Menu Builder

kongondo

This is the code how you would write for Pagekit CMS. I found it in a PagekitTheme. It should look very similiar in Processwire. Maybe you could change the code so that it works in Processwire.

<?php if ($root->getDepth() === 0) : ?>
<ul class="uk-navbar-nav">
<?php endif ?>

<?php foreach ($root->getChildren() as $node) : ?>
    <li class="<?= $node->hasChildren() ? 'uk-parent' : '' ?><?= $node->get('active') ? ' uk-active' : '' ?>" <?= ($root->getDepth() === 0 && $node->hasChildren()) ? 'data-uk-dropdown':'' ?>>
        <a href="<?= $node->getUrl() ?>"><?= $node->title ?></a>

<?php if ($node->hasChildren()) : ?>

<div class="uk-dropdown uk-dropdown-navbar">
            <?php endif ?>

<ul class="uk-nav uk-nav-navbar">
                <?php elseif ($root->getDepth() === 1) : ?>
                <ul class="uk-nav-sub">
                <?php else : ?>
                <ul>
                <?php endif ?>
                    <?= $view->render('menu-navbar.php', ['root' => $node]) ?>
                </ul>

</div>
            <?php endif ?>

<?php endif ?>

</li>
    <?php endforeach ?>

</ul>
<?php endif ?>
As an example:

Instead of "$node->hasChildren()" you could write "$node->numChildren(true)". Look at this navbar:

It is for Bootstrap but the logic is the same. Just add another div.

And you don´t need to use the root. I think that the MenuBuilder Module creates an array which you can use.

Hi Mario,

Welcome to ProcessWire and the forums.

Currently, that's not possible but it is something I've been thinking about. Please see the post above yours. There's no ETA for this at the moment. Meanwhile, you can try this.

Edit: Even with the addition of 'extra attributes' such as data-xxxx, it will still not be possible to have both the inner <div> and inner <ul>, unless you try the solution I linked to above if you still want to use Menu Builder for this.

Edited by kongondo

Thanks jannisl and kongondo for your reply! Unfortunately i'm far from knowing PHP very good. This problem here is the last step to motivate me enough to really learn PHP.  :rolleyes:

I used the github link from jannisl and tried to modify this (hopefully) working bootstrap navbar for UIKit. It looked like the easiest possibility for me to understand. I changed the classes and added the missing div. But it doesn't work. No entries in the navbar and the inspector shows only the root page. 

The modified code looks like this:

<nav class="uk-navbar">
			<ul class="uk-navbar-nav">
				<?php
				// navigation bar consists of homepage and its visible children
				if($homepage->id == $page->rootParent->id || $homepage->url == $page->menuActiveOverrideUrl) {
					echo "<li class='uk-active'>";
				} else {
					echo "<li>";
				}
				echo "<a href='//$config->httpHost$homepage->url'>$homepage->title</a></li>";
				foreach($homepage->children as $item) {
					if($item->numChildren(true)) {
						echo "<li class='uk-parent' data-uk-dropdown>";
						echo "<div class='uk-dropdown uk-dropdown-navbar'>";
						echo "<ul class='uk-nav uk-nav-navbar'>";
						foreach($item->children as $sub_item) {
							echo "<li><a href='//$config->httpHost$sub_item->url'>$sub_item->title</a></li>";
						}
						echo "</ul>";
						echo "</div>";
						echo "</li>";
					} else {
						if($item->id == $page->rootParent->id || $item->url == $page->menuActiveOverrideUrl) {
							echo "<li class='active'>";
						} else {
							echo "<li>";
						}
						echo "<a href='//$config->httpHost$item->url'>$item->title</a></li>";
					}
				}
				?>
			</ul>
		</nav>

Could someone point me to the mistakes i made?

