Menu Builder

kongondo

Update: Menu Builder 0.2.2

As of today and this version onward, ONLY ProcessWire 3.x is supported.

Changelog

1. Support for namespaced ProcessWire only (ProcessWire 3.x).
  2. Various bug fixes to getMenuItems(), breadcrumbs and saving menus in multi lingual environments (thanks for all reports in GitHub and the forums).

Available now in the modules directory.

Please note that this version does not address any PHP 7.x issues.

Screen: Menu Builder in UiKit

mb-version-22-pw3-only-uikit-screen.thumb.png.b4e96d1003b0e4a0a7ccfe1d41073c8a.png

• Like 1

On 06/10/2017 at 10:16 AM, Zeka said:

Hi @kongondo

I have this setup: 

• MenuItem1
    • Submenuitem_01( allowed children)
    • SubmenuItem_02 ( allowed children)
  • MenuItem2
    • Submenuitem_03 ( allowed children)
    • SubmenuItem_02 ( allowed children)

I'm using getMenuItems for building my menu, but the issue is that I get children of Submenuitem_02 as children only of the last Submenuitem_02 ( parent_id  =  id of the last Submenuitem_02 ), but I expected that I will get duplications of children pages with right parent_id for every Submenuitem_02

Of course, I can get children in my custom function but I think that in this case, getMenuItems doesn't work as expected and could be improved.

What do you think about it? 

Thanks, Eugene. 

Hi Eugene,

This is now sorted in version 022. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @kongondo

my client (using a multi-language site) just created a page, that is not relevant to anyone outside of Germany and therefore deactivated the english Version with ProcessWires default settings ("Active?"-checkbox behind the page url in settings) and it seems like inactive pages do not disappear in navigations built with MenuBuilder.

Is there a way to solve this, that I just didn't see or do I have to work around this?

Kind regards,
Thomas

@thmsnhl,

Just to clarify, are you saying you want the German version of the page to appear in the menu but not the English one? Meaning, if viewing the site in German, we see the page in the menu, if we view it in English, we don't. No, I've never considered such a scenario but now I see I should. If we are to skip that item from the menu, if it is a parent item, obviously, its children will also be skipped. 

@kongondo,

this is exactly what I would like to do.
And yes, if it is a parent page, the whole branch would be invisible but I guess this is self-explanatory and maybe even a wanted behaviour in most cases. If you don't want English users to see the parent, most likely you don't want them to see the children too.

@thmsnhl,

Could you please test the following for me before I commit? I have tested using both the normal way of generating menus (render()) and using the method getMenuItems(). I have also tested with include children and it works fine. As for include children, ProcessWire internally takes care of the inactive pages (I guess because it uses a find()), so I didn't have to touch that. 

In MarkupMenuBuilder.module, please add the following code after line # 216:

if(!$p->viewable($language)) continue;

Any issues?

Thanks.

There is another Problem with multi language, but I think this is more a general PW issue.

Steps to reproduce:

- Configure at least a second language in PW.

- As admin, work with the "other" language, not the default (Set in Admin->Profile).

- Create menus

- Switch back to default language (Set in Admin->Profile)

The titles are not set for the default language. (See screenshot).

It is the same problem when you create a field etc. in PW as a non standard language user.  The value for the default language is not being set.

mbbug.png.09f615b7f6d1affb9e1f993ac0a6b616.png

@theo,

I'll have a look. I'm not sure about the ProcessWire side of things but MB itself does check for languages when installed in a multi-language site. It doesn't activate other languages when creating a menu (which are hidden pages in admin). Hence, when saving the menu it only saves the menu title as $page->title = 'My Menu'. Since no language is specified nor is there input for other languages, the title is saved to the current language's title field. When you switch to another language, there is no menu title to display since none was saved in the first place.

By the way, this is the reason why in multi-language sites, menus cannot be rendered using their titles or names. You need to pass render() the menu ID or page.

Back to the missing titles issue, it's an issue I have previously considered. Back then, I came to the conclusion that it was not worth having menu items with multi-lingual titles since I couldn't think of a scenario to justify it. Your use case demonstrates  that I need to revisit the issue. 

I'll work on this for the next version. When creating and editing menus, there will be inputs for the different languages that are available (creating) and for enabled languages (when editing) [difference here being no need to edit the title of a menu title if that language is not enabled for that menu]. 

Above means I'll have to change the way menus are created. It has been suggested before that MB should lose the textarea for input of menu titles (one-per-line). I think I'll go with a simple table (like the one used when adding custom menu items) with columns for each available language or a ul list or div with tabs for each available language (i.e., mimic ProcessWire's language title field). To create additional menus simultaneously, one would only have to click on an 'add another menu link/icon'.

