Phone Number Fieldtype

adrian

@Juergen - so sorry about the label translations - totally my fault - I was so used to pushing to the dev branch lately that I didn't think about breaking changes. I don't think it's worth reverting the change that broke those labels given how new this version is, but I'll be sure not to break that again.The undefined offset on line 322 is a different thing - that happens if you don't define the example numbers in a format - note the:  | 61,07,45673456,123 at the end of the line.

australiaNoCountryAreaCodeLeadingZero | {([phoneAreaCode,0,2])} {[phoneNumber,0,4]} {[phoneNumber,4,4]} {x[phoneExtension]} | 61,07,45673456,123

What I will do though is add default example numbers so you don't get that PHP Notice.

• Like 1

Hello Adrian,

just to clearify: the empty labels problem happens after upgrading to the version with the option of hiding the labels (I think version 2.0.10) not from version 1 to version 2 (major upgrade).

Thanks for the fast fix!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juergen said:

just to clearify: the empty labels problem happens after upgrading to the version with the option of hiding the labels

Yeah, understood - I changed the names of the settings fields to be more semantically correct. I shouldn't have changed them once I pushed v2.x to master, but what's done is done now I think and it's still early days for this new version so I don't think it will affect too many people.

• Thanks 1

@adrian I've just installed the module (2.0.12), I have an issue.

PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in .../site/modules/FieldtypePhone/FieldtypePhone.module:320 when saving the module settings with this:

/*Hungary*/
hungaryAreaCodeOnly {([phoneAreaCode])}-{[phoneNumber,0,3]}-{[phoneNumber,3,4]}

If I add " | 1-21-123-4567" to the end, the notice is gone. You noted this new "part" in a post here and provide an example on the module's config page but it did not seem to be mandatory.

4 minutes ago, szabesz said:

@adrian I've just installed the module (2.0.12), I have an issue.

PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in .../site/modules/FieldtypePhone/FieldtypePhone.module:320 when saving the module settings with this:

/*Hungary*/
hungaryAreaCodeOnly {([phoneAreaCode])}-{[phoneNumber,0,3]}-{[phoneNumber,3,4]}

If I add " | 1-21-123-4567" to the end, the notice is gone. You noted this new "part" in a post here and provide an example on the module's config page but it did not seem to be mandatory.

The issue you are seeing is actually the missing pipe (|) between the name and the format. Try this:

/*Hungary*/
hungaryAreaCodeOnly | {([phoneAreaCode])}-{[phoneNumber,0,3]}-{[phoneNumber,3,4]}

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adrian said:

The issue you are seeing is actually the missing pipe (|) between the name and the format.

Thanks! These sort of cryptic patterns ARE very useful but only after I have implemented them properly :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New version:

1) Adds a new option to "Allow Letters in Input" which is to support companies who like to publicize their phone number using letters, like: 1800-CALLNOW - the default is for this to be off so validation still checks that all are digits, but with this on, you can also enter letters.

2) Has some tweaks to prevent a component suffix from displaying if there is no value for the next component. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all - I have started a new 3.0 branch which has some more breaking changes.

This new version moves the country code into it's own "data_country" database field and stores a raw version of the number in the default "data" field. The reason for this is to make it possible to do a:

$pages->find("phone=13727654876")

Before you could only find by component parts, like:

$pages->find("phone.country=1, phone.are_code=372, phone.number=7654876")

My need for this was to find a user by their full raw/unformatted phone number as returned by the Twilio sms service's POST response.

I'll keep the changes in this branch for a while, but I would encourage new installs to try this version.

Let me know how it goes.

• Like 2

Hi Adrian,

I have not yet installed the 3.0 branch because I though before I spend time on it I ask you about an issue we have.

So we still have version 2.0.15 and the field is added to users (dunno if it matter as at all...) When the inputbox of the "core" number (not country, area nor extension)  is empty then Chrome automatically fills it in with the username used for logging into ProcessWire on the standard login screen and letting Chrome save the credentials. In other words, if we have Chrome save the login info, the current user's name gets injected into the inputbox when editing a user with an empty number, and this is an annoying issue because the inputbox must be manually cleared if we want to save the user.