Mario

Because i really wanna use the Menu Builder, a friend of mine helped me to build a working solution.  ;)​  We're using the above mentioned solution from @Webrocker as a basis. Maybe it's helpful for others who wanna use the Menu Builder and the UIKit Navbar and so i post the code here: 

<nav class="uk-navbar">
						<?php
						$mainmenu_items_json =  $pages->get('name=main-menu')->menu_items; // this is the menu page in menu builder, could also be fetched with the ID
						$mainmenu_items = json_decode($mainmenu_items_json, true);

if( count($mainmenu_items) > 0 ){
							$out = '<ul class="uk-navbar-nav">';
							foreach($mainmenu_items as $id => $item){
								$isCurrentPage = ($item['pages_id'] == $page->id || ($page->parent_id != 1 && $item['pages_id'] == $page->parent_id));

$subs = false;

if(!isset($item['parent_id'])) {
									$url = ($item['url']) ? $item['url'] : $pages->get($item['pages_id'])->url;
									$target = (1 == $item['newtab']) ? 'target="_blank"':'';

foreach($mainmenu_items as $sub_id => $sub_item){
										if(isset($sub_item['parent_id']) && $sub_item['parent_id'] == $id) {
											$subs = true;
											break;
										}
									}

$class = 'class="'.($subs ? 'uk-parent ' : '').($isCurrentPage ? 'current uk-active' : '').'"';

$out .= '<li '.$class.($subs ? ' data-uk-dropdown="" aria-haspopup="true" aria-expanded="'.($isCurrentPage ? 'true' : 'false').'"' : '').'><a href="' . $url . '" class="" ' . $target . '>' . $item['title'] . '</a>';

if($subs) {
										$out .= '<div class="uk-dropdown uk-dropdown-navbar uk-dropdown-bottom"><ul class="uk-nav uk-nav-navbar">';
									}

foreach($mainmenu_items as $sub_id => $sub_item){
										if(isset($sub_item['parent_id']) && $sub_item['parent_id'] == $id) {
											$url = ($sub_item['url']) ? $sub_item['url'] : $pages->get($sub_item['pages_id'])->url;
											$target = (1 == $sub_item['newtab']) ? 'target="_blank"':'';

$out .= '<li><a href="'.$url.'" class="'.$target.'">'.$sub_item['title'].'</a></li>';
										}
									}

if($subs) {
										$out .= '</ul></div>';
									}

$out .= '</li>';
								}
							}

$out .= '</ul>';
							echo $out;
						}
						?>
					</nav> 

It's like @Webrocker says: The best of both worlds! And as a side note: My friend didn't know anything about PW before. After 15 min. he had that solution ready. I think that says everything about the flexibility and the possibilities of PW. Thanks for that CMS and the really great community here!

Mario

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Kongondo,

I am trying to use the Menu Builder for the past one week..

The below is used in header.tpl (smarty template)

<nav class="menu">

{$menu = $modules->get("MarkupMenuBuilder")}
	{$menu->render('testmenu')}

</nav>

I am able to generate the menu but without being able provide css calss for the submenus,

however as soon i add $options as mentioned in your docs like below

<nav class="menu">
  	 	{$options = array(
		        'wrapper_list_type' => 'ul',
		        'list_type' => 'li',
		        'menu_css_class' => 'type-1',
		        'submenu_css_class' => 'dropmenu',
		        'current_class' => 'active',
		        'default_title' => 0,
		        'include_children' => 4,
		        'm_max_level' => 1,
		        'current_class_level' => 1,
				)}

{$menu = $modules->get("MarkupMenuBuilder")}
		{$menu->render('testmenu', $options)}
</nav>

i get this error

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\site\modules\TemplateEngineSmarty\TemplateEngineSmarty.module on line 145

Fatal error: Exception: Syntax error in template "D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\site\templates\views\partials\header.tpl" on line 16 "'wrapper_list_type' => 'ul'," - Unexpected " => ", expected one of: "","" , ")" (in D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\site\modules\TemplateEngineSmarty\TemplateEngineSmarty.module line 109) #0 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\site\modules\TemplateEngineFactory\TemplateEngineFactory.module(100): TemplateEngineSmarty->render() #1 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\core\Wire.php(459): TemplateEngineFactory->hookRender(Object(HookEvent)) #2 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\core\Wire.php(333): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #3 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\modules\Process\ProcessPageView.module(187): Wire->__call('render', Array) #4 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\modules\Process\ProcessPageView.module(187): Page->render() #5 [internal function]: ProcessPageView->___execute(true) #6 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\core\Wire.php(398): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #7 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\core\Wire.php(333): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #8 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\ind in D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\index.php on line 248
Error: Exception: Syntax error in template "D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\site\templates\views\partials\header.tpl" on line 16 "'wrapper_list_type' => 'ul'," - Unexpected " => ", expected one of: "","" , ")" (in D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\site\modules\TemplateEngineSmarty\TemplateEngineSmarty.module line 109)

