Add New" button.

Thanks a lot!  :-)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

can i add chain of child pages using Page Field Select Creator module...like below

Parent 

- Child A

-- child A1

-- child A2

-- child A21

-- child A22

-- child A23

--child A3

- Child B

--child B1

--Child B2

--Child B3

Plz help me...

Regards,

Pravin

Edited by kongondo
@Pravin. I moved this here in this module's support forum

Page Field Select Creator is not designed for adding multiple trees of parents/children/grandchildren.  Are you actually setting up a page field, or do you just want a quick batch way of creating these for general content?

If the latter, then take a look at these modules instead:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/batch-child-editor/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-batcher/

If the former, can you please let us know your use case in a little more detail.

Page Field Select Creator is not designed for adding multiple trees of parents/children/grandchildren.  Are you actually setting up a page field, or do you just want a quick batch way of creating these for general content?

If the latter, then take a look at these modules instead:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/batch-child-editor/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-batcher/

If the former, can you please let us know your use case in a little more detail.

Hi Adrian,

Thanx for you help.  I will explain my requirement. I want to display my clients sectorwise, technologywise, Sorting can be done on clients page using checkbox or any other option. Each client will have its individual page. 

Regards,

Pravin

I think you can still use this module to set up the page field and the Parent / Child A / Child B components of the tree, but to get the grandchildren: child A1 etc, you will need to add those by some other means - either manually or via one of the modules I mentioned.

Remember that this module is just a shortcut method for creating Page Fields and their linked pages. You should still understand how they work and also realize that once created, all settings and content pages can be manually adjusted. Does that make sense?

I think you can still use this module to set up the page field and the Parent / Child A / Child B components of the tree, but to get the grandchildren: child A1 etc, you will need to add those by some other means - either manually or via one of the modules I mentioned.

Remember that this module is just a shortcut method for creating Page Fields and their linked pages. You should still understand how they work and also realize that once created, all settings and content pages can be manually adjusted. Does that make sense?

Ok..I will do it..

Regards,

Pravin

• 2 years later...

TL;DR; Selecting a new Radio and saving, the previous one was getting reselected upon refresh. Fix, cleared all browser cache.

I had just created the field, so maybe I had a somehow polluted cache, weird. My setup, in case relevant, using clamp and Chrome on a Mac, after creating a set of Radio's, all worked AOK, no errors or odd behaviour, except, usually changing radio and saving the page the Radio was reverting back to the one it had been before.

Cleared Chrome cache and totally fixed.

Edit: DOH! I think this may have been due to Admin being signed in on another tab—how embarrassing...

Edited by alan
DOH!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adrian,

I think it would be good to provide a dedicated field for setting the parent page title rather than setting it the same as the field title.

An example: I'm creating a select field to choose a geographical region. Only one region may be selected, so the field title should be "Region". Each individual page represents a region and together they make up the set of regions, so it makes sense to me that the parent of those pages should be titled "Regions" and not "Region".

• Like 1

Actually please try a couple of versions back also. I'll certainly get this fixed when I'm back on the 12th, but it would be good to have things working for you before then. Also if you want to submit a PR for your feature request above is be happy to accept it. Perhaps discuss a little with @Jonathan Lahijani because I know he is planning some new features also. 

Hi @Robin S - I have fixed the bug regarding child page creation - I think it was a change to "empty" in PHP 7 that was the cause.

I'm in transit now, but I can take a look at the new option for being able to set the parent page title in the next few days.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 8:26 PM, Robin S said:

I think it would be good to provide a dedicated field for setting the parent page title rather than setting it the same as the field title.

Done - let me know how it goes for you.

I also fixed some other PHP7 issues with the Option 2 approach.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2018 at 6:09 AM, adrian said:

I have fixed the bug regarding child page creation

On 11/12/2018 at 9:38 AM, adrian said:

Done - let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks for these updates - working perfectly now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robin S said:

Thanks for these updates - working perfectly now.

Great - thanks for testing.

I just committed another minor update that renames and reorders some of the settings and divides them into "required" and "optional" to make things a little more logical and quicker to complete.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adrian said:

I just committed another minor update that renames and reorders some of the settings and divides them into "required" and "optional" to make things a little more logical and quicker to complete.

Nice one.

I have another enhancement in mind but perhaps you wouldn't agree with the premise. The default Child Template Suffix is "Items" so I guess you like to name the child templates with the plural, but to me the parent template should be plural and the child template should be singular. And ideally the singular wouldn't be created by appending the word "item" but would be a bit smarter. So if the noun is "car" then the parent template is "Cars" and the child template is "Car". And as a trickier example, if the noun is "bacterium" then the parent template is "Bacteria" and the child template is "Bacterium".

An an experiment I added pluralize.js to the module and it's working great, with ProcessPageFieldSelectCreator.js consisting of:

$(window).load(function() {
    $('#Inputfield_fieldLabel').bind('keyup change', function() {
    	var field_label = $('#Inputfield_fieldLabel').val();
    	var plural = pluralize(field_label);
    	var singular = pluralize(field_label, 1);
	    $('#Inputfield_parentTemplate').val(plural);
	    $('#Inputfield_childTemplate').val(singular);
	    $('#Inputfield_parentPageTitle').val(plural);
    });
});

Of course the user would want to double-check that the plural/singular forms are what they want, but this addition could save time if you are creating a lot of select fields (which is something I needed to do recently). The pluralize library looks like it handles non-English languages too but I couldn't find documentation on that and I'm not competent to test that myself.

What do you think?

• Like 1

Hi Robin,

I don't actually ever use the "_items" suffix myself - I always go with "cars" and "car" for the parent and child templates, respectively. That approach was to make things as logical as possible without the user having to change these settings.

I am definitely keen to take a different approach though and the pluralize library seems like a good option. I see that it contains lots of rules for non-standard "s" suffixes, although it doesn't look like there any non-English ones provided.

The other concern I have is the "Singular words with no plurals" list (https://github.com/blakeembrey/pluralize/blob/298eb67f19369dd30207c0817eda4f0045c6c1a7/pluralize.js#L393) - won't these result in the parent and child templates having the same name? Do we just need a check to make sure they're not the same and if so empty the child temptate name field and prevent the form from submitting until it is completed?

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

@Robin S - I went ahead and added the pluralize.js library. I have also added a check so that if the parent and child templates are the same, then the child template name is removed so that the form won't submit and you need to manually set them. A simple example to test this is using "Sheep" for the Field Label. In this situation I would just manually name the parent template to "sheeps" and be happy with that, but I didn't want to assume anything, hence the approach I took.

Let me know what you think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adrian said:

I see that it contains lots of rules for non-standard "s" suffixes, although it doesn't look like there any non-English ones provided.

Yeah, it's not clear exactly which languages are supported but the example in the docs...

pluralize('蘋果', 2, true) //=> "2 蘋果"

...makes me think there is some non-English language support.

52 minutes ago, adrian said:

I have also added a check so that if the parent and child templates are the same, then the child template name is removed so that the form won't submit and you need to manually set them.

Good solution.

Thanks for adding this feature.

• Like 1

@Robin S and anyone else interested - there have been several small updates over the last week. Some reorganization of the form and some tweaks to the pluralize functionality, including now automatic selection of the page field value type and input field type based on the plurality of the field label.

Anyway, please update to the latest and let me know what you think of the new tweaks.

• Like 2