This will also resolve the issue of rendering menu items using their titles in multi-language sites. If a menu title or name is passed to render(), we will look for a menu by that title in the user's language.

Sorry for the long post! Some of these are notes-to-self to be honest :P

Edited by kongondo
typos
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

dear kongondo, help the beginner:

two languages on the site
connected module 0.2.3

$menu = $modules->get('MarkupMenuBuilder');
                    $options = array(
                        'has_children_class' => 'has_children',
                        'current_class' => 'current',
                        'menu_css_id' => 'nav_home',
                        'menu_css_class' => 'slimmenu',
                    );
                    echo $menu->render('menu', $options);

1 language - everything is fine, 2 language:

Error: Exception: No menu items found! Confirm that such a menu exists and that it has menu items. (in /var/www/***/site/modules/ProcessMenuBuilder/MarkupMenuBuilder.module line 1415)

<code>#0 /var/www/***/site/modules/ProcessMenuBuilder/MarkupMenuBuilder.module(105): ProcessWire\MarkupMenuBuilder-&gt;throwError()</code><br />
<code>#1 /var/www/***/site/templates/home.php(24): ProcessWire\MarkupMenuBuilder-&gt;render(&#039;menu&#039;, Array)</code><br />
<code>#2 /var/www/***/wire/core/TemplateFile.php(287): require(&#039;/var/www/...&#039;)</code><br />
<code>#3 /var/www/***/wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\TemplateFile-&gt;___render()</code><br />
<code>#4 /var/www/***/wire/core/WireHooks.php(714): ProcessWire\Wire-&gt;_callMethod(&#039;___render&#039;, Array)</code><br />
<code>#5 /var/www/***/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks-&gt;runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\TemplateFile), &#039;render&#039;, Ar</code></b><br /><br /><small>This error message was shown because: you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged. </small></p>

What did I want to do?

23 minutes ago, duncan said:

What did I want to do?

It's all in the documentation here :). Please also read the last couple of post above yours.

Similar to render(), the first argument is not optional and can be a Page object, a title, name or id of a menu or an array of menu items returned from a menu's menu_items field. This means that you only have to retrieve a menu once and pass that to both render() and renderBreadcrumbs()Note that for multilingual environments, you cannot pass the method a title or a name; only the other three choices will work

Since your site uses various languages, you need to pass render() either the ID of your menu, its Page object or an array of menu items. As per the post above yours, this limitation will be resolved in an upcoming update.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. It is my first time playing with MB and I am thrilled how simple it was to attache two menus (header and footer) to my current project. Now my goal is to have the menus in multilanguage and that is where something is still missing on my end. Reading carefully the manuals, I switched the rendering to menu IDs (getting them from the URL of the menu edit link) and both menus work fine. Presently I switched the default language to be Bulgarian and second - English. The issue I am having is that if I browse the default website: domain.com it shows everything in Bulgarian (which is fine). However if I point to domain.com/en/ it still shows the menu in Bulgarian instead of switching the page titles to the english version.

My menu structure is quite simple and I only added the MB to have a better understanding of its functionality so here is the structure:

-- Home
-- About
-- Services
---- Service 1
---- Service 2
---- Service 3
-- Portfolio
-- News
-- Contact us

To call the menu I am using the following rendering code:

//Building the array of options
$options = array(

'wrapper_list_type' => 'ul',// ul, ol, nav, div, etc.
'list_type' => 'li',// li, a, span, etc.
'menu_css_id' => 'menu-top-menu',// a CSS ID for the menu
'menu_css_class' => 'menu-item',// a CSS Class for the menu
'submenu_css_class' => 'sub-menu',// CSS Class for sub-menus
'has_children_class' => 'menu-item-has-children',// CSS Class for any menu item that has children
'current_class' => 'current-menu-item',
);

// load the module
$menu = $modules->get('MarkupMenuBuilder');// $menu is an example
// Render the menu by title
echo $menu->render(1029, $options); // calling menu by ID to allow it on multilanguage site

Is there anything I am missing here? In the MB admin if I switch the language I see the links properly changing (for english it changes the path to /en/... but the titles are kept the same...

MenuBuilder-MultiLanguage.png

@MilenKo

There are two routes how you can achieve ML menus with MB.

1. Create separate menu for every language and depending on user language pass different pages for menu render method.

2. Enable additional language for the menu ( Settings tab -> Other active languages for this menu) I think that it is what you are looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MilenKo said:

Is there anything I am missing here? In the MB admin if I switch the language I see the links properly changing (for english it changes the path to /en/... but the titles are kept the same...