#0 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\site\modules\TemplateEngineFactory\TemplateEngineFactory.module(100): TemplateEngineSmarty->render()
#1 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\core\Wire.php(459): TemplateEngineFactory->hookRender(Object(HookEvent))
#2 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\core\Wire.php(333): Wire->runHooks('render', Array)
#3 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\modules\Process\ProcessPageView.module(187): Wire->__call('render', Array)
#4 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\modules\Process\ProcessPageView.module(187): Page->render()
#5 [internal function]: ProcessPageView->___execute(true)
#6 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\core\Wire.php(398): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#7 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\wire\core\Wire.php(333): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array)
#8 D:\xampp\htdocs\pw\ind

This error message was shown because site is in debug mode ($config->debug = true; in /site/config.php). Error has been logged.

I am not sure what i am doing wrong here ?????

Hi @centaur78,

Welcome to ProcessWire and the forums. Thanks for using MenuBuilder.

The error is being thrown by TemplateEngineSmarty.module. I have not used that module before so I am guessing here. It probably doesn't like the single quotes. Try using double quotes, i.e.:

{$options = array(
       "wrapper_list_type" => "ul",
       "list_type" => "li",
       "menu_css_class" => "type-1",
       "submenu_css_class" => "dropmenu",
       "current_class" => "active",
       "default_title" => 0,
       "include_children" => 4,
       "m_max_level" => 1,
       "current_class_level" => 1,
)}

You also seem to be missing semi-colons at the end of your PHP statements. Is that how Smarty works?

Thanks Kongondo for the reply

You also seem to be missing semi-colons at the end of your PHP statements. Is that how Smarty works?

Yes thats how Smarty works.

I have tried with double quote... still the same error.

As a last resort i have edited the menu properties of MarkupMenuBuilder.module.. to add these options as global. I know its not the right way ... but if there is any other way .. i will be more than happy to do it

Maybe ask in the smarty forum. It's just a syntax error so clearly there's something it doesn't like, or you have a typo or a whitespace in there. Maybe you are supposed to be using set method or the new setMultiple() methods? I don't know, again just guessing. See if this helps:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey kongondo,

Thank you very much for this great module.

Currently I am using it to buil ddropdown navigations and I would like to know if there is somethin planne like an "active trail" (class names) for the parent list items.

for e.g.

- Blog (active trail)

- Blog Post (active)

thanks for any information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @kongondo,

I try to use this module with a multilanguage site with ProcessWire 3.0.15 (devns), but when I switch the language the menu does not show up. It only appears on the default language (german). Here is the code I used:

$menu = $modules->get('MarkupMenuBuilder');
    $options = array(
        'default_title' => 1,//0=show saved titles;1=show actual/current titles
    );

$menu->render('mainmenu', $options));
The titles of the pages that are in the menu are translated in ProcessWire. 
Any suggestions what I can do to get it running?

@jmartsch,

Does it work in PW 2.7.xx in your setup? I am afraid I haven't tested any of my modules in PW 3.X (haven't even had time to install this version :-X ) and won't be doing so at least until we have a stable release of PW 3..because I am really constrained for time  :(

Hi @kongondo. 

It doesn´t even work in PW 2.7.3. When I dump  ($menu->render('mainmenu', $options)) to my Tracy Debug Bar in my main language, I see the generated code for the menu. As soon as I switch the language the output of the dump is false, the menu does not seem to exist.

EDIT: When using standard processwire API in my smarty template, the titles are fine.

{foreach $homepage->and($homepage->children) as $p}
                    <li {if $p->id == $page->id} class="active"{/if}><a href="{$p->url}">{$p->title}</a></li>
                {/foreach}

I'm stumped to be honest. One, because I don't know much about ML setups. However, a number of people here seem to be using it fine in their ML installs. I have also tested in the default PW ML install and it worked fine. There were a few bugs reported but I fixed all of them. The default language there is English though. I don't know if that affects anything.

Btw, You say when you use standard PW API in your smarty template it works fine. I don't follow, is there some other 'non-standard' PW API that you've been using? 