Have you any idea how to stop this behavior?

• Like 1

Hi @szabesz - it can probably be solved quite easily with some autocomplete attributes.

Can you please try adding: 

autocomplete="pw-phone-country"
autocomplete="pw-phone-area-code"
autocomplete="pw-phone-number"
autocomplete="pw-phone-extension"

to the respective subfields. Here is the chunk of code that these need inserting into: https://github.com/adrianbj/FieldtypePhone/blob/ab02ad1a6aafc1b1abce60317cd97ce5a2c35374/InputfieldPhone.module#L98-L116

Let me know if that works as expected and feel free to submit a PR.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply, based on it found this article: https://www.20spokes.com/blog/what-to-do-when-chrome-ignores-autocomplete-off-on-your-form This is also what you suggest, right?

The thing is that it is not my Mac which has this issue but a Windows machine I do not have access to right now. Hopefully I can test it on that machine on Tuesday. I want to make sure I test it with that setup too.

19 minutes ago, szabesz said:

This is also what you suggest, right?

Yeah, I think so. Honestly I am not too up on the current state of this autocomplete stuff, but I think my suggestions will work.

Let me know how it goes when you test on Tuesday.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello @adrian

is it possible to disable the input field length fe

style="width:60px;"

by entering something into the settings field?

If not, it would be great if you add the possibility to enter fe a "-" to disable the rendering of the style attribute. This could be useful if you are using the UIKit template because there are various input length classes ('uk-form-width-medium'....)  and you dont need the input field length.

Best regards Jürgen

• Like 1

Hi @Juergen - I just added the option to both the master and 3.x branches. Let me know if you have any problems.

@szabesz  did you ever end up testing the autocomplete stuff?

Also, I'd like to move 3.x to master pretty soon because it's definitely much easier to work with raw numbers that way. Does anyone have any ideas for any other improvements that might also be breaking changes so we can get these in for this new version?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, adrian said:

@szabesz  did you ever end up testing the autocomplete stuff?

Yes I did, I just did not have the time to report and later on forgot to. I did not do any extensive testing, I just checked if the issue was gone on that particular machine or not. Since the issue had never showed up again, I guess the changes applied were the cause of it.

• 1 month later...

FYI - I just merged the 3.0 branch to master - be warned that this is a breaking change because of the new data_country db field so please don't update existing installs unless you're prepared to do some DB manipulation - if you want to and can't figure out the required SQL commands, let me know and I can post something here.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have created a standard field type as userphone , then I added this field to the User template. I created a phone field type using Phone Field module. I added this field to the User template also.

image.thumb.png.f40f3d23d3f8849fdf15e13a06ef63b6.png

Now I used the below to create a test user

$u = new User();
$u->of(false);
$u->name = "saarun";
$u->email = "saarunthomas@example.com";
$u->pass = "123456";
$u->Phone = 9446196667;
$u->userphone = 9446196667;
$u->headline = "hello there";
$u->paid=1;
$u->addRole("registered");
$u->save();
$u->of(true);

and I tried to out put as below

$item = $users->get("saarun");
echo $item->email;
echo $item->Phone;
echo $item->paid;
echo $item->headline;
echo $item->userphone;

and I got the output a below.  Neither the userphone value nor the Phone value are output ... what am I doing here wrong  ? pls help

and I want to use this field in the Login/Register module. I want know whether this field support in the Login/Register registration form ??

image.png.eee59c5c952dd521d71cb1dd8d23cd22.png

11 minutes ago, JeevanisM said:

Hello,

I have created a standard field type as userphone

It's a good idea to limit your support request to only one category. Posting in multiple places makes it very difficult to track the progress.

• Like 1

@JeevanisM - I don't know why the integer phone number isn't working, but for the phone number field you have to set the subfields separately, eg:

$u->Phone->country = 944;
$u->Phone->number = 6196667;

or if you have the field set up to keep the area code in a separate subfield:

$u->Phone->country = 944;
$u->Phone->area_code = 619; 
$u->Phone->number = 6667;

and don't forget to use the field's formatting options to style the output how you want.

• 7 months later...