Current best way for a dual-language site?

Godfrey

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get some advice on what's the current best known way(s) and page structuring methods to create a simple dual language site.

Sorry if this may seem to be a bit repetitive of a topic because of all the past posts on language. But I've been reading a lot of these past posts, and some of them seem they may be outdated as they refer to "coming-soon" methods. I was wondering if there were new features of 2.3 I should be utilizing. 

For example, a lot of threads point to the localized URL, but now that module says there is a new feature I should rely on LanguageSupportPageNames, though I can't seem to find that in 2.3. 

Anyway, I'm simply looking to create two versions of the front-facing site. I don't care so much about creating two different language versions for the PW administration system, which I think is what some multi-language support modules in PW help with? (ex multi-language and language-alternate fields?)

So what are some of the methods you guys find works really well? And what are the modules/field-types you would use for each method?

Not sure if these are good methods, but for example maybe:

1. Have two versions of each field in each page, one in English and one in the other language. Then, setup a URL system and depending on the URL detected (/en/ or /ch/), output the appropriate field (e.g. body_english).
  2. Have a whole separate tree for the other language. Though I'm not sure how I would have one template be used for both languages, and have the "home" link go to the respective homes pages. 

Thanks for any input!

update: I also realized that I can implement method #1 with Language-Alternate Fields. But I'm wondering if I would use javascript to change the user's language ($user->language = ...... ) upon the click of a link, and have that page refresh automatically and display the clicked language. Or how I could insert a URL segment (go from site.com/en/page.php to site.com/ch/page.php) ?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, dragan! I can't believe I missed multi-language urls. I'm trying it out, and so far yes it is seems to work like magic.

Though one little thing is (not quite related), should the version # at the bottom of the admin panel should still read "2.3.0" even after upgrading?

Though one little thing is (not quite related), should the version # at the bottom of the admin panel should still read "2.3.0" even after upgrading?

Mine reads 2.3.3...Not sure whether you need to clear some cache, etc? 

Try this on a template file:

echo "<h3>The installed PW Version is: <strong>{$config->version}</strong></h3><hr>"; //system version

That will tell you the PW version installed.

• Like 1

Oh woops, it says 2.3.0. Thanks for pointing that out kongondo. Being klutzy with Github, I realized installed the master 2.3.0 version. Strange that multi language urls still seemed to work though. Got it fixed now!

They work in 2.3.0 too, it's just that they are a whole lot farther along in 2.3.4 than in 2.3.0 (and more stable too). So if you are building a site around multi-language URLs, it's worth the risk of using a dev branch (IMO) relative to the benefits you get in this aspect. 

• Like 1