Unable to log into Processwire website

einsteinsboi

I built a simple Processwire website about a year ago.  Recently the client asked me if I would make some changes, and I have not been able to get the login page. I'm not sure what's going on.  I know for a fact that I didn't change the standard login url, but when I go to the domain url and add /processwire to the end of it I simply get redirected to the site.  I confirmed that the login url is correct by looking at my master sheet of logins and passwords, so I know it's the right page, but it won't load.

I wonder if it matters that the site is installed on a subfolder? So the url looks like this: masterurl.com/sitefolder/processwire.

I've been able to make the changes the clients wanted by directly editing the database but I need to be able to log in and work on the website.

Any ideas?

cheers

Just a wild guess - do you think it is possible that they have messed with the .htaccess file or have some other redirect rules (maybe even in the apache conf file) that would be causing the redirect?

Thanks for the suggestion. I did think about that, but the client is a complete non-techie and would not have touched anything. Plus he only has the login to the processwire admin, not the cpanel or anything like that.  So I'm quite puzzled.  The main domain just has an index.html placeholder file in place because I haven't quite started building the site on that yet.  The only thing I can think of is that my host ran some updates that may have affected something. But all my other websites on that server (none of them PW) work just fine.

...when I go to the domain url and add /processwire to the end of it I simply get redirected to the site.

That's odd - you should surely get a PW 404 in normal circumstances for any page that PW thinks doesn't exist, not a redirect. Is it a 301 or a 302? (Not that it makes all that much difference.)

Have you got FTP access? Anything in the error log (/site/assets/logs/errors.txt)?

I know you don't expect the client to have changed the .htaccess, but it might be worth renaming it and trying a plain vanilla .htaccess from the PW download, just in case they or the hoster have changed something.

• Like 3

Diogo and Horst's suggestion to add that bit of code to a template file–temporary–is probably the fastest way to find out what the admin URL is:

echo $pages->get(2)->url; 

Also, double check that you are using a trailing slash on your admin URL. 

• Like 3

OK, so I've checked the database and the admin url is definitely /processwire.

So that wasn't the problem. But all the directions to check the htaccess paid off :)  I opened and made some changes. I commented out the "RewriteBase /" line and added  "RewriteBase /sitefolder/ " where sitefolder is the name the subfolder the site is installed in and that's done the trick!!!  ^-^ 

I'm not entirely sure why this was the problem since I never had issues logging in a year ago when I created the site and as far as I know nothing's changed on the server since, but it works now and I can log in :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and help! :)

Diogo and Horst's suggestion to add that bit of code to a template file–temporary–is probably the fastest way to find out what the admin URL is:

echo $pages->get(2)->url; 

Also, double check that you are using a trailing slash on your admin URL. 

No, the fastest way is

echo '<a href="'.$pages->get(2)->url.'">this way to the admin</a>'; 

:)

• Like 2