Edit: Just realised my ML tests were done in a 2.5 core! Something might have changed in 2.7.3. I have tested and it doesn't work. I'll see if I can trace what's happening....I can't promise when though...I am afraid...especially given ML is a needle-haystack thing in my case :-)

Edited by kongondo

My bad, i lie. I have just tested and it works fine in PW 2.7.3. Make sure you have the option 'defaultTitle' => 1, for this to work. Pass that in the array to renderMenu()

Edited by kongondo
more info

Hi @kongondo,

I try to use this module with a multilanguage site with ProcessWire 3.0.15 (devns), but when I switch the language the menu does not show up. It only appears on the default language (german). Here is the code I used:

$options = array(
    );

$menu->render('mainmenu', $options));// @kongondo note this line is the problem...
The titles of the pages that are in the menu are translated in ProcessWire. 
Any suggestions what I can do to get it running?

OK, so I need a life or glasses or both! I missed that....

From the docs it says this about the method render()   :) [reason is in ML environment, MB will not always know what 'mainmenu' is (title varies per language)]

The first argument is not optional and can be a Page object, a title, name or id of a menu or an array of menu items returned from a menu's menu_items field. Note that for multilingual environments, you cannot pass the method a title or a name; only the other three choices will work. The second argument is an optional array and will fall back to defaults if no user configurations are passed to the method.

@kongondo

Thank you for clarification. It works in my multilingual site if I use it with an ID:

$menu->render($pages->get(1126), $options)

But now another problem occurs. There are several empty A tags between my menu items with this configuration:

$defaultOptions = array(
            'wrapper_list_type' => 'div',//ul, ol, nav, div, etc.
            'list_type' => 'a',//li, a, span, etc.
            'menu_css_id' => '',
            'menu_css_class' => '',
            'current_css_id' => 'active',
            'divider' => '»',// e.g. Home >> About Us >> Leadership
            //prepend home page at the as topmost item even if it isn't part of the breadcrumb
            'prepend_home' => 1,//=> 0=no;1=yes
            'include_children' => 0,//show 'natural' MB non-native descendant items as part of navigation
            'b_max_level' => 1,//how deep to fetch 'include_children'
        );

$view->set('mainmenu', $menu->render($pages->get(1126), $defaultOptions));

$view-set is for assigning the menu to my smarty variable, in case you wonder. The output looks like

<div>
<a>
</a><a href="/">Start</a>

<a>
</a><a href="/de/termine/">Termine</a>

<a>
</a><a href="/de/produkte/">Produkte</a>

<a>
</a><a href="/de/haendler/">Händler</a>

<a>
</a><a href="/de/ueber-uns/">Über uns</a>

<a>
</a><a href="/de/news/">News</a>

</div>

It's doing exactly what you've told it to do  :)  and it seems I need to update the example in the docs. The anchor tag (<a>) is always implied (it's a menu after all) so is always applied. That's why you are seeing double...the one always applied plus yours. What you need is to set an empty list_type

$defaultOptions = array(
    'wrapper_list_type' => 'div',//ul, ol, nav, div, etc.
    'list_type' => '',//li, a, span, etc. @note to self: need to remove this 'a' in docs 
    // etc..
   );

• 2 weeks later...

Been getting questions on how to build complex/custom menus. Even with the ability to pass it custom options, some menus are a bit more complex than what Menu Builder offers out of the box. My answer to such questions has, to date, been get the JSON and use that to build your menu. Not very easy for some....but no more...thanks to @Beluga, @Peter and @Webrocker + others for the inspiration/challenges.

I've now added a method in MarkupMenuBuilder to make building custom complex menus a breeze. Don't get me wrong, you still have to know your foreach loops or even better grab one of the many recursive list/menu functions in the forums (or StackOverflow) and adapt it to your needs. Don't worry though, below, I provide a couple of complete code examples using recursive functions. For a 2-level deep menu, even a nested foreach would do. Going forward, this new method is what I recommend for building complex menus if using Menu Builder.

The new method is called getMenuItems($menu, $type = 2, $options = null) takes 3 arguments. Before I show you the cool things you can do with this method, let's get familiar with the arguments.