Alternatively, just use the 'default_title' option.

default_title: Controls whether to display Menu Builder saved menu item titles/labels versus displaying pages' actual/current titles. This is useful in scenarios where, for example, you need dynamic titles such as in a multilingual environment where you would want navigation labels to change depending on the current language. The default option is to display saved titles. To instead display actual titles, set option to 'default_title' => 1 in your options array.

Switch it to 1 and you are good to go (0 means show what has been saved in MB; 1 means show the actual ProcessWire page's title for that menu item).

Thank you @Zeka and @kongondo

It seems as it was my mistake of having enabled Other active languages of the menu after I have added the pages and for some reason the language got the same in both. After disabling the option and reenabling it, I got the tabs for Default and English language texts so it is all good now and switching properly.

So to say, it is all working fine for multilanguage site out of the box as far as the person has taken the following steps:

1. Figure out the options array and apply the proper styling to the menu.

2. While rendering the menu, do not call the menu by name but use ID as the simplest thing to do (grab the URL from the menu edit link - id=XXXX where xxxx is the ID. In the instructions it was saying to call the menu using: 

echo $menu->render('XXXX', $options);

However thanks to the community and the knowledge sharing here, I figured out how to fix it using the following:

echo $menu->render(XXXX, $options);

4. In order to enable multilanguage options, just go to Setup>Menu Builder. From there while creating or selecting an already created menu, click on the Settings tab and enable the languages you would like the menu to be translated to from the: Other languages for this menu option. Once this step is completted, every menu option would have separate tabs for every language selected.

5. Test the menu pointing to the website url in different languages, ex. /en/ , /ru/ , /de/ etc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello,

does anybody know, if there is a possibility to only output a certain menu level or certain siblings in the menu?
Like the begin of a start-level?

F.e. start the output at level "sub":

- parent item 1

- parent item 2 (don't output this)

- - sub item 2.1 (only show / output this)

- parent item 3

Currently used version is V 0.1.3 with ProcessWire 2.7.2

Regards
Bacelo

Hi @Bacelo,

Achievable from version 0.1.5 using the getMenuItems() method  (see examples here) or from version 0.1.8 using the 'disable menu items' feature. Please note that support for ProcessWire 2.x ceased with version 0.2.2. In your case, you can upgrade Menu Builder up to version 0.2.1. and you'll be fine. If you can though, I'd advise to upgrade to ProcessWire 3.x.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bacelo said:

where can I download Menu Builder V 0.2.1 ?

From the repo. Browse the repository commits and click on the commit shown in the screenshot below:

mb-github-021-version.thumb.png.f04aa8e2a88584b4435d6dc10657114a.png

That will take you to the page where you can clone/download that version.

Edited by kongondo
added link to repo
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2018 at 9:55 PM, bud said:

Hello, could someone may help me?

1. The menu builder just works fine but I am wondering if there is a way to have options for autocollapsing parts of the menu pathes as you can do with the module markup simple navigation? It would help me because my navigation is pretty large and I should not view the whole navigation tree after a fresh installation of the module.

2. The menu option "custom" works great for custom links but I have found no way to "import" a whole path of the processwire tree into the menu builder as you can do with the option "page". What could I do instead of getting all the menu items in just one by one?

3. I also tried first to use the "custom" option of the module for importing a whole items path and then switch over to the "custom" options but it seems not to be possible. 

May someone could help?

Hi @bud,

Welcome to the forums

1. There is no auto-collapse option. You would have to code that yourself, e.g. using JavaScript. Maybe using the getMenuItems() method is best in this case.
  2. I don't understand this question. Please elaborate and/or illustrate
  3. I don't understand this question either.

I'm still not sure I follow. Custom menu items are ones you create yourself and are external to your ProcessWire site. E.g. www.google.com, etc. I'm also not sure whether you are talking about the backend or frontend of Menu Builder.

20 hours ago, bud said:

do you have some code to share related to your default menu tree (which uses just your css) where the menu tree just opens the part of the tree which is active (for example: one parent and their children should be open and everything else closed 

There's tons out there. Please Google 'accordion menu' OR (CSS only accordion menu). Once you've found what you like, let us know here and we can help you implement it.

@bud,

You can already do all the things you've mentioned.

1. You can add 1 or 2 or 3 or 1000 or whatever number menu items in one go.
  2. You can delete them before OR after adding them to the menu.
  3. You can reorder items after adding them to the menu (drag and drop).
  4. You can nest items after adding them to the menu (drag and drop)
  5. You can rename menu item and also change its link (custom items)

See this example...

mb_backend_basics.thumb.gif.1f81c6c66980ae661f3179c59a4f2ff6.gif

Maybe you mean copy and paste custom links rather than entering them one by one? I think with a little JavaScript magic, that can be done..

If I'm still not getting you, you'll have to make a screengrab/video to explain what you are after,  I'm afraid.