$menu: This is identical to the first argument in MarkupMenuBuilder's method render(): Use this argument to tell getMenuItems() the menu whose items you want returned. The argument takes a Page, id, title, name or array of menu items

$type: Whether to return a normal array or a Menu object (WireArray) of menu items

$options: Similar to render() method options but please note that only 3 options (from the list of those applicable to render()) apply to getMenuItems(). These are default_titledefault_class and current_class_leveldefault_class is applied to the  item's property $m['ccss_itemclass'].

Probably not many know that MarkupMenuBuilder ships with a tiny but useful internal class called Menu. MenuBuilder uses it internally to build Menu objects that are finally used to build menus. Menu objects are WireArrays. If $type == 2, this is what is returned.

Array vs WireArray

So, which  type of output should you return using getMenuItems()? Well, it depends on your needs. Personally, I'd go for the Menu object. Here's why:

Although you can still easily build menus by using getMenuItems() to return a normal PHP Array, it's not nearly as powerful as returning and using a WireArray Menu object instead. 

Whichever type of items you return using getMenuItems(), it means you can manipulate or apply logic before or within a recursive function (or foreach loop) to each of your menu items. For instance, show some parts of the menu only to users who are logged in, or get extra details from a field of the page represented by the menu item, add images to your menu items, etc. 

Grabbing the Menu object means you can easily add some runtime properties to each Menu object (i.e. each menu item). If you went with a normal array, of course, you can also manipulate it, but not as easily as working with an object. A Menu object also means you have access to the powerful WireArray methods (don't touch sort though!). For instance, $menuItems->find("parentID=$m->id"). With a Menu object, you also get to avoid annoying isset(var) that come with arrays :-).

Here are the properties that come with each Menu object. Use these to control your logic and output menu items values. In that block of code, to the left are the indices you'd get with a normal array. The values (to the right) are the Menu object properties.

Below are examples of building the W3Bits 'CSS-only responsive multi-level menu'  as illustrated in the tutorial by @Beluga. We use 3 different recursive functions to build the menu using items returned by getMenuItems(). I will eventually expound on and add the examples to my Menu Builder site. Meanwhile, here's a (very colourful) demo

Examples

@note: The CSS is the one by @Beluga in the tutorial linked to above.

@note: Clearer examples can be found in these gists.

First, we grab menu items and feed those to our recursive functions. 

$mb = $modules->get('MarkupMenuBuilder');// get Menu Builder
// get menu raw menu items. $menu can be a Page, an ID, a name, a title or an array
#$menu = $pages->get(1299);// pass a Page
#$menu = 1299;// pass an ID
#$menu = 'main';// pass a name
$jsonStr = $pages->get(1299)->menu_items;
$arrayFromJSON = json_decode($jsonStr, true);
#$menu = $arrayFromJSON;// pass an array
$menu = 'Main';// pass a title

/** grab menu items as WireArray with Menu objects **/
// for examples 1a, 2 and 3
$menuItems = $mb->getMenuItems($menu, 2, $options);// called with options and 2nd argument = 2 {return Menu (WireArray object)}
#$menuItems = $mb->getMenuItems($menu);// called without options; 2nd argument defaults to 2

/** grab menu items as Normal Array with Menu items **/
// only for example 1b below
menuItems2 = $mb->getMenuItems($menu, 1);// called without options; 2nd argument is 1 so return array

Example 1a: Using some recursive function and a Menu object

/**
* Builds a nested list (menu items) of a single menu.
* A recursive function to display nested list of menu items.
* @access private
* @param Int $parent ID of menu item.
* @param Array $menu Object of menu items to display.
* @param Int $first Helper variable to designate first menu item.
* @return string $out.
*/
function buildMenuFromObject($parent = 0, $menu, $first = 0) {

$out = '';
  $has_child = false;

foreach ($menu as $m) {
    $newtab = $m->newtab ? " target='_blank'" : '';            
    // if this menu item is a parent; create the sub-items/child-menu-items
    if ($m->parentID == $parent) {// if this menu item is a parent; create the inner-items/child-menu-items
        // if this is the first child
        if ($has_child === false) {                    
            $has_child = true;// This is a parent                        
            if ($first == 0){                            
              $out .= "<ul class='main-menu cf'>\n";                            
              $first = 1;
            }                        
            else $out .= "\n<ul class='sub-menu'>\n";
        }

$class = $m->isCurrent ? ' class="current"' : '';

// a menu item
        $out .= '<li' . $class . '><a href="' . $m->url . '"' . $newtab . '>' . $m->title;                    
        // if menu item has children
        if ($m->isParent) {
          $out .= '<span class="drop-icon">▼</span>' .
              '<label title="Toggle Drop-down" class="drop-icon" for="' . wire('sanitizer')->pageName($m->title) . '" onclick>▼</label>' .
          '</a>' .
          '<input type="checkbox" id="' . wire('sanitizer')->pageName($m->title) . '">';
        }

else $out .= '</a>';         

// call function again to generate nested list for sub-menu items belonging to this menu item. 
        $out .= buildMenuFromObject($m->id, $menu, $first);
        $out .= "</li>\n";

}// end if parent

}// end foreach

if ($has_child === true) $out .= "</ul>\n";    

return $out;

}

Example 1b: Using some recursive function and a Menu array 

/**
* Builds a nested list (menu items) of a single menu from an Array of menu items.
* A recursive function to display nested list of menu items.
* @access private
* @param Int $parent ID of menu item.
* @param Array $menu Array of menu items to display.
* @return string $out.
*/
function buildMenuFromArray($parent = 0, $menu, $first = 0) {

$out = '';
  $has_child = false;

foreach ($menu as $id => $m) {

$parentID = isset($m['parent_id']) ? $m['parent_id'] : 0;
    $newtab = isset($m['newtab']) && $m['newtab'] ? " target='_blank'" : '';      
    // if this menu item is a parent; create the sub-items/child-menu-items
    if ($parentID == $parent) {// if this menu item is a parent; create the inner-items/child-menu-items          

// if this is the first child
        if ($has_child === false) {          
            $has_child = true;// This is a parent            
            if ($first == 0){              
              $out .= "<ul class='main-menu cf'>\n";              
              $first = 1;
            }            
            else $out .= "\n<ul class='sub-menu'>\n";
        }

$class = isset($m['is_current']) && $m['is_current'] ? ' class="current"' : '';

// a menu item
        $out .= '<li' . $class . '><a href="' . $m['url'] . '"' . $newtab . '>' . $m['title'];          
        // if menu item has children
        if (isset($m['is_parent']) && $m['is_parent']) {
              '<label title="Toggle Drop-down" class="drop-icon" for="' . wire('sanitizer')->pageName($m['title']) . '" onclick>▼</label>' .
          '</a>' .
          '<input type="checkbox" id="' . wire('sanitizer')->pageName($m['title']) . '">';
        }

else $out .= '</a>';         

// call function again to generate nested list for sub-menu items belonging to this menu item. 
        $out .= buildMenuFromArray($id, $menu, $first);
        $out .= "</li>\n";

}// end if parent

}// end foreach

if ($has_child === true) $out .= "</ul>\n";  

return $out;

}

For example 1a and 1b we call the respective functions to output the menu 

<div id="content">    
  <nav id="mainMenu">
    <label for='tm' id='toggle-menu' onclick>Navigation <span class='drop-icon'></span></label>
    <input id='tm' type='checkbox'>
<?php
  // build menu from Menu object (example 1a)
  echo buildMenuFromObject(0, $menuItems);
  // OR build menu from array (example 1b)
  #echo buildMenuFromArray(0, $menuItems2); 

?>
 </nav>
</div>

Example 2: Using a modified version of @mindplay.dk's recursive function 

/**
 * Recursively traverse and visit every child item in an array|object of Menu items.
 * @param Menu item parent ID $parent to start traversal from.
 * @param callable $enter function to call upon visiting a child menu item.
 * @param callable|null $exit function to call after visiting a child menu item (and all of its children).
 * @param Menu Object|Array $menuItems to traverse.
 * @see Modified From mindplay.dk https://processwire.com/talk/topic/110-recursive-navigation/#entry28241
 */
function visit($parent, $enter, $exit=null, $menuItems) {
  foreach ($menuItems as $m) {
    if ($m->parentID == $parent) {        
      call_user_func($enter, $m);
      if ($m->isParent) visit($m->id, $enter, $exit, $menuItems);
      if ($exit) call_user_func($exit, $m);
    }
  }
}

For example 2, we call the function (@note: a bit different from example 1 and 3) this way to output the menu 

<div id="content">
<nav id="mainMenu">
    <label for='tm' id='toggle-menu' onclick>Navigation <span class='drop-icon'></span></label>

<?php

echo "<ul class='main-menu cf'>";

visit(
  0// start from the top items
  // function $enter: <li> for a single menu item
  function($menuItem) {
    echo '<li><a href="' . $menuItem->url . '">' . $menuItem->title;
    if ($menuItem->isParent) {
      echo '<span class="drop-icon">▼</span>' .
        #'<label title="Toggle Drop-down" class="drop-icon" for="' . wire('sanitizer')->pageName($menuItem->title) . '" onclick>▼</label>' .
        '<label title="Toggle Drop-down" class="drop-icon" for="sm' . $menuItem->id . '" onclick>▼</label>' .
        '</a>' .
        #'<input type="checkbox" id="' . wire('sanitizer')->pageName($menuItem->title) . '"><ul class="sub-menu">' . 
        '<input type="checkbox" id="sm' . $menuItem->id . '"><ul class="sub-menu">';
    }
    else echo '</a>';
  }// end function 1 ($enter)
  #function $exit: close menu item <li> and sub-menu <ul> tags
  function($menuItem) {
    if ($menuItem->isParent) echo '</ul>';
    echo '</li>';
  },
  $menuItems// the menu items (Menu objects in this example)
);

?>
 </nav>
</div>

Example 3: Using a modified version of @slkwrm's recursive function

/**
 * Recursively traverse and visit every child item in an array|object of Menu items.
 * @param Menu Object|Array $menuItems to traverse.
 * @param Int $parent ID to start traversal from.
 * @param Int $depth Depth of sub-menus.
 * @see Modified From @slkwrm
 * @return string $out.    
 */
function treeMenu($menuItems, $parent, $depth = 1, $first = 0) {

$depth -= 1;

if ($first == 0){
    $out = "\n<ul class='main-menu cf'>";
    $first = 1;
  }            
  else $out = "\n<ul class='sub-menu'>";

foreach($menuItems as $m) {
    if ($m->parentID == $parent) {
        $sub = '';
        $out .= "\n\t<li>\n\t\t<a href='" . $m->url . "'>" . $m->title;
        if($m->isParent && $depth > 0 ) {
          $sub = str_replace("\n", "\n\t\t", treeMenu($menuItems, $m->id, $depth, $first));
                '<label title="Toggle Drop-down" class="drop-icon" for="sm' . $m->id . '" onclick>▼</label>' .
              '</a>' .
              '<input type="checkbox" id="sm' . $m->id . '">' . 
              $sub . "\n\t";
        }

else $out .= "</a>\n\t";

$out .="\n\t</li>";
    }
  }// end foreach
  $out .= "\n</ul>";

return $out;

}

For example 3, we call the function to output the menu

<div id="content">    
  <nav id="mainMenu">
<?php
 //parameters: menuItems, menu item parent ID, depth, first (helper variable)
 echo treeMenu($menuItems, 0, 4);

?>
 </nav>
</div>
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I guess it could now be possible to build menu markup for MenuBuilder with soma's MarkupSimpleNavigation module?

I'm not sure what the point of that would be (or whether it's even possible)?  :) ..MSN is brilliant if you want a menu that matches your page tree...MB mainly caters for the opposite need....

• Like 1

MSN is something to build markup with. I thought it was capable of getting custom WireArray in for building menu from instead of a page tree (as they are the same thing). If you got MSN set up as you need and you are familiar with it's API it is easier to use it for all menu generation instead of lerning how MenuBuilder does it. I am not saying MenuBuilder does it any worse though)) And of course you can always do it manually.

But MSN seems to be kind of a standard for PW menu markup generation and is probably more widely used than MenuBuilder. So as soon as I learned about MenuBuilder quite some time ago I was dreaming about using it just for the backend needs, and MSN for the markup. I just wrote that this use case is probably possible now. I'll write back as soon as I'll have a chance to check it out.

Thanks, kongondo!

I don't know if MSN can use a WireArray to build menus. It certainly can take a PageArray and build a menu out of that. The key here is that MSN relies on true/natural PW child-parent relationships (unless something has changed that I don't know about) to create menus. So, $page->children will make sense to it. You won't get $page->children in MB...at least not in that original sense.